Questions about how cables are made and how do different cables sound different?
Jan 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #76 of 121
So far, no actual answers to the original question. I am adding that to the proof that cables do not make any difference.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #77 of 121
[size=medium]
Funny thread. I've been swapping interconnects in my seutp, so I know first hand the effects. I recently picked up a pair of ASI Livelines, and my jaw dropped to the ground when I first listened to them. They sound nothing like any other ICs I've ever heard.

Interestingly, they also double as a digital connect, and I replaced a Nuforce digital cable between my Chord dac and Off Ramp usb converter. Bits are bits, right? Well, no. The Chord dac has massive resolution, and for whatever reason, there was a lot of music/details/definition I wasn't hearing through the Nuforce cable. Nevermind that the ASI cable is more musical and organic sounding.

I can't explain, and it's frustrating when you reach a certain level where every little change makes a difference. There are even users/designers reporting differences through computer playback with different brand hard drives & bit for bit perfect rips sounding different when ripped from different brand CD-ROM drives.

[/size]

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #78 of 121

Quote:
Funny thread. I've been swapping interconnects in my seutp, so I know first hand the effects. I recently picked up a pair of ASI Livelines, and my jaw dropped to the ground when I first listened to them. They sound nothing like any other ICs I've ever heard.

Interestingly, they also double as a digital connect, and I replaced a Nuforce digital cable between my Chord dac and Off Ramp usb converter. Bits are bits, right? Well, no. The Chord dac has massive resolution, and for whatever reason, there was a lot of music/details/definition I wasn't hearing through the Nuforce cable. Nevermind that the ASI cable is more musical and organic sounding.

I can't explain, and it's frustrating when you reach a certain level where every little change makes a difference. There are even users/designers reporting differences through computer playback with different brand hard drives & bit for bit perfect rips sounding different when ripped from different brand CD-ROM drives.

Could you give us more specifics of exactly what sounds so different with each interconnect - and perhaps tie it in with how they are constructed?

Also, have you tried any unsighted tests?

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #80 of 121

Quote:
DBT-Free Forum.

Did I ask about double blind tests? 

Nope, just unsighted (blind) tests of any sort.  No reference to the aforementioned double blind tests.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #81 of 121
What's with the stigma on DBTs?

And on another (not quite unrelated) note, take a look at this.

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #82 of 121
Funny how everyone here thinks cables don't affect the sound, but all Chinese people think cables affect the sound quite a bit, but still less than amps. They do believe, however, that the cable only affect sound on expensive IEMs. 

On a personal experience, I tried the Transwarp cable with my ER4P. I didn't know what it was before hand. I asked for a cable for ER4 that is clear and detailed and the store guy just gave me that cable without telling me what it does. I tried it, and EWW. ER4 became quite a bit warmer with more bass. Not a good try. But after that I realized that the cable does affect the sound. (Thats why all the people on the Chinese headphone forum told me not to change the ER4 cable, they said its the soul of that IEM)

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #83 of 121

Quote:

Nope, just unsighted (blind) tests of any sort.  No reference to the aforementioned double blind tests.

changing a word with their synonym that means exactly the same thing is neither smart nor proper. fact is, you're deliberately ignoring the aforementioned rule, and if you cannot respect a simple forum rule I question if you should be allowed to post here at all.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #84 of 121

Quote:
Quote:

changing a word with their synonym that means exactly the same thing is neither smart nor proper. fact is, you're deliberately ignoring the aforementioned rule, and if you cannot respect a simple forum rule I question if you should be allowed to post here at all.

No, no, a double blind test is only one specific form of blind test.  "Unsighted test" and "blind test" would be synonyms, yes, but "double blind test" is definitely not.  It is a subset and by no means is it directly implied when referring to "blind tests".  So no, I'm not ignoring the rule.

However, if the intent of the rule is to re-route discussion on any sort of blind tests (even if just asking if one has tried any) to the "Sound Science" forum, then it should be re-written to reflect that.  Semantics is very important when it comes to rules and laws; that's why we've got lawyers and politicians getting paid large sums of money to deal with them in the real world.

Regardless, the reason this thread is in the tweaks/cables forum and not the sound science forum is because if it were posted there, it would not have gotten the level of response from readers as it has/will here.

Perhaps it is best if we stay on topic.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #85 of 121

beerchug.gif
, yes, on topic and anyone who reports hearing a difference should post the specs of their cables and describe in detail as to what difference the cables have made to see if there is a consistent link.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #86 of 121

Quote:

beerchug.gif
, yes, on topic and anyone who reports hearing a difference should post the specs of their cables and describe in detail as to what difference the cables have made to see if there is a consistent link.

Isnt it proved that ER4BSP - the only difference is the cable? They use the same driver and housing.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #87 of 121
yeah right ... lol

Quote:
No, no, a double blind test is only one specific form of blind test.  "Unsighted test" and "blind test" would be synonyms, yes, but "double blind test" is definitely not.  It is a subset and by no means is it directly implied when referring to "blind tests".  So no, I'm not ignoring the rule.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #88 of 121

Quote:
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Isnt it proved that ER4BSP - the only difference is the cable? They use the same driver and housing.

Proved enough for you, but to be really sure we would have to find out if everyone has the same experience. The issue is that people's experience of cables is inconsistent, which suggests subjectivity, which suggests it is all in the mind.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #89 of 121

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Proved enough for you, but to be really sure we would have to find out if everyone has the same experience. The issue is that people's experience of cables is inconsistent, which suggests subjectivity, which suggests it is all in the mind.

Well physics proves that if two cables, only the material was different, we shouldn't be able to hear a 0.001% difference in current flow. But the ER4 cables have resistors built into them (confirm me please), so thats why they sound different.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #90 of 121

Quote:
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Purposely adding impedance to the cable through the use of an added resistor isn't exactly what we're trying discuss here, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back