Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #436 of 458
I like EQ10 but I can't seem to find how to access my shared full iTunes library (6000 songs) over Wi-Fi like the built-in "Music" app in IOS7 can. It can apparently only access the music that is physically on the iPad.

Is there any other gapless eq app that can do this yet?

I also tried Equalizer and EQu. They can't do this either. Plus, those two show music from the iCloud that they can't play even though Show All Music is turned off in Settings.

These apps are pretty useless right now.

Why can't someone come up with an EQ app that can insert itself into the stock Music app? Or into the audio path so any app will be able to use it?

Can Android devices do any of that?

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #437 of 458
You may not need an app. the equalisation on older ipods was truly dreadull; distortion even at just a few dB's of extra bass. But newer devices have decent equalisation. Some equalisers do introduce aliasing, however. The rockbox equaliser did this, for example with very high frequency sound. You can test yours with a sine/tone sweep. As it goes beyond 15K Hz you hear lower frequency 'zipping' sounds.

How recent have you tested this?  I know that newer builds have been changing the way they do interpolation, now using Hermite polynomials instead of simple linear interpolation.  Saratoga pointed this out to me in a thread some time back.  Aliasing is tied to the interpolation method, so as Rockbox migrates their interpolation method, this sort of thing might change. 

I use Rockbox EQ often for lower quality headphones, and generally am satisfied.  I really like the sound of the Onkyo app on iOS, though, especially when using its 64-bit setting.  The EQ interface for the Onkyo app is not as good, though -- I prefer traditional parametric controls over a "draw your own curve" type interface. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #438 of 458
Are there any EQ apps that can access music files stored on one of these -

http://www.kingston.com/us/wireless/wireless_readers

None of the EQ apps seem to be DLNA capable. Likewise none of the DLNA player apps have an EQ function. Catch 22.

Ideally there would be a standalone EQ app that can EQ whatever is playing and then you could pair it with a player app of your choice.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #440 of 458
My favourite EQ app at the moment on iOS is EQ10. I really think EQ10 is a great sounding EQ app on my iPhone 5S. It also as a stereo width function that makes the music warmer and more livelier and the EQ can either be 5 band parametric or standard 10 band.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #441 of 458
My favourite EQ app at the moment on iOS is EQ10. I really think EQ10 is a great sounding EQ app on my iPhone 5S. It also as a stereo width function that makes the music warmer and more livelier and the EQ can either be 5 band parametric or standard 10 band.

Ditto. I've tried about 20 apps and EQ10 is my fave. Used to like Equalizer but their new interface I don't like at all.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #442 of 458
I actually like CanOpener for both eq and cross feed.

CineXPlayer has a "Dolby" option that is interesting.

The onkyo app has an interesting eq, but I don't use it sine I use CanOpener.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #443 of 458
Btw for those that might find this thread through a search, CanOpener now has eq.

I may have to try that but I would really like:

flac capable
wifi file transfer - dumping itunes as it sucks...
has a nice 12 band EQ...

seems like the issue with finding a quality player is that you cannot find all 3 of those in 1 app/eq... unless I'm missing something....

Any help would be appreciated, I travel alot...have HD800's for the home and UE10 Pro's for my VModa Vamp Verza when I travel but really sucks no flac players that have all 3 of those without adding dumb google drive or using iCrap's documents section to put songs into... Really getting frustrated... probably end up buying the Astell & Kern player and dumping all this crap.... I'm close lol...

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #444 of 458

flac capable
has a nice 12 band EQ...

seems like the issue with finding a quality player is that you cannot find all 3 of those in 1 app/eq... unless I'm missing something....

Any help would be appreciated, I travel alot...have HD800's for the home and UE10 Pro's for my VModa Vamp Verza when I travel but really sucks no flac players that have all 3 of those without adding dumb google drive or using iCrap's documents section to put songs into... Really getting frustrated... probably end up buying the Astell & Kern player and dumping all this crap.... I'm close lol...

not sure you will get all three of your wishes.  But assuming you are using an idevice there seems to be a few flac players with good eq available.  And this one lets you load from Dropbox somehow:

http://www.ipadclubmalaysia.com/ampliflac-indeed-advanced-flac-player-ios/

and you can poke around on the appcrawlr site for more possibilities:

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-flac-player

I have never used the above but thought a quick search might yield some results for you.

cheers

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #445 of 458

flac capable
has a nice 12 band EQ...

I don't understand the preoccupation with FLAC. ALAC is the same quality, and conversion is a drag and drop operation with XLD.

That said, CanOpener supports FLAC and has a pencil EQ, so you can simply draw your curve. No WiFi; you must use iTunes to transfer the FLAC files.

I just convert everything to ALAC with XLD. It converts and adds to my iTunes library in one drag and drop operation for multiple songs. I then get all the features of iTunes to create smart list, playlist, or set tags.

