Qualia on Ebay 910$ and 40 mins left (not mine)
Mar 30, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 53
*Sigh* as I said earlier, the only you'll get is trouble.
frown.gif
There have been dozens of similar discussions in the past with ugly results.

Don't go into an Apple Computers fan forum and try to justify why Window based computers are superior for the price. It just ain't going to work. Both sides are right, but you're at the wrong place.

[size=xx-small]It's just an analogy. Don't kill me.
tongue.gif
[/size]

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 53
Personally I think both arguments have their strong points. IMO price being equall, headphones can be much more revealing, detailed and true to life sounding. Speakers on the otherhand, can offer a much more dynamic sound, more engaging, like being at the concert so to speak.

Im really starting to enjoy listening to headphones, but being a big speaker buff, I really enjoy the atmosphere loud speakers create (A decent set of loudspeakers anyways) Thers just something about having my living room rocking to a live conert through my speakers, the floor shaking with every beat of the kick drum. having to raise my voice to talk to the person next to me, just like at the concert.

Its 2 completley different ways to listen to music, Headphones so detailed and engaging, Loudspeakers so LIVE sounding, so Dynamic.

This of course is all My opinion, each to their own

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Here are some speakers posted JUST TODAY that I believe would sound better than any headphones:

One

Two

Three

WOAH ! have you ever heard a JBL speaker lol.. YUCK.. JBL is like Cerwin Vega, There rock speakers, not Hi-Fi.. only, Cerwin Vegas ROCK much better
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #35 of 53
I'm puzzled why anyone thinks it's a "versus" situation. Most people who have the high end headphone rigs also have speakers. Those who don't, don't for a specific reason (tiny apartments, bad acoustics, young children, etc.)

I had a $20k speaker rig (speakers were $4k of that) in my last apartment in Tokyo. I also invested in the Qualia because I listen primarily while listening in bed. I also got the K 1000 for use in the computer rig. And a 7.1 home theater rig. Different uses, different gear.

You're raising an empty argument. I don't know any Qualia owner who doesn't have good speakers as well or some good reason why not. And yes, there are people who just plain prefer headphones. That's their thing.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
You're raising an empty argument. Best regards,

-Jason

I don't think so, I stated early on that headphones fulfill a specific need but that that was not my real point.

And, simply, that, in general, speakers can produce music with higher fidelity than headphones can. Further, this argument extends into the $2k price range.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #37 of 53
What a fun discussion! So here's my 2 cents.

I have heard a great sound system, once.... it was like you had the orchestra in front of you and you could just walk amongst the instruments, some type of exotic source, amps, magneplaners with some type of sub.

This setup was somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000. In an acoustically treated room.

Enter reality, I have a beautiful home, wife, kid, dog, and no amount of money would provide me with an acoustically treated room to produce this type of sound in my home with speakers that would pass WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Even if I could find something that would pass WAF, everyone would have to be out of the house. I can't play piano for 5 min. uninterupted if anyone is home. With speakers everyone would have to be out of the house. No late night listening when the rest of the house has gone to sleep.

Headphones are a godsend for me. Even with one of my older setups (Grado HP-2/RKV) this IMO rivals the sound of the B&W801 in an acoustically treated room. I really liked the sound of these speakers, but preferred the sound of the previously mentioned headphone setup.

Today with an Omega II/BH, L3000 or Qualia/EMP AE or Aural Audition I can have a sound quality I never thought possible. All in privacy and all after the house has gone to bed.

OK it's true, I'm just a headphone junkie!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 53
Hmm. Well. As someone who owns high end headphones and have owned some pretty nifty speaker rigs, I have to say I have no idea what value your points here have at all.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

I don't think so, I stated early on that headphones fulfill a specific need but that that was not my real point.

And, simply, that, in general, speakers can produce music with higher fidelity than headphones can. Further, this argument extends into the $2k price range.

Did you miss this thread?

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171676

I would think it's a much more appropriate location to debate the headphone vs. speakers dilemma.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

With all due respect, I have to disagree, in a hypothetical situation, if someone had $100k to spend on their ultimate listening system witih no practical constraints (room, family, etc.) I really doubt that anyone would buy headphones vs. speakers.

My point is, that, in general, speakers can produce music more realistically than headphones. And, if you accept that premise, I'm arguing that for $2k or more, you can find a used pair of speakers that present music more accurately than headphones.

Yeah you say that because of those VR-4jrs. I haven't those but I have the VR-5s and I know what you mean. I really think that it is very hard to beat something from the Von Schweikert lineup at any price point you look at. Sometimes I think this whole headphone thing is just a compomise because I can't have my speakers here in the city (for the time being at least).

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #41 of 53
If I had the room and didn't have to move from coast to coast every half year, I'd go for speakers. I don't even have to listen to the Orpheus, I know there'll always be something missing there, and that's a given. The realism and impact of speakers really cannot be matched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I take it you've never heard an Orpheus huh? If I had a $100k to spend I would get a speaker system and an Orph. Anyways I would be interested in hearing your recommendations on a pair of $1800 speakers that will sound as good as the Qualias.

Have you heard the Orpheus? o_O

Hell, I'd run to speaker-fi right now if I could, and sell all my gear. Not even a doubt in my mind if I didn't have to consider room/convenience.

I think it's alright we run this thread off-topic.. since the auction is already over.
tongue.gif
. Damnit. I had my snipe on $1400, I would've gladly paid $1700 though.. Aaah!

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound
Today with an Omega II/BH, L3000 or Qualia/EMP AE or Aural Audition I can have a sound quality I never thought possible.

I'd take the OII with the BH over ANY speaker set-up under $5K. Only when we get into the $6K or higher territory would I consider speakers.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #43 of 53
hmm...i don't understand what the point of this argument is as well.
People have different preferences...if one person thinks speakers are better...so be it. You can never prove such a statement (whether it's for headphones or for speakers) since these are all opinions and subjective.

Sure...you can say 2k is a lot for a headphone when you can get speakers for better sound. So be it...but it seems a fine line is crossed when one person says it's OBVIOUSLY better...meaning everyone else who believes otherwise is wrong. I suppose that's where I disagree with everything being said. How do you prove such a thing when it's purely based upon someone's opinion...and does it really matter? especially when this is a headphone forum. If someone wants to really debate it...put up a separate thread discussing it.

Again...think some people just like to debate for argument's sake...

BTW, as a former qualia owner 2X over and as owner of a decent speaker system (Maggies), I think it's definitely worth it.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #44 of 53
Yup, different strokes for different folks. Some will never understand why anyone would drop +1k for a set of cans and some will never understand why other would drop +100k for a speaker set up. All I can say is for the closing price that the Qualias went for it's a good deal.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I am the winner of the auction
icon10.gif
; I hope the item is indeed brand new and the medium size will fit me; $1750 is a great deal for the qualia.

drlee27, all the other crap in this thread aside, get ready for some adjustment issues when (or hopefully, if...
tongue.gif
) you receive the Qualia.

In hindsight, I really wished I'd gone to a Qualia store to be measured and adjusted properly instead of buying it 'blind' with just the cardboard head fitting tool. It took me quite a long time to get the set of the cups right as the sound can change even by varying the usual 'landing area when you put them on normally' by a couple of millimetres... I'm not kidding.

I'm sure you've read the other threads about this on this forum, but if you equip yourself with a set of jeweller's screwdrivers (2mm "+" ) then you can adjust the cup height without damage to the thread. Don't over-tighten.

When you receive it, I hope you enjoy it (after the undoubted initial irritation of the fitting). The 010 is not my favourite headphone but nevertheless it continues to intrigue me every time I put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back