Questionnaire for someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

For someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

• Wired connection to HiFi players

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Wired connection to Android phones

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • Wired connection to the iPhone

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Wired connection to PC/laptop

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Wireless connection to mobile phones in Bluetooth

Votes: 48 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #31 of 52
FiiO team, thanks for asking. I believe there is still a market for AMP/DAC over DAP's
I use my Q5s with AM3D for travel, to block out sounds while in Airplanes (when we could travel pre-covid) connected to either my iPhone, I pad or Laptop depending on if the seat next to me was open or not.
I prefer this set up as I can sort and display my music the way I want. I absolutely hate the way Android sorts music, so hence prefer the iPhone/iPad or PC with Amp DAC combo.
My complaint with most DAP's is that I like to sort my music Alphabetically by last name, but want it to display First/Last Name. Example Dave Koz, should display as Dave Koz, but I should find him under "K" and not "D". Apple players under IOS allow this, by offering both a "display as" and "sort as" fields.
Unless I change all the Meta Tags when using an Android based player it sorts by the D, or if I change the Meta Data, it displays as Koz,Dave.
Unless I'm missing a way to sort with Android, this inability drives me crazy and why Iike the amp/dac combo as it gives me choice and lets me sort and play music the way I want.

Agree with Xero1 several posts back, a small screen to show input/bitrate/source info/volume level would be nice add.
Also prefer the AKM DACs and really do enjoy the THX-AAA amplification, and offering 4.4 Balanced with 3.5 SE is a must.

Again thanks for asking for input.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #33 of 52
Dear FIIO,

Please make my Q5s great again. This is what I want. Maybe you can call this the "Q5S Max Pro"

1. Wireless charging
2. USB C port
3. 10,000 MaH LIPO battery (swappable)
4. Dual AMP THX AMP + Tubes
5. More power to drive the Abyss 1266 Headphone to the abyss.
6. Bluetooth 5.1
7. 4G/5G modem router
8. Dual Micro SD
9. Swappable DAC module (AK4499 & ES9038PRO)

Thank you.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #34 of 52
Dear FIIO,

Please make my Q5s great again. This is what I want. Maybe you can call this the "Q5S Max Pro"

1. Wireless charging
2. USB C port
6. Bluetooth 5.1
7. 4G/5G modem router
8. Dual Micro SD

Thank you.

Very realistic.

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #35 of 52
Dear FIIO,

1. Wireless charging
2. USB C port
6. Bluetooth 5.1
7. 4G/5G modem router
8. Dual Micro SD

Thank you.
You forgot to mention
10. Dual SIM Card slot 5G
11.Satellite Internet access with min 1200 Mbit/s , for flawless streaming services up to DSD1024
12.CLass A amplifier
13.QuickCharge 3.0
14. 4K screen

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 52
I use a chord mojo and ifi nano black - the mojo is connected to a fiio x7 (coax) to produce an improved sound (the fiio x7/am2 sounds flat by comparision) and the ifi for usb from my laptop.

My needs are for a big battery, coax and usb input and superb sound quality that is as good/better than the mojo/ifi

i do not need balanced output as i prefer single-ended and after testing balanced the sound is less emotive/analogue sounding (imo) and i feel balanced is largely a way of selling more items/cables - it would be better to have a more powerful se output.

Personally i find it irritating and it prevents me from buying daps/amps where the balanced output is reviewed as better than the single ended as though the se is an afterthought.

Also i am not bothered about bluetooth or any wireless connection but i maybe in a minority.

Hope this helps!

d

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #37 of 52
I use a chord mojo and ifi nano black - the mojo is connected to a fiio x7 (coax) to produce an improved sound (the fiio x7/am2 sounds flat by comparision) and the ifi for usb from my laptop.

My needs are for a big battery, coax and usb input and superb sound quality that is as good/better than the mojo/ifi

i do not need balanced output as i prefer single-ended and after testing balanced the sound is less emotive/analogue sounding (imo) and i feel balanced is largely a way of selling more items/cables - it would be better to have a more powerful se output.

Personally i find it irritating and it prevents me from buying daps/amps where the balanced output is reviewed as better than the single ended as though the se is an afterthought.

Also i am not bothered about bluetooth or any wireless connection but i maybe in a minority.

Hope this helps!

d
I'm with you on avoiding wireless audio connection but internet wireless connection, I'm ok :) . Besides my sony a105/fiio A5, I too am using Fiio X3II/Mojo via coax... Both sound phenomenal.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #40 of 52
My preferences:

* a flat enclosure so it doesn't rock against the phone (see Fiio A3, What were you thinking)
* 3.5mm analog in
* 3.5mm out
* usb-c digital in with decent dac
* separate charging port, also usb-c
* ability to drive high impedance headphones
* no screen
* big knurled volume knob with detent
* no Bluetooth. BT is evil.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 52
Still enjoying my old E7, got 3 of them and an Andes. Powerful enough for my big over ears. Will buy a cheap DAC/amp dongle soon on AliExpress because I read a lot of positive reviews. Waiting for the E1DA dongle with unbalanced output. Many high-end user reviews out there. People that spent thousands of $ now using this 55$ gadget. Powerful enough for planars.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #42 of 52
A BTR5 that can drive difficult headphones and can be used with wireless earphones would be excellent option. Solves for portability and acts as a decent option for desktop use as well

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #43 of 52
I wish to use it as both portable and HiFi setup, Streamer/DAC/pre amp/headphone amp. Something like Mojo/Poly, Hugo 2/2 Go. No screen, but wireless streaming from mobile phone which I think is better than Bluetooth.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #44 of 52
I wish to use it as both portable and HiFi setup, Streamer/DAC/pre amp/headphone amp. Something like Mojo/Poly, Hugo 2/2 Go. No screen, but wireless streaming from mobile phone which I think is better than Bluetooth.
Yes that would be a nice feature

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #45 of 52
I don't ask for too much, FiiO. Just make a successor for the E17K. Better internals, lower O.I., less (or better, zero) hiss. Same exact features. Tone controls, lock button, low power consumption OLED display.

In fact, I recently discarded my ol'painless, 4 y.o. E17K...and bought the same exact thing second-hand. Because it has what your current offerings don't: tone controls with logical increments. I prefer +/- bass and treble instead of only bass boost and rudely at 6db from the get go. I don't need that much.

I treat tone controls like I treat my condiments. Only if I want them, on my own terms, my own amounts. They are extra side sauce rather than the actual ingredients in the recipe. I prefer to avoid using them for correction, instead just for episodic bass/treble/midhead-ness. The earphones, as flat as possible to avoid having the manufacturer's house sound "colour-grade" the content too much, but I digress.

Anyway, I'm still using UAPP to uber my music. I definitely will still pair up a flat-tuned IEM to an E17K successor with tone controls at the ready. I've got my eye on a particular Aussie brand of IEMs for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back