Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #61 of 458
Thanks for the graphs, very interesting. As you note the artifacts aren't likely to be audible so more a matter of technical interest than anything else, but nevertheless I would think the developers of the two programs would want to take note.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #62 of 458
Thanks again yuriv, for taking the time and examining the output. Very interesting findings. I did not find the increase at low frequencies when I tested Equalizer way back in 2009 on my 1G iPod touch. So I am going to look at it again and try to iron things out (or at least find out what is causing it).
As you point it, it is not audible but I do not like it anyways :)

I really enjoy the work on the audio engine most, but most recent (and future) changes have been to the user interface. So I am looking forward to dedicating some time for looking into this :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #63 of 458
OP, thanks for posting this! EQu is wonderful! My Shure SE425s just need a little bump in the low end, and this does exactly what I want.

I just lost my Sansa Clip+ and I was scared I'd have to go spend big bucks on some other player (they don't sell the Clip here in Japan). I wanted to avoid using my phone as MP3 player to keep from using so much battery, but I'm sure I'll survive :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #64 of 458
I just purchased EQu for my iPhone 4 - I'm a fool for waiting this long. The SQ is all I knew the Apple iPods were capable of producing. This totally frees the wonderful SQ that my iPhone 4 is able to pump out of the HP out. Wow, really, what a difference this little app makes!!!

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #65 of 458
its amazing how often cans/buds etc turn out to be much more capable than we realize once they get a proper EQ behind them. 

glad more of us are discovering these apps!

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #66 of 458
TBH I didn't believe it would be that big a difference,...boy, was I wrong!!! I have you & my buddy Achmedisdead to thank. You discovered these apps, and he encouraged me and quite a few others to try them. I believe I've found a new found luv for the touch as well as my iPhone. EQu just frees up the wonderful Cirrus SQ, and then allows me to fine tune it to my delight.

All in all I'm a believer:

Quality Custom EQ apps for Ipod Touch and iPhone - THEY EXIST!

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #67 of 458

Quote:
its amazing how often cans/buds etc turn out to be much more capable than we realize once they get a proper EQ behind them. 

glad more of us are discovering these apps!

The true believers will still say EQ is bad, and they want to "hear it as the artist intended", and it's better to spend lots of money in search of "gear synergy", but I'm no true believer, and I'm not rich.....so I welcome the EQ.
gs1000.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #68 of 458
I just did a speedy edit of my sig, in joyful celebration of the addition of this excellent app to my audio enjoyment arsenal!!! I am truly impressed!!!

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #69 of 458

Quote:
The true believers will still say EQ is bad, and they want to "hear it as the artist intended", and it's better to spend lots of money in search of "gear synergy", but I'm no true believer, and I'm not rich.....so I welcome the EQ.
gs1000.gif

well i hate go go all OT on us here, but you found my weak spot.

anyone who says they want to "hear it as the artist intended" as an argument for not using EQ is makeing a statement that makes no sense.

its very simple

play a rolling sine wave through your headphones with no EQ.   This file, if it is heard as the artist intended, will sound exactly the same volume from 20hz-20,000hz (minus the frequencies your headphones cant produce or your ears cant hear of course) but of course nearly no headphones will produce a rolling sine wave accurately.. they will have large spikes, or peaks, or sibilances or dips or valleys or roll offs or whatever you want to call them b/c they are imbalanced.   when you use an eq to level all those imbalances,  you are restoring the proper sound production, thus allowing the rolling sine wave to sound like it is supposed to, and thus allowing all music to sound a lot closer to how it was intended.. i say lot closer b/c there are of course many other factors involved in how a pair of cans sounds..

*steps off his soap box*

so boo to the so called "purists"   booooooooooooooo!  
wink_face.gif

of course i say all this in fun.. i could care less if people dont want to use eq or not.. if they want a crappy listening experience they are entitled to it...
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #70 of 458

Quote:
Quote:
gs1000.gif

anyone who says they want to "hear it as the artist intended" as an argument for not using EQ is makeing a statement that makes no sense.

its very simple

play a rolling sine wave through your headphones with no EQ.   This file, if it is heard as the artist intended, will sound exactly the same volume from 20hz-20,000hz (minus the frequencies your headphones cant produce or your ears cant hear of course) but of course nearly no headphones will produce a rolling sine wave accurately.. they will have large spikes, or peaks, or sibilances or dips or valleys or roll offs or whatever you want to call them b/c they are imbalanced.   when you use an eq to level all those imbalances,  you are restoring the proper sound production, thus allowing the rolling sine wave to sound like it is supposed to, and thus allowing all music to sound a lot closer to how it was intended.. i say lot closer b/c there are of course many other factors involved in how a pair of cans sounds..

*steps off his soap box*

wink_face.gif

of course i say all this in fun.. i could care less if people dont want to use eq or not.. if they want a crappy listening experience they are entitled to it...
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

This post ^^ is full of WIN!

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #71 of 458

Quote:

its very simple

*steps off his soap box*

wink_face.gif

wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

This post ^^ is full of WIN!

QFT!!! I agree 100% - your a winner bro, a winner!!!

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #72 of 458
I'm just using Equalizer at the moment - it's so good I haven't worried about trying Equ.  Has anyone tried both?  What is your preference?  Reasons please - if possible.
Budding audio lover here - and always looking to learn :wink:

BTW - Tibor - thank you for this wonderful app!  I was at the point of selling my Touch and going to a J3.  Now I don't have to.  The Touch G4 + Equalizer is simply wonderful.

Looking forward to the lockable freq update - for someone learning EQ, it will help me a lot.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #73 of 458

I am using the EQu app more myself, I find I can notice the difference more when I make adjustments.
Theres something missing for me in equalizer app, less dynamic feel.

Yep, now I am looking forward to going out n about so I can listen and play with that great sound.
My ipod touch 4G w/ these apps is awesome.

@Nywytboy68, you have many other players, how does the touch4G with equalizer/EQu app compare to them?
-Also changed my sig too:)

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #74 of 458

Quote:
OP, thanks for posting this! EQu is wonderful! My Shure SE425s just need a little bump in the low end, and this does exactly what I want.

I just lost my Sansa Clip+ and I was scared I'd have to go spend big bucks on some other player (they don't sell the Clip here in Japan). I wanted to avoid using my phone as MP3 player to keep from using so much battery, but I'm sure I'll survive :)

Yes, the apps are wonderful. 

check amazon Japan, they now have Sansa products finally, but i don`t want/need/curious anymore now I have these apps!

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #75 of 458

Quote:

@Nywytboy68, you have many other players, how does the touch4G with equalizer/EQu app compare to them? -Also changed my sig too:)

For me, the SQ is easily the best I've heard. I like it's volume as well - allows me to drive my headphones with AUTHORITY!!! Of all my players ATM, I luv this the most - I find the sound to be clean & clear, the EQ responds immediately when you make adjustments,...you can hear as you tailor the sound.

Finally, since Apple refused to give us the 1 feature we all requested from day 1, these excellent apps have come along. I'm not a fanboi of ANY brand (I used to be a Sony fanboi), but I'm now an official EQu fanboi - these people have made a world of difference IMO.

As for all I've said above - this is IMO, YMMV!!!

Quote:

EQu for iPhone & iPad

Apple didn't do it. So we did!

http://www.elephantcandy.com/posts/news

Users who are viewing this thread

Back