Quest for non-Pleather 780 pads
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 81
Im curious why you would want a pair of 780's when you have 750's..? Im not real sure if i like my 780's just yet :p May need a little more headtime before i give a real answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im curious why you would want a pair of 780's when you have 750's..? Im not real sure if i like my 780's just yet :p May need a little more headtime before i give a real answer
smily_headphones1.gif

I sold the 750's to try the ESW10's.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 81
So you just slip those beyer pads on it thats it. no modding needed of any kind? Also the picture doesnt show it but is there inner padding in the middle of the pads or is it just bare?

Because I need to replace the pads on my HFI-780 also as one side surface cracked.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 81
I have found a way to make this headphone much more comfortable and a better performer for cheap. First order a set of ear-pads from Beyerdynamic DT250/280. I paid $25 including S&H for a supplier in the USA. Then install them after you remove the pleather pads that Ultrasone ships w/ this headphone. You will find:

1. The comfort will be fantastic, gone is the plasticly feel, the sweating, and pain from the hard stock pads.

2. The bass will be deeper, more of it, and it will have more punch.

3. Mids will be better defined and easier to place the instruments.

4. Highs will loose some harshness and yet be clearer and with more detail

Here are some pictures.

BeyerDT250VelourPadsPic2.jpg

BeyerDT250InstalledOnOneSide.jpg

BeyerDT250InstalledOnBothSides.jpg

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. The comfort will be fantastic, gone is the plasticly feel, the sweating, and pain from the hard stock pads.

Excellent!

Quote:

2. The bass will be deeper, more of it, and it will have more punch.

Is this a good thing? I thought these phones had bass punch that bordered on too much?

Quote:

3. Mids will be better defined and easier to place the instruments.

Again, Excellent. My gripe with my 750's was recessed mids. I *think* I recall reading similar issue with the 780 - or else I'm finally getting the flashbacks they've promised me for the last 35 years...

Quote:

4. Highs will loose some harshness and yet be clearer and with more detail

And yet again, excellent! It seems that this might be the final step in modding the 780?

mrarroyo - are these the recabled and modded 780's, or a stock set?

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 81
aamefford the HFI-780 were re-cabled by Alex of APureSound w/ a 7 feet foot long V3 terminated on a 1/4".

Although the bass is more it is actually so much tighter and better defined that IMO the improvement is worth it. Plus it is a $25 total cost including S&H.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #22 of 81
mrarroyo, how is the fitment of the pads? Do they wiggle about at all/do you have to be cautious when putting the headphones on? Also, I'm going to be using my headphones for portable use, and the 9 foot cable is really excessive. Do you think I should cut the cable, re-cable the headphones with another cable, or just leave the cable as is and use a twist-tie?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 81
F430 the issue of the cable is a very personal one. Many cut the cable and re-terminate. I personally prefer to keep the original length in case later I want to use it at home.

However the stock cable in the HFI-780 is marginal at best. My suggestion if you do not wish to spend a lot of money would be to contact Warrior of S2 Audio and have him re-cable the HFI-780 w/ Mogami. He used to charge around $125 to do single sided 5 to 7 feet long terminated on 1/8" or 1/4".

Good luck.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 81
Anyone coughed up $150 for a pair of Edition 9 leather pads to put on their HFI-780's?

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 81
I asked the question in a different post or an email, I forget. I didn't get a response regarding whether or not they would fit from ultraPaul. Basically he told me spare stock pads were available for the 780, should I need them. I am curious as to whether the Edition 9 pads would fit, though for $150, I may not be that curious!

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked the question in a different post or an email, I forget. I didn't get a response regarding whether or not they would fit from ultraPaul. Basically he told me spare stock pads were available for the 780, should I need them. I am curious as to whether the Edition 9 pads would fit, though for $150, I may not be that curious!

If it ain't in the marketing copy, you won't get it from Paul. God forbid.

There's no reason why the E9 pads wouldn't fit on the 780's, as they are the same size & shape (unlike the Proline series). I'm surprised none of the modders have tried it. It's really just a matter of determining if it's worth it to you. If I had kept my 780's, I'd have done it.

Miguel's velour mod makes for an interesting, and less expensive alternative as well. Kudos.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked the question in a different post or an email, I forget. I didn't get a response regarding whether or not they would fit from ultraPaul. Basically he told me spare stock pads were available for the 780, should I need them.

I ah, guess I asked that in the OP, and UltraPaul answered in the second post. It would sure maybe, sorta, or not be worth $150 if I liked the sound of the HFI 780. I suspect I'll have to try them at some time. and I suspect the Beyer pads will be part of the deal.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 81
Miguel
Just a quick question, where did you get the circular foam from.
Do they come with the ear pads themselves as I couldn't see them in the picture?
Cheers
Ven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back