Question for Shure SE-215 owners
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dutch-Guy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've got these IEM's for a while now and have always used the foam tips, and since a week I'm using the normal tips and the bass seems to be a lot heavier.
Also, does anyone have experience with tri flange tips, I'm interested in buying these.

I'm using an iPod classic with a Fiio E11 amp to listen to my music.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Eartips can be fairly subjective from person to person, since it involves getting a good fit and no ear canal are 100% identical. The best way is to try it for yourself. I personally like olive (the stock foam).

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 14
I only have the 535's and haven't tried the 215's so take this with a pinch of salt...

When I first the tri flange tips I found them really uncomfortable and couldn't use them. After a month or two of using the large olives I recently had another go and now much prefer the sound with the triples. I played around a bit with positioning in my ears and they're now fitting well.

In terms of the sound change, the triples mainly give me a fair bit more bass which was lacking before and makes them more enjoyable to listen to.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 14
I find the silicone shure tips to give the best bass response. The comply or foam shures seems to muffle the highs and mids some.

Silicone are the best imo ive always used them and prefer the sound

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 14
i never changed the tips on my SE215, i leave the stock tips on them, since i don't find any fit issue with them. the isolation is excellent, nearly perfect.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Just got the triple flange (fast shipping from the uk to holland!). But I have to admit that they are a little uncomfortable since they go really deep into your ear. Fortunately I got two big pairs and two small ones, so I'll be trimming a big pair down to double flange.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Just got the triple flange (fast shipping from the uk to holland!). But I have to admit that they are a little uncomfortable since they go really deep into your ear. Fortunately I got two big pairs and two small ones, so I'll be trimming a big pair down to double flange.

i could never wear the  triple flange. they hurt too much for me. i never tried trimming them down though.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 14
I looked at some tutorials online and I guess I'll do that to, I only thought about cutting of a flange because it was something a read very brief. I also read about a method where you cut off the stem almost completely and the  smallest flange and then attach the tip upside down.

Anyway, these are the ones I got, and I'm wondering if the stems on these are already a bit shorter than other triple flanges?

On the left you can see the smaller one, the bigger one is on the right.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 14
the way you will notice the perfect fit is that the bass will go heavier, because if the fit doesn't seal the ear canal perfectly, then the amount of the bass is lesser than the perfect seal (you can notice it when you using the foam tips, when you squeeze the foam tips and insert it to your ear canal, you will notice directly that there is no bass when the foam tips still on the process to fill your ear). For me I use the silicone tips and it provide me with a perfect seal (the shell of my SE215 is completely attach or having a full body contact with my ears). the advantage of the silicone is that it doesn't make your ear canal feels hot and it doesn't attract much earwax as the olives does, but the disadvantage is that the sound can be covered when you open your jaws (Example like yawning or eating), while the olives can make any shape of your ear canal, it will follow the shape of your ear canal even when you open your jaws. The disadvantage of the olives is that since it is a foam, it will make your ear canal hot (for like 1-2 hours of continuous using) and you will need to squeeze it before you insert it to your ear and it will take time for the foam to fill up and cover your ear canal (for maintaining perfect seal), the most important part is that the lifetime is shorter than the silicone tips (my silicone tips is like permanent lifetime compare the limited lifetime of my olives). So its still depend's on your ears though (mainly the foam is used when you want to perform on the stage or do some extreme audio mixing). Hope this help, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back