Questionnaire for someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

For someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

• Wired connection to HiFi players

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Wired connection to Android phones

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • Wired connection to the iPhone

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Wired connection to PC/laptop

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Wireless connection to mobile phones in Bluetooth

Votes: 48 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 8, 2020 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

FiiO

Sponsor: FiiO
论坛 copy 2@1x.png

FiiO is somewhat of the first brand that sells the most portable headphone amplifiers around the world. Earlier we clearly knew how customers mainly use portable amps- to connect to MP3s like iPod, to laptops, and sometimes to mobile phones, esp. iPhone. However, based on today's sales data, fewer people have chosen portable amps. So we try to make this questionnaire to know how you think and thus better develop our products. Thank you so much for your support and engagement.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 52
Believe me, it will be nice have them all. Not a huge ask, is it?
But if one has to skimp on options connectivity with PC, mobile phone and wireless are kind of necessary these days.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 52
However, based on today's sales data, fewer people have chosen portable amps.
Do they buy more desktop amps or just less portable amps then ever ?

Maybe the switch to tws as portable devices or just buying the qudelix 5k

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 52
A balanced output version of the E12/A5, with power to drive High Z and Planar headphones properly. Having 2 watts of output would be very nice.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 52
A balanced output version of the E12/A5, with power to drive High Z and Planar headphones properly. Having 2 watts of output would be very nice.
I think that device would be to thick to be portable

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 52
I don't think phones have lineouts anymore so it became useless for me when I was on the market for a portable solution. I am using the BTR5 and pretty happy with it. The noise floor super low and no hiss can be heard with IEMs. The only thing is, it doesn't have enough power for larger headphone on SE and needs to go balanced for the higher power option. but that also means my headphones would need a new cable or adapter for 2.5mm

I would like to see a companion amp to your bluetooth products.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 52
Really happy with my Q5s. Sound quality and versatility with connection to use as DAC/amp are the main reasons in buying it. As with most products battery life could be improved.

On the go I have it wired to iPhone but only if I don’t use my phone much otherwise Bluetooth for the convenience.

Occasionally will have it wired to my laptop or portable speakers for music and films.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 52
You know what would be great? A portable amp case for a phone. Something that plugs in to the USB-C or lightning port at the bottom then wraps around and acts as a case, offers pass-through so you can still plug it in for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, has a built in 3.5mm audio jack adapter as well as the pass-through so you can use both jacks at once (and wired, none if that 3.5 hooked in to a Bluetooth receiver stuff), and charges when plugging in the phone via the USB-C or lightning jack.

Bonus points for allowing the amp battery to also work as a phone battery extender and having coils on the back to allow for wireless charging.

Having solid output would be a big plus as well, maybe 1w at 32 ohms or so.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 52
Whatever you guys come up with, please let it have:

- At minimum, 500mW RMS from 3.5mm out, 1000mW RMS from 2.5/4.4mm out
- MFi certification (for easy wired connection to an iPhone)
- MQA certification (for full resolution TIDAL streaming from an iPhone)
- Small OLED display (like BTR5) for basic info (volume level, sample rate, Bluetooth codec, etc.)
- USB-C
- A nice, big volume knob!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 52
FiiO is somewhat of the first brand that sells the most portable headphone amplifiers around the world. Earlier we clearly knew how customers mainly use portable amps- to connect to MP3s like iPod, to laptops, and sometimes to mobile phones, esp. iPhone. However, based on today's sales data, fewer people have chosen portable amps. So we try to make this questionnaire to know how you think and thus better develop our products. Thank you so much for your support and engagement.
All the connectivity options should be on the table. The Q5s is something I use daily. It's the audio equivalent of a high quality Swiss Army Knife. It's just good to great at everything. Give me an updated Q series mobile DAC Amp with dual AK4499 and the ability to use the AM3D module. I will gladly buy more of your products.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 52
I was struggling to choose between two options but I think I would more often connect a portable AMP through bluetooth than by wire. It gives more freedom, one cable less and is much more comfortable when moving around. Not a Fiio user (yet) but I tought I'd share my point of view :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 52
Really happy with my Q5s. Sound quality and versatility with connection to use as DAC/amp are the main reasons in buying it. As with most products battery life could be improved.

On the go I have it wired to iPhone but only if I don’t use my phone much otherwise Bluetooth for the convenience.

Occasionally will have it wired to my laptop or portable speakers for music and films.
I second this.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 52
I will be happy to see coming out ,
Q2 THX or Q1MKIII with AM3e or AM3D integrated
Nice cables included in package + good , well designed fake leather case .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back