Qudelix-T71 Thread | 8V RMS, PEQ & 7.1 Surround USB DAC/Amp
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #361 of 398
I'm thinking of getting this to use with lcd i4. I'm thinking the on board eq will be useful

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #362 of 398
I got my T71 today. Added my Sundara PEQ setting and did alot of other configs. Changed to 2.0 and 384KHz. I like to have the EQ build in and be able to use it also on my Macbook Pro. But I can't really hear a difference in the sound quality between the 300€ T71 and the 30€ Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S V2. The Sundaras might be the limiting factor and they will get replaced with something better but that there is no difference makes the Sharkoon and amazing cheap and super small DAC dongle. The T71 has abit more power unbalanced and ofc the option for much more power balanced.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #363 of 398
Am I understanding correctly that the main use of the T71 multichannel audio feature is to do a better job downmixing from 7.1 to 2ch, primarily for games and movies? What about Dolby Atmos Music (e.g. Tidal, Apple Music) - is the T71 able to process those streams as well?

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #365 of 398
I'm thinking of getting this to use with lcd i4. I'm thinking the on board eq will be useful

I can't imagine a better pairing for Audeze's iSINE lineup than a Qudelix (either the 5K or the T71, depending on your needs), PEQ is a game changer for Audeze in general.

I got my T71 today. Added my Sundara PEQ setting and did alot of other configs. Changed to 2.0 and 384KHz. I like to have the EQ build in and be able to use it also on my Macbook Pro. But I can't really hear a difference in the sound quality between the 300€ T71 and the 30€ Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S V2. The Sundaras might be the limiting factor and they will get replaced with something better but that there is no difference makes the Sharkoon and amazing cheap and super small DAC dongle. The T71 has abit more power unbalanced and ofc the option for much more power balanced.

Today, except for disastrous implementations or pathological exceptions (such as NOS DACs or tube amplifiers), it's perfectly normal not to hear differences between these devices.

As you've rightly pointed out, the advantages of the T71 lie in its higher power (especially through balanced output) and all the capabilities offered by its software, including your PEQ settings.

Am I understanding correctly that the main use of the T71 multichannel audio feature is to do a better job downmixing from 7.1 to 2ch, primarily for games and movies? What about Dolby Atmos Music (e.g. Tidal, Apple Music) - is the T71 able to process those streams as well?

That's correct, you can take advantage of any multichannel content on the T71 (including Dolby Atmos tracks on Tidal or Apple Music).

In fact, on the first few pages, you can see some of the impressions we had, in my case with Apple Music.

Is out app for android T71 or not?

Not that I'm aware of yet (based on the changelog of the official Qudelix app on the Play Store), although I'm an iPhone user and currently don't have another Android device to confirm it.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #366 of 398
T71 is 'AWESOME' for the Audeze 'i'____ series. You have quite a bit of flexibility to make the large planar drivers sound tonally correct to you. Timbre across the iSine -> LCD-i4 are somewhat similar and inherent to the design. The other intangibles of a very large driver placed outside the ear plane makes for a unique wearing experience to sonic presentation. I haven't heard the monoprice monolith variants, but, I'd assume that certain portions of the presentation still poke their head up.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #367 of 398
Hi 👋,

I just ordered the T71 :)

What's very interesting, yet unclear, is how the USB-C and 4.4 balanced outputs can be beneficial. I understand it's an 8-channel output for surround sound using the USB-C being able to tweak each channel independently but what about the balanced output? How does that work? Does it utilize all the channels? It's an interesting device, but it's also quite unclear how it achieves surround sound using the balanced outputs if is even possible to do so , especially since it's not possible to use IEMs with the USB-C output.

The Ame IEMs will be the only option available to use the 8-channel configuration through the USB-C output (which I don’t even know if they ship worldwide and it should be available on the Qudelix website as I don’t understand Chinese), but also in my opinion, their implementation is incorrect. To achieve proper surround sound, they should use 4 dual full-range balanced armatures per side with 4 tubes and then be able to tweak the sound of each channel through the qudelix web shop.

