Qualia 010 & Beyer DT 880 on the balance!
Jun 7, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #121 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I don't know... (I hope this) thanks! But I think he was telling something around a no-credibility of Nik... may be because now I'm telling something not so positive about the Qualia, that NOW he loves so much... or probably he do not loves the DT 880...

Best!
Nicola

no no!

What "I" translated was what YOU might have said to your brother
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #122 of 155
Argh! how do qualia threads always end up like this? It's almost as bad as the amp war days lol! Everyone relax, no one is calling anyone an idiot here. If you like the can you like it, if you don't you don't. PEACE!

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #124 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Nik's next amp:

CMOY?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Now you are just ASKIN' for trouble!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #125 of 155
I'm still waiting for the EarMax...
tongue.gif
(UK not so fast in shipping as Germany or USA...), but still faster then Italy
confused.gif

Best!
Nicola

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #126 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
no no!

What "I" translated was what YOU might have said to your brother
smily_headphones1.gif

Good...
frown.gif

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #127 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I'm still waiting for the EarMax...
tongue.gif
(UK not so fast in shipping as Germany or USA...), but still faster then Italy
confused.gif

Best!
Nicola

how long since you ordered? Did you order from the audiophile club or stone audio?

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #128 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Well, I think the Florida meet thread has mostly convinced me, but I would like to know what exactly is it that changes for the better when moving to a balanced setup?

Depends on he headphone:

RS-1 - I didn't find any really huge changes in this one single-ended or balanced.

Senn 650's - Depth of the sound goes up incredibly, I've never heard anything like it. It's a must hear and since it emphasizes one of those key reasons why I keep these cans around, and one of their strong points, it's highly recomended.

PS-1's - Oh Yeah! The depth of the sound goes up considerably and it hits a Senn 650 like depth. Very good for these phones and a real help in making them a one stop, good for everything headphone. The other real improvement is the bass on these headphones. A single-ended like the V2-SE really can't control these headphones like the Balanced Gilmore can. I did a brief comparison of the V2-SE and the Balanced Ref and it was no real comparison. I love them with the speed and control of the Balanced Ref, but with the V2-SE, the speed of the bass and really the entire frequency spectrum was compromised.

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #129 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
how long since you ordered? Did you order from the audiophile club or stone audio?

Stone audio...

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #130 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
PS-1's - Oh Yeah! The depth of the sound goes up considerably and it hits a Senn 650 like depth. Very good for these phones and a real help in making them a one stop, good for everything headphone. The other real improvement is the bass on these headphones. A single-ended like the V2-SE really can't control these headphones like the Balanced Gilmore can. I did a brief comparison of the V2-SE and the Balanced Ref and it was no real comparison. I love them with the speed and control of the Balanced Ref, but with the V2-SE, the speed of the bass and really the entire frequency spectrum was compromised.

now I'm really tempted to recable the PS1's.

been a while since I listened to your balanced pair and have forgotten how different it is from the regular PS1. maybe I'll take the cable off my MDR-023 balanced recable and put it on the PS1 for a quick fix. need to get my PS1 from my home first though.

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #131 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
now I'm really tempted to recable the PS1's.

been a while since I listened to your balanced pair and have forgotten how different it is from the regular PS1. maybe I'll take the cable off my MDR-023 balanced recable and put it on the PS1 for a quick fix. need to get my PS1 from my home first though.

I would love to hear your impressions on how they change in sound. Please PM me and let me know what you think if you do recable.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #132 of 155
I would like to write now a second part of my description of these two cans (Qualia 010 & Beyerdynamic DT 880).

The Qualia, I still think so, is the most advanced cans ever made, but I’m convinced that they are built especially for the new formats as SACD or DVD audio, probably with the reed book CD they are too much advanced and all the details they show, produce sometimes an effect of disturb to the listener, even with hi class sources. May be would be different with turntables, but I don’t have listened the Qualia with an analogical system.

After nine mounts of Qualia listening, I find the DT 880 still detailed and with a richer (lush) sound especially in the med, for example female voices generally are better with the DT 880. IMO is very, very important the “walk” you are coming from for a right impression of a can. Coming from the most detailed can (and here all are agree the Qualia are) and to find the DT 880 still “detailed” is something credible and important. In this regard I did not found the HD 650 “detailed” as the DT 880 when I heard them after the Qualia. (The RP010 is equal for the two can: DT 880 and HD 650, I think because the two cans have similar specs.).

But he most important advantage I find in he DT 880 respect to the Qualia is a BIGGER dimension of each instruments or voice, yes, I’m sure of this. If I hear a piano in the Qualia is very precise, detailed, real… but even not BIG as in the DT 880. May be the RP010 works better with a hi impedence and low sensitivity cans… I don’t know. This BIG dimension of instruments is what I like a lot for the near speaker-like sound. I think that is the most important aspect, more then detail or transparence. Generally headphones are more detailed than speakers, but with littler sound. Soundstage is also very important for a speaker-like sound.

(Rudi is working for a balanced RP010 + Balanced DT 880).

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #133 of 155
Hi Nik,

In this thread you say:

...Qualia has a slight “natural resonance”...

...produce sometimes an effect of disturb to the listener...

This would appear to be what I hear when I have listened to the Qualia. Even when playing SACDs, the problem didn't go away. I suspect that the problem would exist with all types of source (CD, vinyl, tape, SACD, DVD-A etc).

--Jatinder

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #134 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinder
Hi Nik,

In this thread you say:

...Qualia has a slight “natural resonance”...

...produce sometimes an effect of disturb to the listener...

This would appear to be what I hear when I have listened to the Qualia. Even when playing SACDs, the problem didn't go away. I suspect that the problem would exist with all types of source (CD, vinyl, tape, SACD, DVD-A etc).

--Jatinder

Hi Jatinder,

nice to meet you again, I always take in great consideration all your words and listenign impressions, I think you know this.

Good, the Qualia is the most weird can I ever had in my hands, thi is sure! And sometimes I'm very disappointed with this complicated object... Yes that effect I think depends A LOT by the fit and seal of the can. I had experimented many pistions and another can (as now the DT 880) is helping me a lot to have a objective reference. I think that is it possible to find a position were that resonance goes totally out. Is also true that the Qualia has a "micro-room" ambience as a particular kind of his sound presentation. This is also sure, for me the Qualia is more in electrostatic way than in a dynamic. So not speaker-like as other cans as DT 880 or HD 650 or R10 especially drived with dualmono (or balanced) amplifier. This is what I think at the moment, but the weird Qualia (may be) do reserve other surprises... I tell you this honestly with all my little competence.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #135 of 155
Putting it in a word, as someone else concisely said 'spelunking' seems right to me, especially with jazz and classical. Just wrong... no other way to put it.

Interestingly, it sounds slightly less so directly out of the iPod, and when allied to the Black Dragon cable (which is I think definitely inferior in technical terms to the stock cable, but is more effective for me until I build something physically and technically better, which won't be that hard) it's pretty palatable for any style of music.

For electronica however, the Qualia has no equals. It's the "dogs bleeping bollocks".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back