question for gamers
Sep 8, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 19
I just use my LCD-2s or in the past with my K702s with a mic and play multiplayer games like Bad Company 2, Heroes of Newerth, Starcraft 2, etc... and honestly the sound quality isn't terrible its listenable and the positioning is quite adequate. I could locate where gunshots were by the sounds themselves and all I have is my heaphones plugged into amp into a DAC, no Mixamp or Gaming Soundcard. K702s have a larger soundstage than the LCD-2s and it seemed great for gaming as the positioning honestly felt spot on even though I had no fancy software or hardware.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 19
i have been thinking of the ad700 because i play A LOT of cod and soon BF3
biggrin.gif
, so i do want good positioning, BUT if i am spending that much money i would like the pair of headphones to be good with music and movies and single player games as well. I have heard that ad700 lack bass which is not good since i listen to some dubstep and hiphop (i am not a bass head but i do want some). also this hurts immersion into movies and games. So i am thinking the ad700's are out of the question. If there is a headphone with good immersion and bass as well as good soundstage i will bump my budget to 160 to get them. has anyone heard the hd555?

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
i have been thinking of the ad700 because i play A LOT of cod and soon BF3
biggrin.gif
, so i do want good positioning, BUT if i am spending that much money i would like the pair of headphones to be good with music and movies and single player games as well. I have heard that ad700 lack bass which is not good since i listen to some dubstep and hiphop (i am not a bass head but i do want some). also this hurts immersion into movies and games. So i am thinking the ad700's are out of the question. If there is a headphone with good immersion and bass as well as good soundstage i will bump my budget to 160 to get them. has anyone heard the hd555?

You should check out the Beyerdynamic DT880. It may be on the pricier side, but its hard to find headphones with good bass AND soundstage (most open headphones lack ideal bass) at this price point. If you don't have an amp, there is a 32 Ohm version that will work well unamped (or else you'd have to spend more $$ haha). While expensive, these headphones are a worthy investment and are pretty much the best HP's for gaming according to this post:http://www.head-fi.org/t/483802/quest-for-holy-grail-of-gaming-sound
Therefore, you will be less inclined to upgrade in the future.

Of course, the AD700 is ideal for the budget gamer who wants them soley for gaming. So you could get these and the XB700/XB1000 and have the best of both worlds (soundstage & ideal bass) for around $200.

EDIT: I've also heard the HD598 are good for gaming as well (not as good soundstage as ad700 but better bass). Then again, its bass light compared to the XB700/1000, so it would not be ideal for heavy bass electronic music. But they are great "all around" headphones. They work very well with nearly any genre of music and are good for gaming. So if you want true "all around" headphones for under $200, the HD598 are it.

BF3 on PC >> CoD MW3
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back