Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
May 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #166 of 883
I've had my SR-009s for over 3 weeks now and my amp, the Ray Samuels Audio A-10 Thunderbolt for about 2 months.  While I waited for my SR-009s to arrive, I had plenty of time to listen to the A-10 as a preamp in my speaker system that includes a McIntosh MC275 v5 amp, Harbeth SLH-5 speakers with REL Strata III subwoofer,  PS Audio PWT/PWD mkII and Linn LP12 turntable with Radikal power supply, Keel subchassis, Ekos SE arm and Akiva cartridge.   I replaced my Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL-1 Ultimate preamp (I still own this) with the A-10.   I've been very happy with the CAT pre and I was hoping that the A-10 would provide equal preamp performance while giving me an amp to drive my forthcoming SR-009s.  The A-10 as a preamp is fantastic.  I've had several tube preamps in the past besides the CAT including the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A and Modulus 3, and the Conrad Johnson PV11.    The A-10 is the most quiet and transparent of all the tube preamps that I've had in my system.  Soundstaging is both wide and deep and vocalists are well centered and clearly defined.  As a preamp in my system, I think the A-10 is truly sublime.

I'm sure most of you that are reading this are more interested in how the A-10 Thunderbolt performs with the SR-009 than its preamp performance. The A-10 drives the SR-009 better than I expected.  Having read some reviews of other SR-009 systems, I was concerned about any brightness at all.  In my system, (I say system because it is not just the A-10 but also the PWD mkII responsible for the SQ), the SR-009 doesn't sound bright or fatiguing at all.  Not even the slightest bit.  The transparency of this system is incredible and that is what I think sets it apart from some of the very best dynamic headphone systems.  For me, this transparency allows greater connection to the musical performance.   This is my first endeavor into an electrostatic system.  For reference, I currently own some very fine dynamic headphones and amps including the HE6, LCD-3, LCD-2 rev1 and rev2, LA7000, and Headphile modded K340s for my headphones.  I own the Cavalli Liquid Fire, RSA DarkStar and Luxman SQ-N100 headphone amps.  The high frequencies of this system are extremely well extended, more so than any dynamic system I've heard while not being bright or fatiguing.  Bass is well extended too and very well defined.  Overall the sound quality is very well balanced and nothing distracts me from enjoying the musical event.  Obviously, I'm very happy with my first electrostatic system.  As far as the A-10 goes, although it is expensive, I think it is a great value if you can take advantage of its preamp capabilities in addition to it being a very impressive electrostatic amp.

May 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #167 of 883
SteveM324 I certainly enjoy reading and comprehending your short experience with your system. I have given also some thoughts looking at the A-10 as a possibility and comparing it with my present BAT51SE pre-amp. I also have a PS Audio PWD/PWT as one of my digital sources. Using he A-10 as a combo would be a benefit providing it is comparable to my present setup.

May 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #168 of 883
Quote:
SteveM324 I certainly enjoy reading and comprehending your short experience with your system. I have given also some thoughts looking at the A-10 as a possibility and comparing it with my present BAT51SE pre-amp. I also have a PS Audio PWD/PWT as one of my digital sources. Using he A-10 as a combo would be a benefit providing it is comparable to my present setup.

Thanks.  I like your choice of speakers.  I owned the Thiel CS6 for over 12 years and they served me very well during that time. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #171 of 883
What?? You have production LL, BHSE, and WES all in your hands at the moment? OF COURSE, you must post impressions (am mostly interested in how the 009 sounds out of these 3 amps, and possibly the Stax amp if you still have it)! Both the LL and BHSE look stunning BTW, congratulations! So, I take it the LL is now in production, when did you receive it?

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #173 of 883
ericoh - ur not related to carlos sim ? do you? looking at your gear, u could be
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #176 of 883
Quote:
My set is finally complete...for now.
It's time to fully enjoy the Omega 2 and 009.
To anyone interested about impressions and comparisons, please feel free to ask.
Regards,
Erico

omg very impressive.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #177 of 883
Quote:
Boggles the mind....

There's a KGSSHV in there somewhere. Is it fixed yet?

Not yet.

The KGSSHV is being rebuilt from the start by an audio engineer friend of mine. Since it's not among his priorities, he told me it will take some time. He already changed all the fried transistors and resistors, but the amp's groundind is still not ok, that's why he found safer to rebuilt, resolder, rewire it from start. Mr. Gilmore was very gentle to offer his help solving the amp's problems.

Regards,
Erico

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #178 of 883
STAX SRM-3x3

Question
Are all the the STAX SRM-313 and SRM-323 models identical or nearly identical (at lest for the pro bias part)?

Quote:
how well does the 009 work with a stock 323s amp ? 

Quote:
The 323S is a very good amp so it works just fine with the 009. 

Quote:
I just want to make sure, the Stax 323S is basically the same thing as the SRM-323II, isn't?

Quote:
Yes identical circuits

Reference information posted by kevin gilmore
I have extracted the information kevin gilmore earlier has posted about the STAX SRM-3x3 series in "The Stax thread (new)" post #17453 and "Electrostatic Amplifiers Voltage ratings":

Quote:
The 313 and 323 are 3 stage amplifiers. Same or similar to all the transportables (srmXh,srm151,srm252)

Quote:
[size=medium]1400 volts peak to peak stator to stator  (+/-350 power supplies)[/size]
[size=medium]KGSS,Stax T1,T1s,T1W,313,323,717,727,sra-14s,srm-1 mk2,srm-monitor[/size]
[size=medium]woo audio wes[/size]

Quote:
Here are some of the output stage currents.

srm313,srm323  5.5ma x 4

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #179 of 883
The main circuitry is very similar but the 323 is more refined.  Gone are the resistor loads and replaced with a 2SA1968 based CCS plus some other tweaks.   Far better build quality as well as the 313 was a bit too much like the SRM-3 in that regard. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #180 of 883
I should have returned to this thread a long time ago, but unfortunately I didn't until now.

@spritzer:
Thank you for your swift answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back