Question to people with muliple headphones.
Dec 14, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #46 of 69
Three sets of headphones here. HD600 (prefer them to the 650's) / SR-125 / V6.

I'm not a collector. I've tried several other headphones and have considering buying them, but they wouldn't be an addition -- they'd be a replacement.

My HD600 is my general go-to headphone. I spend about 7-8 hours a day in front of a computer and these are the ones I wear. A very relaxing sound signature and supreme comfort.

I like my Grado's for rock and loud listening. They're just not comfortable enough and a bit too imposing to be my "Standard" headphone though.

My V6's are for gaming. I'm sorry, but people who think the HD600 is a great positional phone for FPS' are deluding themselves.

Every headphone I've tried or have considered buying has to do better in one of those roles then the headphone I already own. The HD650 was different then the HD600 and did some things better, but overall I preferred the HD600 so it had to go. I've considered the K701 for this role other. For gaming cans I really want a chance to test some ATH's but haven't bit the bullet yet. It's going to be one or the other in the end though. Similar with the grado's, most of the cans I've considered replacing mine with (RS-1/RS-2/325i) are going to replace them, not supplement them.

It really depends on what you look at headphones as. For me they're really just a tool.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #47 of 69
I had 990 and have 880, both the newer 2005 Edition. They are ok but the sibliance is really a killer. I listen to lots of Asian female pop vocal and 990/880 are simply nubearable.

On the other hand, SA5000 performs really good with clear, natural, and 'bright' highs yet without sibliance. Really good driver technology here! HD600 performs well to, but the ever slight over emphasis on the mid bass makes it not as natural for female vocals as SA5000.

Well, SA5000's ear cup/support design suck! It does have an 'echoy' signature -- similar sound as if you make a bowl of your hands and put on your ears. There is simply not enough soft sound damping materials inside the ear cup -- there are hard plastic and leather.

So judging pros and cons, overall quality wise, SA5000 and HD600 are pretty much equally scored, whereas 990/880 rank much lower.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #48 of 69
Yeah I own quite a few pairs of headphones as you can tell from my signature, and I'm in the process of acquiring a couple more.

The IEM's are typically for plane trips or anywhere i want to listen to music in a noisy environment. Different IEM's for different situations, as well. If I'll be on a plane, I'll use my Super.Fi3's or E2C's. The EP630's are for class and I use them as my "beater" IEM. The Vibe's don't isolate very well, so they are usually for home use.

As for my full size cans, I have the V6's for trance and for when I record music or need to analyze/edit recorded tracks. The 555's I use for gaming and movie watching as well as some jazz/blues/classical/acoustic type music. The Grado's are currently my portable cans and of course for my rock/metal.

The KSC75's are just all around amazing for everything as long as isolation isn't an issue.

I've just ordered a pair of Sony D777 Altus headphones as my everyday cans for walking to/from class and in the library. If they break, oh well, I got them for relatively cheap.

I'd still like to get a pair of Livewire's to use on especially long trips like a plane trip to/from China.

It's great to have such a variety of phones, and it is indeed possible to get a good amount of use in on and pleasure from headphones even if you have 5+ pairs. I always do love to hear the "what do you need with SO MANY PAIRS of headphones?!" question thrown at me, though.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make it sound so cut & dry. I'm sure some will say yes & others will say no..

I wonder. People who have owned the DT931 seem to think differently. I think there are just very few who have the 931 to compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I considered the DT990 the beyer flagship because beyer says they are.

Some people hate the hd650's, but they are still the sen flagship.

Sure, now they are. I was making a joke that the vintage headphones from Beyer were better than the current ones, which those few who know the ET-1000 tend to say they are. It's the same way with AKG and Senn: The K1000 vs. the K701? The HD6550 up against the Orpheus? Give me a break. By this definition, these companies have no current top of the line.

And in terms of the thread, the greater point in drawing attention to all this about old headphones is that collecting is a slippery slope, and that there's more to headphone life than what is currently sold at Headroom, God love 'em.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #50 of 69
There sure are line between owning headphones for actual listening sessions, and collecting. Not sure where to draw the line though, as there are lots of phones for different purposes. Portable, home/office, open/closed, etc.

I have 7 Stax phones myself, and clearly admit that I am a collector. But I also spend listening time with all of them...

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #52 of 69
Although I do own quite a bit of cans, I wouldn't really consider myself as a collector as I don't buy cans just for the sake of having them to complete my inventory. I listen to all of my cans, some more than others. Each can that I currently own I like it's sound signature with certain generes of music. Each can also has it's intended purpose be it going portable, listening while I'm at work or listening while I'm at home.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #53 of 69
i do both...but the final decision always comes down to how they sound. i never thought i'd sell my hf-1, for example, but out they went and in came the k1000.

so basically, i'll collect things that sound really good...but no matter how they good they look i can't have them around if they don't sound good to me.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #54 of 69
I think there is a fine line between collecting headphones vs. desiring different headphones for their respective qualities. However that being said I see know problem with either approach.
I wouldn't call myself a collector, because I like each headphone I own for their different characteristics. That and I tend to use my different headphones on a fairly regular basis.
I don't believe that collecting headphones solely for the sake of collecting is passe or silly either. I mean they look a heck of a lot nicer than a display case of China figurines IMO.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #55 of 69
I guess there are all kinds of people in the world. But this collector type attitude that people are talking about seems like it may be a myth. I mean I really think people are searching for a sound they want and in there search perhaps acquire a lot of headphones.

I am referring to collector just to collect idea. I think being a collector in itself is not bad. If you collect to listen and experience the different sounds. Which I think a lot do and nothing is wrong with that. I didn't start off to be collecting headphones but in time I seem to have a lot. And I enjoy most. Will likely give some away but one needs to get them before one can decide if you want to keep them!

I doubt seriously many would buy just to buy and if that's the case it has nothing to do with headphones but is a general weirdness and they likely have a lot of other issues and nonsense in there lives as well.

Basically if someone is a music lover, then collecting headphones can happen to you before you know it hehehehe. I am a music lover and dang if the headphones aren't part of that hobby as well! Just hearing all your favorite music in various playback modes depending on the headphones etc. Quite a enjoyable trip to be sure!

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #56 of 69
I have 4 pairs if I include my IEM's. The IEM's obviously have their own purpose. I use the SR225s for most music. Sextetts get used for anything vocal and anything period sometimes. HD580s only get used for gaming and the rare classical session. They all get due time still
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess there are all kinds of people in the world. But this collector type attitude that people are talking about seems like it may be a myth. I mean I really think people are searching for a sound they want and in there search perhaps acquire a lot of headphones.

Have you heard of WertherDVX?

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #59 of 69
A couple of years ago, I had a nice collection of ATH woodies. Line them up and they looked beautiful. To be honest, they didn't have the sound I was looking for. They would look even better in custom made display cases. My challenge was the lack of space in my condo. The headphones not in use wound up in my storage cage down in the basement. My collection wasn't doing me any good so I sold them. Right now, I have four headphones and I plan to whittle that down soon.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #60 of 69
I roll 3 headphones. IEMs for portable use, SR225 for music listening, and RP21 for gaming. If something new comes in, it replaces one of the current ones. Any more than that and I found I wasn't listening to all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back