Quest for non-Pleather 780 pads
Apr 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

... as well as some frequency coloring from the thicker foam.

If it sounds good, it is good!
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Agreed. I did the switch during the burn in from 200 hours (that's what they supposedly had when I got them) and somewhere slightly north of 400 hours now. They sound much better, I thin the burn in and the thicker foam circles, plus the change in pad material and how much they crush to my head all contribute. Interestingly, I tried going way loose on the headband, and got some channel imbalance. I tightened back up on the headband, and now they seem fine. These are more sensitive to position than my old senns or new to me ESW10's.

The end result is that the comfort is now such that they are keepers. The sound signature is also worth keeping, though I plan to recable with mogami 2893 and dampen the cups and see where that leads.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Well they are comfortable now, which is great.. not so sure of the sound, it's more lively without the thick foam I think.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Ultrasone pads with the 780 especially, are terrible. The head pad is too narrow, hard and it knifes your head. The earpads are a joke. Too hard, way too hard. No give and they irritate your skin quickly.

I am getting 250 pads and using a large flat piece of memory foam in place of the head pad. That alone has made a world of difference.

Ultrasone, your drivers can be wonderful. My ALO 780s are amazing sounding for a closed dynamic. Your use of that CRAPPY design for the rest of the can is reprehensible. A completely new, comfort focused design is entirely warranted asap.

ha i had mine with the exact way yours was set up but now my headband is slightly worn in and is more bearable. But im getting a new one soon that sounds like it will be perfect.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #66 of 81
Some how I rip the headband pading with my finger nail by mistake heh still useable. I just need to replace both some how,I dont think i have any thing around the house that will work either.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some how I rip the headband pading with my finger nail by mistake heh still useable. I just need to replace both some how,I dont think i have any thing around the house that will work either.

I did the same thing. Double sided taped this memory foam in it's place. Works muuuuuuch better.

DSC01614.jpg

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing. Double sided taped this memory foam in it's place. Works muuuuuuch better.

Just as I was saying to myself, "Holey Moley - what IS that black behemoth piece of gear on the silver shelf?", I saw in the sig that it (appropriately, though inconveniently) weighs 71 lbs. Between the weight and the bulk of it, that must be one bear to move!!! The ALO-780 look really good on it - very eye-pleasing contrast.

May 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #69 of 81
I just added dynamat to the back of the HFI-780 and a little piece on the magnet. Before closing I placed a bit of cotton inside the cups.

The bass is still as deep but it seems better defined and tighter. Perhaps the resonances have been reduced and account for the change. When I lay my hands on the cups they do not vibrate as much as before. The mids/treble seems to be more prominent or perhaps I should say less subdue.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #70 of 81

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BHphotovideo wants $31 to ship by USPS to Canada!
eek.gif

Searching for an online store with reasonable shipping cost to Canada!

Were you ever able to find one? I also dont want to pay more for shipping than what the item costs
angry_face.gif

Edit: Found a pair on ebay for $35
frown.gif
... But they are only charging $6 CDN to ship here! Greedy B&H....

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #72 of 81
Hi Guys,
I got the Beyer pads, but can't seem to figure out how to get the original pleather pads off without breaking something. Am i missing something? You guys are removing the originals first right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best
Mish

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #73 of 81
Just look along the edge of the pad, you just need to pinch it and pull it out. No twisting or anything. Infact if you look at the Beyer pad closely you can figure it out.

I didn't like the Beyer pads on my 680's sound wise. Comfort wise they are great, way better, but they made the 680's sound bright, and the bass lost some oomph.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #75 of 81
there is something a little strange going on with your computer rig spaceman spliff...isnt there?? nobody seems to have commented on it, and its a decent job, but either you have added contrast or something in photoshop and lost lots of detail or...its a fake from the shelf down
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back