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #446 of 458
  not sure you will get all three of your wishes.  But assuming you are using an idevice there seems to be a few flac players with good eq available.  And this one lets you load from Dropbox somehow:

http://www.ipadclubmalaysia.com/ampliflac-indeed-advanced-flac-player-ios/

and you can poke around on the appcrawlr site for more possibilities:

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-flac-player

I have never used the above but thought a quick search might yield some results for you.

cheers

Bixby thank you... I will certainly take a look.  I've pretty much researched everything out there almost...I'm ready to maybe invest in creating one lol... it's amazing to me how many peeps are attached at the hip to iTunes... it really stinks ... and I don't know how some of you are transferring FLAC or other files that iTunes doesn't even support to your iDevice.  I'm sure I'm missing something there...iTunes 11 is just horrible... but yes it is the prime source used to transfer.. I've tried "CopyTrans Control Center" which works pretty good its just getting the FLAC files into the proper player app.  AmpliFlac and other FLAC players must get them in from iTunes like many others so using a pc-based application to get the files on the device is pretty easy, its just then getting the appropriate player to then be able to access the FLAC or other lossless files which is the problem...ugh... talk about frustration. 

Oh and Allanmarcus, I use FLAC files so I have at least 44kHz/1000kbps from ripped CD music - I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which does a really good job. These files are only around 24mb and sound fantastic.  I do not want to have a mix of other formats as I have a rather large music collection so keeping to FLAC is definetly a good thing.

Thanks though Bixby, I'm going to check out these apps you mentioned and will surely give a verdict :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #447 of 458
  Bixby thank you... I will certainly take a look.  I've pretty much researched everything out there almost...I'm ready to maybe invest in creating one lol... it's amazing to me how many peeps are attached at the hip to iTunes... it really stinks ... and I don't know how some of you are transferring FLAC or other files that iTunes doesn't even support to your iDevice.  I'm sure I'm missing something there...iTunes 11 is just horrible... but yes it is the prime source used to transfer.. I've tried "CopyTrans Control Center" which works pretty good its just getting the FLAC files into the proper player app.  AmpliFlac and other FLAC players must get them in from iTunes like many others so using a pc-based application to get the files on the device is pretty easy, its just then getting the appropriate player to then be able to access the FLAC or other lossless files which is the problem...ugh... talk about frustration. 

Oh and Allanmarcus, I use FLAC files so I have at least 44kHz/1000kbps from ripped CD music - I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which does a really good job. These files are only around 24mb and sound fantastic.  I do not want to have a mix of other formats as I have a rather large music collection so keeping to FLAC is definetly a good thing.

Thanks though Bixby, I'm going to check out these apps you mentioned and will surely give a verdict :)

I've heard it's not stable on Windows, but it's by far the best Mac music organizer on the Mac.

As for copying FLACs to iOS programs, you connect your device to the computer via USB. In iTunes you select your device, then click on the Apps tab. You then scroll to the list of apps in the lower part of the screen, find the app, select it, and drags files to the file list on the right side of the screen.

There are also numerous programs like iExplorer that will let you copy files from the computer to the iDevice. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #448 of 458
I gave up resisting long ago, settled on Aiff cuz I did not like the sound of flac at least in old foobar.  Forget the flames, I hear lots of things I am not supposed to, ha ha.  And I keep using itunes cuz it is simple as pie to load anything to my ipod.  Then I use Equalizer to play the files.  Who knows I may move it all over to Android at some point.  But itunes is on both my mac and ipod simply because it is an easy file manager.  I just don't listen to it:)

And my mac could care less, since itunes is never used for listening on it, just for grabbing an old car talk podcast or so.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #449 of 458

I've heard it's not stable on Windows, but it's by far the best Mac music organizer on the Mac.

As for copying FLACs to iOS programs, you connect your device to the computer via USB. In iTunes you select your device, then click on the Apps tab. You then scroll to the list of apps in the lower part of the screen, find the app, select it, and drags files to the file list on the right side of the screen.

There are also numerous programs like iExplorer that will let you copy files from the computer to the iDevice. 

I gave up resisting long ago, settled on Aiff cuz I did not like the sound of flac at least in old foobar.  Forget the flames, I hear lots of things I am not supposed to, ha ha.  And I keep using itunes cuz it is simple as pie to load anything to my ipod.  Then I use Equalizer to play the files.  Who knows I may move it all over to Android at some point.  But itunes is on both my mac and ipod simply because it is an easy file manager.  I just don't listen to it:)

And my mac could care less, since itunes is never used for listening on it, just for grabbing an old car talk podcast or so.

Thank you both, really appreciate it.  iExplorer looks cool... and yeah the format is really something to consider depending upon the type of music and how mobile / what equip your using... complicated stuff...but I guess the quest for the best sound on the perfect setup is what we all are after....Thanks Guys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back