Quest for non-Pleather 780 pads
Mar 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #46 of 81
I really doing the pad mod because my current stock HFI-780 ear pads are rip a bit. I surely dont want to listen to it bare if they tore up fully.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my new pads through, and after A/B'ing them with the pleather pads I'm sorry to say i have to disagree with mrarroyo.

I just ordered a pair. I should get them by Friday. Within reason, sound quality is secondary to comfort for me. I hope they work out. The pleather makes my ears sweat, and crushes my glasses against my head!
angry_face.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BHphotovideo wants $31 to ship by USPS to Canada!
eek.gif

Searching for an online store with reasonable shipping cost to Canada!

Naw, I'm hooking you up on that one man. Ordering two sets today.

Next time, Ultrasone, make a less clampy, more cushy can w/ the stupid board removed and I will call it the best closed dynamic ever for the $$.

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an unsolicited "you must be a heck of a nice guy!" for doing that for a fellow head-fier!
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Naw, I have done a couple of deals with him including the 780s. I like helping out though. Not a big deal for me and it is good karma.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 81
I just got mine. Comfort is WAY better! I wear glasses, and the pleather just mashed the temple pieces into my head. As for the sound, I haven't A/B'ed them, but I did just put the pads on and give a quick listen. Bass seems a bit looser, but basically fine.

mrarroyo and anyone else - what did you do with the plastic ovals with the 4 pegs sticking out? I just assumed they were needed for the beyers, and didn't use them. I just replaced the old pads with the beyer pads, and stuffed the foam ring under the earpads. I guess one could stuff the plastic rings under the lip, and then stretch the lip over the earpiece, but what would that gain?

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #55 of 81
X2, there is no need for the plastic ovals. I should also remind others that my HFI-780 were re-cabled by Alex of APureSound w/ a 7 foot long V3 cable terminated in a 1/4" Neutrik plug. Alex also removed the diode board.

roosta may be unto somthing, I have a fat head so in my case the pressure was a lot until I opened up the distance, although the pressure is still a bit high. Thus why I feel the bass is better.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #56 of 81
In deference to the fact that this is an Ultrasone forum, I'm moving most of my comments over to the similar thread out in the full-sized headphone forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...2/#post5496107

I find the Velvet pads infinitely more comfortable, I can wear them quite comfortably now, even with glasses. I could not before, and would have sold them this week had the Beyer pads not solved that problem.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #57 of 81
I did the pad switch last night and it made a huge comfort different for the better. One thing I did notice though.. the foam mesh, that protects the drivers, is much thicker on the Beyerdynamic. I assume you guys are all using the replacement mesh and not something thinner (as on the original pads)?

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Here's an unsolicited "you must be a heck of a nice guy!" for doing that for a fellow head-fier!
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Yes he is!!!!
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

I am. That might be what took the edge off of the highs for me?

I only mention it i because of the big difference. The original is paper thin and the replacement is 1/8" thick dual ply. foam. My fear is that the directional driver nature of the Ultrasone is being impeded, as well as some frequency coloring from the thicker foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back