Qualia 010 & Beyer DT 880 on the balance!
Jun 8, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #136 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Putting it in a word, as someone else concisely said 'spelunking' seems right to me, especially with jazz and classical. Just wrong... no other way to put it.

My humble view... when a sound is essentially "wrong", just like when it is essentially "right", you will normally feel it at once. The more you speculate on "advanced", "capable" or whatever, the more you'll be misleaded. With sound, if you don't have the harmony, you don't have nothing really.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #137 of 155
I know the Qualia has angled drivers like the SA5000. So I suppose it shares the feature of an additional reflecting surface with the latter, as demonstrated in this post.

So -- if it's not a sacrilege to modify a $2500 headphone (shame on you, Sony!) -- how about lining the inner rear surface resulting from the angled baffle with velvet corresponding to my example? I'm sure it would help with the hollowness, as it did with my SA5000.

peacesign.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #138 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
My humble view...

Really?
tongue.gif

Quote:

The more you speculate on "advanced", "capable" or whatever, the more you'll be misleaded.

Not if you have a snowdrift of other headphones to constantly re-judge.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #139 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I know the Qualia has angled drivers like the SA5000. So I suppose it shares the feature of an additional reflecting surface with the latter, as demonstrated in this post.

So -- if it's not a sacrilege to modify a $2500 headphone (shame on you, Sony!) -- how about lining the inner rear surface resulting from the angled baffle with velvet corresponding to my example? I'm sure it would help with the hollowness, as it did with my SA5000.

peacesign.gif

The most important thing to be considered in positioning is to put the Qualia in a "back position", not with the headband angled (as I said one time) because with a angled position of the headband you will have more bass that really are bass reflections. The drivers (that are in a advanced position) must be positioned perfectly in front of the hears, this position remember me that one I adopted with R10.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #140 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The most important thing to be considered in positioning is to put the Qualia in a "back position", not with the headband angled (as I said one time) because with a angled position of the headband you will have more bass that really are bass reflections. The drivers (that are in a advanced position) must be positioned perfectly in front of the hears, this position remember me that one I adopted with R10.

Yeah, I know -- but how about my suggested modification?

peacesign.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #141 of 155
Quote:

Yeah, I know -- but how about my suggested modification?

peacesign.gif

I had in the past the Stax Sigma PRO, do you know this electrostaic cans? This headphones has a little chamber and the trasducers in a totaly frontal position. The inside of the caps was soundproof with phono assorbent material. May be, something like this could be help a more "dry" sound for the Qualia...

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #142 of 155
Quote:

Putting it in a word, as someone else concisely said 'spelunking' seems right to me, especially with jazz and classical. Just wrong... no other way to put it.

hehe... I think that was me.
icon10.gif
Quote:

For electronica however, the Qualia has no equals. It's the "dogs bleeping bollocks".

I'll have to give this a shot if I ever get the chance to hear them again.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #143 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I had in the past the Stax Sgma PRO, do you know this electrostaic cans? This headphones has a little chamber and the trasducers in a totaly frontal position. The inside of the caps was soundproof with phono assorbent material. May be, something like this could be help a more "dry" sound for the Qualia...

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! I know the Sigma Pro, I've owned it several years ago (and still own the components), and it was the trigger for my own electrostatic housing design with more moderately angled drivers (see my signature!). BTW, «little chamber» is a gross understatement...

attachment.php

peacesign.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #144 of 155
Quote:

Really?
tongue.gif

Oh, naturally.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #145 of 155
Quote:

peacesign.gif

The fit is different on the Q010 from what I can see (I still haven't got the SA5000 I asked for ages ago, and I'm not buying one). When on-head, there is usually no or minimal gap between the pad leather and the edges of the inner baffle, so the potentially reflective plastic surfaces which do feature around the extreme edges of the Q010 earcups don't actually have a chance to sonicall react much.

The more likely culprits as I've been saying for quite a long time now are the baffle, and as a secondary consideration, the components of the driver itself.

The baffle will absorb body oils and moisture over time and it remains to be seen if this changes anything. It will undoubtedly change the sonic characteristics but for better or worse I don't know.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #146 of 155
Quote:

The fit is different on the Q010 from what I can see (I still haven't got the SA5000 I asked for ages ago, and I'm not buying one). When on-head, there is usually no or minimal gap between the pad leather and the edges of the inner baffle, so the potentially reflective plastic surfaces which do feature around the extreme edges of the Q010 earcups don't actually have a chance to sonicall react much.

The more likely culprits as I've been saying for quite a long time now are the baffle, and as a secondary consideration, the components of the driver itself.

The baffle will absorb body oils and moisture over time and it remains to be seen if this changes anything. It will undoubtedly change the sonic characteristics but for better or worse I don't know.

Is there anything you can apply to the inside of the baffle to lessen the reverb effect, maybe some kind of special liquid or material? Or would that sacrifice too much of the Qualia's positive sonic qualities?

Nik> You ordered from Stoneaudio? I have ordered from them before. THey did not deliver the goods and I have sent them numerous emails to complain but they did not reply. I would never use them again no matter how much it would cost me extra to order from another retailer.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #148 of 155
Quote:

Don't!!! AFAIK this foam gets quite hard, hence isn't usable for sound absorbing purposes.

If the inner baffle is closed and reflective (as it seems) and covers a considerale area, I would suggest to coat it with some velvet or any other soft self-adhesive fabric of a certain thickness.

Quote:

But seriously, another key factor is what's between the inner and outer baffle.

True. There could be reflections between the membrane and the rear grill, which doesn't appear to be too sound/air permeable (also according to Sony's own description). Maybe the space behind the membrane is completely undampened and the hollow effect a deliberate result of the engineers' sonic notions? I wouldn't put it past Sony.
cool.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #149 of 155
Quote:

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/p...roductID=11877

?

Why not try it and see?
tongue.gif

But seriously, another key factor is what's between the inner and outer baffle.

Do you mean the material used to construct it or the "inner cavity between the two?

Is it possible to change this? But I wonder if you used some kind of material to dampen the reverb would it also dampen other aspects?

If you do decide to modify your Qualia's then I would be interested in your results. At the moment I have one on extended loan and if another opportunity came up to own I think I would go for it.

Has anyone tried or inquired about modifications to their Qualia's, besides the cable change.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #150 of 155
Quote:

Don't!!! AFAIK this foam gets quite hard, hence isn't usable for sound absorbing purposes.

Are you Swiss by any chance?
tongue.gif

Edit: Ah... I didn't notice your location. That explains it.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back