Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #61 of 883
You realize that's the same exact thing, right? 

Quote:
The Realiser is not about changing any tonal quality's, its about coping the tonal qualities of a external sound source.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #62 of 883

Quote:

I don't think he appreciates what you and n3rdling are trying to say.

Whether he gets it appreciates it eventually will be anyones guess.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #63 of 883
Yes I get the part about the brightness issues that have been brought up be it real or not real, but that's not what we are talking about. What n3rdling and I are talking about is how the Realiser works and what it will and will not do. In particular what the HPEQ will do and will not do.

So if you know something about how the Realiser fixes issues caused by headphone rigs let me know.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #64 of 883

Quote:

What n3rdling and I are talking about is the Realiser fixing issues with headphones by way of a HPEQ, not coping a sound system and room acoustics that a PRIR does, or the HPEQ equalizing the speakers volume level and placement, and yes I understand that very well.

When the Realiser does a PRIR its not going to do a EQ, if the sound levels are off you will hear that in the copy, when it does a HPEQ its not really balancing out the headphones, however there are little tricks that you can do to balance the R/L cup if not to far off. The HPEQ as I understand it, its measuring reverberation timing in ms. That is what gives the illusion of distance and placement, and probably more than just that.
The bottom line is before you copy (do a PRIR) is the have done a EQ on the sound system, but as I have said it is also possible to do a manual EQ with the Realiser, but imo if you do it after you have finalize your PRIR it doesn't work very well, puts the timing off, but there is a way to fix that also.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #70 of 883
regardless of headphones, your question comes down to, "which amp character do I want - muddled and rounded, or detailed and pure?"
Quote:
Which one among maxxed out WES and BHSE more fit the headphone sr-009?

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #71 of 883
In my experience the Woo WES is not muddled or rounded with the SR-009.  I've been living with this combination for months, and its detail and purity are non pareil.  Whether the BHSE's character is a step above I can't say-- I'm looking forward to shipment of the next batch -- but I doubt it renders the WES an overpriced paperweight.  The SR-007s, however, are a different story.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #72 of 883
Imho, that muddled character does not apply to the WES + 009. About the rounded character, though, I do agree and I prefer that way. Regarding the 007, I do agree with Douglas, that's why I look forward to my BHSE.
Regards,
Erico

Quote:
In my experience the Woo WES is not muddled or rounded with the SR-009.  I've been living with this combination for months, and its detail and purity are non pareil.  Whether the BHSE's character is a step above I can't say-- I'm looking forward to shipment of the next batch -- but I doubt it renders the WES an overpriced paperweight.  The SR-007s, however, are a different story.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #73 of 883
Having the SRM-727 and SR-009 combo for just about a week now, I am finding that the 009's have a detailed/precise and pure sound signature, along with a very large dynamic range, great bass, never any congestion, very clear mids, and great highs never ear piercing, out of head sound-stage is very realistic and very 3D like coming from my rig.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 883

Quote:

How can you say that if you haven't heard the BHSE?

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #75 of 883
I merely was speaking from "my experience," which as I state does not include the BHSE (at least not for another few weeks -- I'm in the teens on Justin's list).  Maybe it was a poor choice of words, but my basic point still stands: the WES/009 is very detailed, more so than any amp/phone combo I've owned, own or heard.  I also presently own the SRM-717 (and various dynamic/ortho equip.).  That the BHSE also may be detailed does not render the WES "muddled" in character.  And to my ears the WES is not rolled off at the high/low ends, if that's what is meant by "rounded."  I should say that the WES is quite sensitive to tubes, so its character can change dramatically depending on your tube choice, which I wouldn't count as a positive feature (I'm not that into tube rolling).  I think I've got it dialed in now with the 009s -- goosebumps with some recordings -- but it took a while.  

All that said, I'm very excited to receive the BHSE. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back