Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #378 of 883
Quote:
Which version, I or II ?

MKI. Should be here mid - week this week. Only differences are:

[size=11.818181991577148px]"Liquid Lightning has undergone some design changes, mostly to the enclosure. LL MK II is now in the new CA stealth black finish. It has more inputs, front panel input switching, and better ventilation including vent slots on both sides. Internally, LL MK II is the same circuit as MK I, but with less parasitic capacitance on the amplifier board.[/size][size=11.818181991577148px][/size]
[size=11.818181991577148px][/size]
[size=11.818181991577148px] LL MK II the LL MKI in a new enclosure with some new features. Those of you who liked or wanted a LL MK I should like the MKII."[/size]

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #379 of 883
Nice, it's about time we had another multi-amp shootout for the 009.  And it looks like there will be 2 of them, if that French mini-meet ends up happening!

While I haven't heard any other amps for the 009, I'm still really enjoying my LL (MK1)--especially after I upgraded my transport to the Empirical Audio Off-Ramp (USB to I2S) converter.  It sharpened the resolution up significantly compared to what I was getting using my PWD MK2's USB input.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #381 of 883
If the LL is suppose to be on par with the BHSE (more or less), and the BHSE is suppose to be better than the KGSSHV, then the LL should be better than the KGSSHV (based on the LL comments I've read).

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #382 of 883
Quote:
Nice, it's about time we had another multi-amp shootout for the 009.  And it looks like there will be 2 of them, if that French mini-meet ends up happening!

While I haven't heard any other amps for the 009, I'm still really enjoying my LL (MK1)--especially after I upgraded my transport to the Empirical Audio Off-Ramp (USB to I2S) converter.  It sharpened the resolution up significantly compared to what I was getting using my PWD MK2's USB input.

Quote:
LL Mk2 - Less parasites on the amp board? Yeah! That's what I'ma talkin about!

KGSSHV vs LL Mk1 shootout? Color me interested, it's about time.

Quote:
If the LL is suppose to be on par with the BHSE (more or less), and the BHSE is suppose to be better than the KGSSHV, then the LL should be better than the KGSSHV (based on the LL comments I've read).

We shall see. The LL arrives tomorrow. I'll post initial impressions hopefully tomorrow night. 

EDIT: I wouldn't say that the LL is better than the KGSSHV. In fact, I remember Justin saying if he built one it would most likely cost as much as the BHSE. But I am eager to hear both side-by-side. Gotta say though, the KGSSHV is damn impressive...hoping the LL is too!

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #383 of 883

I'm one that did say the LL was on par with the BHSE ( SQ wise only ) when I heard them together, but I'd like to say that both amps hadn't been warmed up. I don't know how the LL sounds after it's warmed up above an hour, but the BHSE sounds a lot better after that time, in fact I always leave it on for at least an hour before I listen to anything. If I want to listen to anything straight away I'll just use my GS-Xmk2.
Also when I heard the LL at the same time as the BHSE, my main source was being used with both amps.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #385 of 883
Quote:
I'm one that did say the LL was on par with the BHSE ( SQ wise only ) when I heard them together, but I'd like to say that both amps hadn't been warmed up. I don't know how the LL sounds after it's warmed up above an hour, but the BHSE sounds a lot better after that time, in fact I always leave it on for at least an hour before I listen to anything. If I want to listen to anything straight away I'll just use my GS-Xmk2.
Also when I heard the LL at the same time as the BHSE, my main source was being used with both amps.

I can confirm this as well.  I always turn my BHSE on about 30 min to an hour before listening.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #386 of 883
I thought this would be standard practice with any audio valve (tube) based equipment anyway?

Quote:
I can confirm this as well.  I always turn my BHSE on about 30 min to an hour before listening.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #387 of 883
Quote:
It's more complicated than "on par with."  The KGSSHV and BHSE definitely share DNA - and while some may prefer the LL, and some prefer the BHSE, those who do prefer the BHSE would probably also like the KGSSHV over the LL.

Quote:

Quote:
I thought this would be standard practice with any audio valve (tube) based equipment anyway?

This is standarad practice with any amplifier/preamplifier that I listen to , Valve or not. 

SOurces I almost never turn them off. If I do, any critical listening is done after 24 hours of the source being on.

The LLmk2 and mk1 sound vastly different (MUCH better) after a 45min to 1 hour warm up. 

edit: to add, there is a noticeable difference to the better (more detail, better bottom end mainly) going from LLmk1 to LLmk2. That's been the experience of me and all those whose opinions I know to not be skewed. As Tari noted, BHSE and LL and Electra and any other amp all have their proponents which gels with their specific criteria of what is supposed to be good. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #388 of 883
Quote:
It's more complicated than "on par with."  The KGSSHV and BHSE definitely share DNA - and while some may prefer the LL, and some prefer the BHSE, those who do prefer the BHSE would probably also like the KGSSHV over the LL.

So what you're saying is if team A beats team B, and team B beats team C, it doesn't mean team C cannot beat team A.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #389 of 883
I am saying it depends on the person.  Some tastes will prefer A, the LL, over B, the BHSE.  Those same people will likely prefer A over C the KGSSHV irrespective of B being better or worse than C because B and C are related.  If they prefer B to A, it could well be they'd also prefer C to A, again not because if B is better for them than A and is better than C as a given then C must be better than A - rather it is simply because B & C share characteristics in sound that A does not possess.  

What this boils down to is that it is more about preferred presentation and pros/cons one can live with than it is about better or worse.  This is something unbiased individuals are able to concede - unfortunately the stat amp wars are still all tangled in politics for there to be much real discussion on the topic.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #390 of 883
Yes it is a common practice on tube amplifier.  I was responding to David who mentioned "but I'd like to say that both amps hadn't been warmed up."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back