Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Feb 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #79 of 883

Quote:
Does anyone think the Stax SR009 could be driven by an Ray Samuels B52 or an Apex Pinnacle amp? Thanks.

With a suitable transformer and a bias supply the Pinnacle has a chance. A slim chance.

If you put 2 pinnacles together and drive them balanced, and hook the headphones up
to the primaries of the output transformers, and load the secondaries with 32 ohm resistors
and add a bias supply, a much better chance.  Kind of pricey though. I estimate about 900
volts peak to peak stator to stator.

B52 is unlikely to be able to drive a 1:4 transformer which would be necessary to pull this off.

With a bias supply a Darkstar would perform better.  At 320 volts peak to peak stator to stator, its
not going to be very loud.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #80 of 883
Hello,
I drive the SR-009 with the SRM-727 since 8 weeks now and I am very happy. Sound isn't bright nor bass shy. With dynamic amps I experienced that an own psu for each channel and two transformers add a lot more space to the soundstage. I wonder if it is possible to have separate power supplies for the SRM-727. Any ideas how to modify? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #81 of 883

Quote:
If you put 2 pinnacles together...

Now, if somebody declared that to be the ultimate solution, it would at least shut up those whining about the price of the 009
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #82 of 883
It is really quite easy to drive electrostatics from pretty much any amp with sufficient voltage swing.  The bias voltage can even be generated internally so no external power source is needed.  A friend still talks about how I drove a SR-507 with an iphone and a Grado RA-1 via one of my "magic boxes". 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Hello,
I drive the SR-009 with the SRM-727 since 8 weeks now and I am very happy. Sound isn't bright nor bass shy. With dynamic amps I experienced that an own psu for each channel and two transformers add a lot more space to the soundstage. I wonder if it is possible to have separate power supplies for the SRM-727. Any ideas how to modify? 

There are way more pressing matters in that amp then a new PSU.  I would just sell the 727 and build a KGSSHV where you could go nuts with dual power supplies... 

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #85 of 883
 I *love* my Pinnacle/LCD3 (and also with the Denon D7000s sometimes). So I would need a 2nd amp if I was to venture into stat territory.
FWIW, I had the Omega2/007t combo for many years, which had its charms, but the Pinnacle/LCD combo is overall way superior, with more detail, substance, and spatial information.

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #86 of 883

Quote:
 I *love* my Pinnacle/LCD3 (and also with the Denon D7000s sometimes). So I would need a 2nd amp if I was to venture into stat territory.
FWIW, I had the Omega2/007t combo for many years, which had its charms, but the Pinnacle/LCD combo is overall way superior, with more detail, substance, and spatial information.

Haha, would love to get a chance to A-B that combo (Pinnacle/LCD-3) with the best combos I've heard, namely the WES/009 and the HEV90/HE90. Never got down to buying one though, have always capped my head-fi expenditure off at 5k max without the source so the LCD-3 WA5 combo I'm currently running is probably about as far as I'll go.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #87 of 883

Quote:
... build a KGSSHV where you could go nuts with dual power supplies... 

I really do hope that Justin can hear you! Justin
rolleyes.gif
 Sounds like a great idea, doesn't?  Perhaps when all this non sense with the BHSE (which takes way too much of your time, if I may say!) will be far gone...

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #89 of 883
only you can answer what you consider to be "worth it" - the improvement is there, but looking back, I would not have sprung for it myself

Quote:
I currently own an SR-009 and stock WES with the tube upgrade.  Can anybody tell me if the V-Cap upgrade is worth the difference in price which is about $1500.00. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #90 of 883
I've never heard the SR-009/WES combo with the V-Cap upgrade, which is why I opted for the stock version with the tube upgrade.  My guess is you can hear more differences in sound signature from tube rolling than from an expensive V-Cap upgrade.  What do you think, El Doug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back