Questionnaire for someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

For someone who is still interested in portable headphone amplifiers, how will you mainly use them?

• Wired connection to HiFi players

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Wired connection to Android phones

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • Wired connection to the iPhone

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Wired connection to PC/laptop

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Wireless connection to mobile phones in Bluetooth

Votes: 48 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 52
I'm happy with my Fiio A5. I'm using it to amplify the sound from my Sony nw-a105 coz I like its sound and wouldn't want any DAC ruining it hence the Fiio A5. Now I can enjoy the Sony with my high impedance headphones and even with iems, the sound is better overall. I'm contemplating to buy another A5 for my Sony zx300. Suggestion on improvement could be with the accessories...pls take a look at Sony pha-3 supplied rubber bands...they are designed to be narrower at some position so that you can use that portion at the DAP/Phone to better improve screen view or better yet, have a transparent rubber band if possible.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #18 of 52
Only one option? I use them pretty wildy

In hotels I have a HiFi Dap Line out to a Amp with a dedicated power source, day to day outside of my house I run blue tooth, when I'm home but not in my office I run straight into Android with a Dac/Amp

Still I'll be honest, I personally don't mind owning specific devices for specific things. Each little system is optimized, I don't think that there's a lot of us "optimizers" left, I think the path ahead for any portable company should be a marriage of function, convince and overall performance

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #19 of 52
Only way I would inprove BTR5 etc is for it to be a bluetooth transimtter as well as receiver. Then I would buy 2. Actually decided against buying a Q5s when I realised it couldn't transmit bluetooth.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 52
The older generation of amplifiers like the e12 and A5 could drive the HD650 and any 300 ohm headphones as well as desktop amps. I’d love to see these brought back. To have a THX balanced version of those would be ideal in my opinion. If that could have a Dirac option it would be even better but if it got too expensive I wouldn’t want it. The most important thing is that it has that kind of power In single ended and more balanced would be nice.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 52
it's because mostly Flagships doesn't have Headphone outs anymore, so DAP actually make more sense, only ones that has a DAC functionality works with phones.
So this is why Fiio hasn't been making any E12/A5 successor lately huh? all have been going for Q5, especially with how good Bluetooth isn’t is on, on quality we can try thanks Sony for opening LDAC to android android
me, I have older devices and Sony so I still have a need of good ol H/O for that and do have an E12A around. IMO the A5 is already fulfilling anyone's portable need with its low noise AND heavy lifting power, improving that can only be from actually changing how you tune it.
the A5 is like the past E12, a bit too narrow sounding still.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 52
As a student, my Alpen was hooked up to my Nokia / iPhone.
Now I hook these amps to my laptop.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #25 of 52
what about a music player with A5 specs and q1 mkII DAC with a touch sensitive scroll wheel ? Put indents to know where you need to click, touchpad nothing mechanical. Build a very simple os just for music. no music streaming or Android. Just SD card filled with your OWN music and very easy to navigate layout. 80-100 hrs of battery life using MP3's, less if using FLAC. Battery life and simplicity is the objective. Make it user repairable . Offer parts to keep it running for the next 10 years (with occasional upgraded models).

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 52
what about a music player with A5 specs and q1 mkII DAC with a touch sensitive scroll wheel ? Put indents to know where you need to click, touchpad nothing mechanical. Build a very simple os just for music. no music streaming or Android. Just SD card filled with your OWN music and very easy to navigate layout. 80-100 hrs of battery life using MP3's, less if using FLAC. Battery life and simplicity is the objective. Make it user repairable . Offer parts to keep it running for the next 10 years (with occasional upgraded models).
And a chicken nugget sauce holder

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #30 of 52
1594362839511.png

i changed my mind to wireless, its better. No wires for a change.
i still got my trusty ole e12, headfi's fav. amp from 5 yrs. back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back