Qualia on Ebay 910$ and 40 mins left (not mine)
Mar 30, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Have you heard the Orpheus? o_O

Yes, I recently and briefly have heard the HE90, not with the matcing HE90V, but with a Gilmore Electrostatic and it sounded damn good, don't get me wrong I love speakers but I have yet to find a speaker that has the same amount of detail as a good pair of headphones. I love to watch movies on our home theatre system and hear the floor rumble and quake but whenever I listen with headphones I just feel like I'm hearing more of what's actually there than with the speakers, mind you they aren't $2000 speakers the whole package only costed around $1000 when they were purchased but they still can't even match my HD650s which are only $300 headphones. Bottom line is if I had the money, the space in my bedroom, and didn't care about my parents or the neighbors I would switch over to speakers in a flash however, unfortunately I feel that under $2000, headphones will always outperform comparably priced speakers.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Yes, I recently and briefly have heard the HE90, not with the matcing HE90V, but with a Gilmore Electrostatic and it sounded damn good, don't get me wrong I love speakers but I have yet to find a speaker that has the same amount of detail as a good pair of headphones. I love to watch movies on our home theatre system and hear the floor rumble and quake but whenever I listen with headphones I just feel like I'm hearing more of what's actually there than with the speakers, mind you they aren't $2000 speakers the whole package only costed around $1000 when they were purchased but they still can't even match my HD650s which are only $300 headphones. Bottom line is if I had the money, the space in my bedroom, and didn't care about my parents or the neighbors I would switch over to speakers in a flash however, unfortunately I feel that under $2000, headphones will always outperform comparably priced speakers.

That's hard to say. I think they are different beasts and each can do things the other cannot.

With headphones you get detail uncontaminated by the room you are in and by crossover networks.

With speakers you get a nice real soundstage and the music coming from in front of you as it would in a real performance.

I really think that even a pair of good $200 speakers can do things a $2000 pair of headphones cannot and a $200 pair of phones can do things a $10,000 pair of speakers cannot do.

There is something to be gained by having both.

I feel the same about vinyl and CD as I can truly say that my $300 turntable does things my much more expensive CD player cannot do while the CD player can do things that possibly even a $10,000 vinyl rig cannot do.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
drlee27, all the other crap in this thread aside, get ready for some adjustment issues when (or hopefully, if...
tongue.gif
) you receive the Qualia.

In hindsight, I really wished I'd gone to a Qualia store to be measured and adjusted properly instead of buying it 'blind' with just the cardboard head fitting tool. It took me quite a long time to get the set of the cups right as the sound can change even by varying the usual 'landing area when you put them on normally' by a couple of millimetres... I'm not kidding.

I'm sure you've read the other threads about this on this forum, but if you equip yourself with a set of jeweller's screwdrivers (2mm "+" ) then you can adjust the cup height without damage to the thread. Don't over-tighten.

When you receive it, I hope you enjoy it (after the undoubted initial irritation of the fitting). The 010 is not my favourite headphone but nevertheless it continues to intrigue me every time I put it on.

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlee27
Ever since I picked up this expensive headphone listening hobby a year ago, I have owned the hd650, sr225, sa5000, and ksc75 (my last purchase). I am very happy with this collection and have no desire to buy any more headphones. I enjoy all these cans for their different flavors (hd650=dark, grado=forward and bright, sa5000=detail and fast, ksc75=portable)and will keep them all. I have come to realize that one is not necessarily better than the others, just different. Usually I like to listen to the same piece of music repeatedly and now I do so with different cans. There may be more expensive headphones out there, but I doubt that they would significantly improve my listening experience. I hope my opinion can help some fellow head-fi members cure their addiction.

P.S. I welcome anyone to convince me to buy another pair of headphones

Also posted by drlee27

I am the winner of the auction ; I hope the item is indeed brand new and the medium size will fit me; $1750 is a great deal for the qualia

Famous last words!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back