Qualia on Ebay 910$ and 40 mins left (not mine)
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I am the winner of the auction
icon10.gif
; I hope the item is indeed brand new and the medium size will fit me; $1750 is a great deal for the qualia.

Again, I don't get it. You can get an awesome pair of speakers for $2k used that I'm sure can blow away any pair of headphones. What gives???

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Again, I don't get it. You can get an awesome pair of speakers for $2k used that I'm sure can blow away any pair of headphones. What gives???

I think you might be asking for some major flaming here.
rolleyes.gif

Can $2k speakers really blow away any pair of headphones in everyone's opinion? There is a reason that we come to Head-Fi... from what I understand, headphones are our hobby. I won't go into a rant about why people buy expensive headphones and blah blah blah, but...

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Cannot compare oranges with apples. I listen to music mainly thru headphones; for $2k, you can get arguably one of best headphones that were ever made. With speakers, you have to spend many times that to get the top of the line products.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I think you might be asking for some major flaming here.
rolleyes.gif

Can $2k speakers really blow away any pair of headphones in everyone's opinion? There is a reason that we come to Head-Fi... from what I understand, headphones are our hobby. I won't go into a rant about why people buy expensive headphones and blah blah blah, but...

No, I hear ya, I don't even own a pair of speakers; only headphones. But, I thought we own headphones for practical purposes primarily: Portability, neighbor issues, etc.

I don't think ANYONE who's heard a top-shelf speaker system can EVER say that headphones can touch speakers for higher fidelity. Can they??/

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

No, I hear ya, I don't even own a pair of speakers; only headphones. But, I thought we own headphones for practical purposes primarily: Portability, neighbor issues, etc.

I don't think ANYONE who's heard a top-shelf speaker system can EVER say that headphones can touch speakers for higher fidelity. Can they??/

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get as much detail from a $2k set of speakers as you would from that particular headphone. As well, headphones vs. speakers is total personal preference...

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

$2000 won't buy you a top shelf speaker system, in terms of speakers it will buy you a pretty good pair however, they won't be able to achive the same amount of detail and clarity as the Qualias.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get as much detail from a $2k set of speakers as you would from that particular headphone. As well, headphones vs. speakers is total personal preference...

With all due respect, I have to disagree, in a hypothetical situation, if someone had $100k to spend on their ultimate listening system witih no practical constraints (room, family, etc.) I really doubt that anyone would buy headphones vs. speakers.

My point is, that, in general, speakers can produce music more realistically than headphones. And, if you accept that premise, I'm arguing that for $2k or more, you can find a used pair of speakers that present music more accurately than headphones.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #23 of 53
I take it you've never heard an Orpheus huh? If I had a $100k to spend I would get a speaker system and an Orph. Anyways I would be interested in hearing your recommendations on a pair of $1800 speakers that will sound as good as the Qualias.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 53
Now if you had 2000$ and some real know-how I think you could build a set of speakers that would surpass headphones, But youd need some real good knowlege of crossover networks and baffle compensation, which I unfortaunatly dont have, Well.. not yet
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #25 of 53
Ok, you're opening a huge can of worms here that I don't think you want to. Firstly, this is how you presented the argument:

Quote:

Right. The important parts here have been bolded. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qualia does file under "pair of headphones."

Then we've got this little number:

Quote:

I don't think ANYONE who's heard a top-shelf speaker system can EVER say that headphones can touch speakers for higher fidelity. Can they??

Alrighty. Top shelf speaker system and used $2k speaker system... no, they're not even close to each other.

But the next bit is where your argument totally falls apart, as you completely go against your earlier statements:

Quote:

With all due respect, I have to disagree, in a hypothetical situation, if someone had $100k to spend on their ultimate listening system witih no practical constraints (room, family, etc.) I really doubt that anyone would buy headphones vs. speakers.

My point is, that, in general, speakers can produce music more realistically than headphones. And, if you accept that premise, I'm arguing that for $2k or more, you can find a used pair of speakers that present music more accurately than headphones.

Do you see the problem here? Suddenly, all the rules changed. You went to "$2k or more" when before you were at "2k used." Look, I'm really sorry, but even barring your discrepancies... unless you've heard the Qualia out of a good setup and have compared it to this mythical speaker rig you're talking about I don't think you have a leg to stand on here.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 53
I bounced around the $2k speaker number because there were previous discussions about whether the $1.7k was a good price for the qualias or whether they were worth more. Anyhow, I'm comparing headphones vs speakers in the $2k RANGE give or take a few hundred dollars. Very immaterial part of my argument.

Further, it's obvious that a $2k speaker system vs a much more speaker system are different, I was merely trying to prove my premise.

I think my logic is VERY sound. Maybe my articulation needs work. Maybe...

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Here are some speakers posted JUST TODAY that I believe would sound better than any headphones:

One

Two

Three

That you believe? Come on, seriously. I'm outa this thread.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Here are some speakers posted JUST TODAY that I believe would sound better than any headphones:

One

Two

Three

Have you heard or owned all three of these if not then I don't think this should be part of your argument. You can't argue something purely on speca, price, and looks. Unless you've heard the Qualias and all of those speakers mentioned on comparable rigs I don't think you present a very fair argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back