Question to ATH-W5000 owners
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 24
Actually there have been a few salient questions brought up by this thread, in terms of the sound signature of the W5000. I also have a J&R W5000 (still within its return period), and have found it difficult to come up with a solid impression of this headphone. There are moments when I am close to packing it up for return, and other times where it feels as if it has earned a solid place in my line up. 

I will say this as far as break-in is concerned. My experience has been that the W5000 benefited substantially to its initial 10-12 hr break-in, to the point where any judgments before hand would have seemed highly premature. Its out-of-the-box sound was characterized by a flabby and overly warm upper bass and lower mid-range, and significantly its forward mid-range signature had not even begun to bloom.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 24
What you regard as salient, I see as commonplace within these forum threads. Just to add to the divergent perceptions, I honestly couldn't describe any aspect of the W5000's presentation as flabby or warm. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 24
This thread makes me want to buy another W5000 again just to see what happens. I highly doubt that there are THESE many different versions though. My impressions of the W5000 matches pigmode, but I actually packed it up and sold it. It did sound a bit flabby/warm. I was also not impressed by the soundstage as so many people are. Classical music on it was not as great to me as some say it was for them. I honestly was not impressed at all. Did most of us get bad pairs??? That would be far too reckless on AT's part.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
This thread makes me want to buy another W5000 again just to see what happens. I highly doubt that there are THESE many different versions though. My impressions of the W5000 matches pigmode, but I actually packed it up and sold it. It did sound a bit flabby/warm. I was also not impressed by the soundstage as so many people are. Classical music on it was not as great to me as some say it was for them. I honestly was not impressed at all. Did most of us get bad pairs??? That would be far too reckless on AT's part.

I hope to have more impressions before too long. My issue is I need to be conservative right now in what I discuss, due to the impending completion of the last two corners of my equipment triangle. I have had the Yamamoto for a couple of days, and my new cdp is being sent out tomorrow. 

Yes, I have also had question marks with wierd, or more particularly distracting soundstaging. I plan to give it an additional 150+ hr break-in along with the new cdp, as I have found subtle changes in this area during the ending of my first break-in. OTOH, my last really positive listening session with the W5000 was with Telarcs Vivaldi/Ozawa/Boston Symphony Orchestra "The Four Seasons". The point is, if my W1000 went SOL, I might still see myself turning to the W5000. Without the presence of my W1000 and the HD600, the W5000 would for me right now be golden.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
^ I don't think so but at least it keeps the conspiracy theorists amongst us engaged over the holiday period.

At this point I do find you negatively oriented commentary amusing to a certain extent, but overall it is somewhat tedious. As you tend to stay a half step away from trolling, go ahead and continue to knock yourself out. OTOH, how about sharing some more concrete impressions of your own experiences?

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
I hope to have more impressions before too long. My issue is I need to be conservative right now in what I discuss, due to the impending completion of the last two corners of my equipment triangle. I have had the Yamamoto for a couple of days, and my new cdp is being sent out tomorrow.   

When I read that you got your Yamamoto, I think I got excited for you  XD Please post your impressions. Especially with the W1000 and the W5000.
popcorn.gif

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 24
And yes, even though I'm a W5000 fanboy, I will readily admit, that stock, these are some great, but ultimately flawed headphones. I still have no idea what they were thinking with the way they bent the headband so that its near impossible to get a good fit. They could have at least made the pads a bit thicker to compensate. I have a pretty large noggin and its never fit well for me, so I can only imagine how bad it is for people with smaller head sizes.
Absolutely true. I had to perform headband bending (see picture, took 24 hours to adjust the shape) and change the ear pads to a thicker ones (custom, lambskin) to get great fit and better isolation. But the sound is that beautiful, that i am not disappointed.

CDFB0D37-9C70-4C9E-940B-78E818CAF5EB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back