I'm not sure if I made a mistake by ordering it after reading 25 pages . I may consider keeping it and creating my own custom IEMs ( this can be easily done as you need 4 dual BAs with no crossover ) ? It's disappointing that this promising device doesn't seem to fulfill its potential.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #368 of 398
I understand it's an 8-channel output for surround sound using the USB-C being able to tweak each channel independently but what about the balanced output? How does that work? Does it utilize all the channels?
T71 has 4x dual-channel amp chips, hence the up to 8-channels capability. The balanced output is 2-channel (stereo) but being balanced, it uses 4 of the 8 amp: L+/L- and R+/R-.
how it achieves surround sound using the balanced outputs
This is all software processing, the end result is a 2-channel signal (surround processed into stereo) routed to the balanced output.
The Ame IEMs will be the only option available to use the 8-channel configuration through the USB-C output (which I don’t even know if they ship worldwide and it should be available on the Qudelix website as I don’t understand Chinese)
My understanding is that the T71 IEM uses 8-channels but not for surround purpose, it is an active 4-way IEM: each one the DD (1 per side) and BA (3 per side) is connected to one of the T71 channel/amp. Compare it to QX-over, which is an active 2-way IEM. The T71 IEM should be released on Qudelix store… soon!
creating my own custom IEMs ( this can be easily done as you need 4 dual BAs with no crossover )
That should work… Good luck with the soldering of 8x individual cable cores to the BAs and USB-C connector!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #369 of 398
My understanding is that the T71 IEM uses 8-channels but not for surround purpose, it is an active 4-way IEM: each one the DD (1 per side) and BA (3 per side) is connected to one of the T71 channel/amp. Compare it to QX-over, which is an active 2-way IEM. The T71 IEM should be released on Qudelix store… soon!

My idea (and hope) however is the opposite, namely that the T71-IEMs will be used to obtain a sort of surround effect.

https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/t71/in-ear-surround-with-t71-iem

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #370 of 398
My idea (and hope) however is the opposite, namely that the T71-IEMs will be used to obtain a sort of surround effect.

https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/t71/in-ear-surround-with-t71-iem
I secretly hope so too… but doubt it: there is still only a single nozzle output into your ear canal. That’s the only thing your ear “sees” (hear…). Whether it is a traditional 1xDD/3xBA, or an active version, what difference does it make from a surround, soundstage standpoint?

Now, there are plenty of other benefits with an active 4-way IEM, such as the option to play with the filter parameters or even turn off drivers and compare 1, 2, 3, or 4-way settings. I don’t know what Qudelix is going to implement, but I’m eagerly waiting !!! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #371 of 398
I secretly hope so too… but doubt it: there is still only a single nozzle output into your ear canal. That’s the only thing your ear “sees” (hear…). Whether it is a traditional 1xDD/3xBA, or an active version, what difference does it make from a surround, soundstage standpoint?

Now, there are plenty of other benefits with an active 4-way IEM, such as the option to play with the filter parameters or even turn off drivers and compare 1, 2, 3, or 4-way settings. I don’t know what Qudelix is going to implement, but I’m eagerly waiting !!! :ksc75smile:

Given that I don't understand it at all, I thought that with a classic home theater system you always have the 'limit' that the ear canal is always the same, and yet you manage to obtain a sense of 'spatiality'.

How?
Probably working on delays, phases, volume differences etc.

Here, with the right mathematical algorithms, perhaps the 'same' effect could be achieved, focusing on the fact that all the IEM drivers can be driven independently.

It's just a hypothesis of course.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #374 of 398
Given that I don't understand it at all, I thought that with a classic home theater system you always have the 'limit' that the ear canal is always the same, and yet you manage to obtain a sense of 'spatiality'.

How?
Probably working on delays, phases, volume differences etc.

Here, with the right mathematical algorithms, perhaps the 'same' effect could be achieved, focusing on the fact that all the IEM drivers can be driven independently.

It's just a hypothesis of course.
Yeah, but with a home theater, you have multiple speakers around you... Your brain re-constructs a 3-D image based on all the “clues” from these speakers, it involves the ear canal, but also the pinna, torso (for bass), and the head micro-movements (to "auto-focus" on some sound image details).

All of this can be processed and simulated in SW, and although it is not easy task, that’s exactly what T71 aims to achieve... The 8x independent channels are important in a scenario where you would use T71 to drive a 7.1 system made, for example, of active speakers directly connected to T71.

But T71 IEM….......?????? The individual drivers are not around your head, and AFAIK they only “interact” with your ear canal. Sure, active filters do bring many benefits :ksc75smile:, but I doubt any of these benefits is going to be surround-related…

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #375 of 398
where's 1.4.3? i've only got 1.4.1 showing up to update to.

IMG_8755.jpeg
IMG_8756.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back