Quest for non-Pleather 780 pads
Mar 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just dropped an order in for a pair.

For which pads - the E9 leathers, or the Beyerdynamic's?

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel
Just a quick question, where did you get the circular foam from.
Do they come with the ear pads themselves as I couldn't see them in the picture?
Cheers
Ven

Ven the circular foam pads are included in the DT250/280 package. BTW, I am currently listening to mine and the velour pads IMO make for a much more enjoyable listening experience. At $25 including S&H one of the cheapest tweaks I have done, specially considering how much I am getting out of it.
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ven the circular foam pads are included in the DT250/280 package. BTW, I am currently listening to mine and the velour pads IMO make for a much more enjoyable listening experience. At $25 including S&H one of the cheapest tweaks I have done, specially considering how much I am getting out of it.
smile.gif

I just got my HFI 780's! I traded my modded HD580's for them, straight up, with both traders happy with the results. Now on to modding. Would these be the right pads?

Beyerdynamic | Padded Earcushions for DT250/DT280 | 942704 | B&H

I also ordered some damping material from parts express:

Parts Express:*Lightweight Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet 10" x 13"

I have some mogami starquad for a recable, though I may try to find something a bit more flexible.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

Cheers Miguel, would be ordered right away.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 81
the Ultrasone pads with the 780 especially, are terrible. The head pad is too narrow, hard and it knifes your head. The earpads are a joke. Too hard, way too hard. No give and they irritate your skin quickly.

I am getting 250 pads and using a large flat piece of memory foam in place of the head pad. That alone has made a world of difference.

Ultrasone, your drivers can be wonderful. My ALO 780s are amazing sounding for a closed dynamic. Your use of that CRAPPY design for the rest of the can is reprehensible. A completely new, comfort focused design is entirely warranted asap.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #39 of 81
Only thing that annoy me is that piece at the top of the headband. if i knew what i could replace it with i be all set.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing that annoy me is that piece at the top of the headband. if i knew what i could replace it with i be all set.

Peel it off. It is just glued there. I cut a piece of memory foam from a pillow and double sided taped it in place. Works much better. Make it flatter and wider than the stock pos.

I'll post pics sometime this weekend.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #42 of 81
I'm thinking about buying the sennisher 580 headband pads and use its in that spot.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #43 of 81
I just placed an order for the Velour replacement pads for the Beyerdynamic DT 250/280 as well. Having to "peel" the pleather pads from my skin after every listening session (or to reply to every communication from out-of-the-PhoneZone) is enough of a buzz-kill to warrant the use of such a cost-effective measure to avoid it.

Miguel, I'm starting to think that, behind your screen name, you are the real-life Buckaroo Banzai. Any word for us on the state of things these days Across the 8th Dimension (if I may so describe the location of Coconut Grove - my wife grew up in Miami and, when we would visit there during our courtship - over 30 years ago now, we used to like to "Groove at the Grove")? Anyway, many thanks for the low-cost HFI-780 mod, effective across multiple dimensions of HFI-780 function and use.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 81
Guys thanks for the credit but the velour pads was the idea of another Head-Fier. I just took it and ran with it.

Ah, the grove. It is a beautiful place to hang out and get in trouble.
wink.gif
However traffic is a mess so I do not go there much anymore.
redface.gif

Personally I would love to move back to TN or North GA. Maybe even one of the Carolina's.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #45 of 81
i got my new pads through, and after A/B'ing them with the pleather pads I'm sorry to say i have to disagree with mrarroyo.

i find the bass doesn't drop as low, and the mids and highs sound slightly muffled. they don't isolate as well either (in or out). the seemed to lose some detail as well, and the soundstage was reduced as well. maybe that's just because of the muffling, but either way, they were not to my tastes.

I'm not saying hes wrong, everyone has an opinion and by no means do i vote mine above anyone's, but to me, i prefer the pleather.

the only reason i can think of is that they are not clamping hard enough on the sides of my head. i do have a thin head (i can have the headband on minimum stretch quite comfortably) and so the lack of clamp is letting the sound escape, therefore the bass pressure is lost and the drivers are further away from my head so the highs are lost as well. they just seem to leak too much for me. i took the middle foam bits out, which helped slightly but i still switched back to the pleather.
i listen to drum n bass so the low down bass is important to me. the highs were less harsh, but now that Ive equalised my 'phones a bit the harshness is reduced anyway. the mids were a complete loss to me though, sounding muffled, flat and a bit dull. they just weren't exciting to listen to anymore.

maybe they just aren't for me, or just not for skinny heads, but i thought i should give some feedback just to warn others they may not be right for everyone.

however, for £15 you may as well have a go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back