QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,292 of 2,247
The Avener - To Let Myself Go, in Audirvana, ok DAC, the beloved Quads - married in love, whit the tunnel of love, the weird hamburger-cushion-combo? The SLAMBADDAPANNGDABAWHAM_DEEP SLAM? Wow!

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,293 of 2,247
Well I took the plunge and ordered a set, bit worried about their size after reading this thread as i’d say my head was on the smaller size.
Just need to break the news to the mrs now . . .
With the headband cover and foam piece, i've installed, they fit perfectly and disappear on my head after a short period.
Highly recommended by myself. :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,294 of 2,247
New to the forum, so forgive me if this is a numpty question ..

I‘ve just bought some Quad ERA-1 headphones, which I’m happy with, but thought that I’d look into spare cables - just in case, and because I noticed that some reviewers had talked about them fraying. I’ve seen some on Amazon which have two mono 3.5mm jacks (one for each ear) going to a stereo jack - which makes sense to me - but looking at the cable that comes with the headphones, it’s got stereo jacks for each ear. My question is - is there a reason for that? Will the mono jacks do just as well?

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,296 of 2,247
New to the forum, so forgive me if this is a numpty question ..

I‘ve just bought some Quad ERA-1 headphones, which I’m happy with, but thought that I’d look into spare cables - just in case, and because I noticed that some reviewers had talked about them fraying. I’ve seen some on Amazon which have two mono 3.5mm jacks (one for each ear) going to a stereo jack - which makes sense to me - but looking at the cable that comes with the headphones, it’s got stereo jacks for each ear. My question is - is there a reason for that? Will the mono jacks do just as well?
I put about 4cm (1.5") of black heat shrink on mine within a few days of getting them. You can't tell its there & will hopefully stop the fraying.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,297 of 2,247
So i have now gotten my ERA-1 to work just fine with the Burson C3R after all, the solution was simply getting an iFi iEMatch. Works perfectly, gets completely rid of the noise floor and the ERA-1 scale just beautifully. I'm even getting some pretty nice soundstage (which didn't seem to be a strong suit of the Quads to me so far) on songs like Radiohead's "House of Cards". This really is a headphone which already sounds good on smartphone and keeps getting better with every improvement in your audio chain...

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #1,298 of 2,247
These cans going pretty great with A-gd R2R 11 with leather pads...I'd love to test out the A-gd R28 balanced amp/dac with them.
Saw one review where the guy said it had aspects/technicalities matching LCD-4 !

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,300 of 2,247
I share his opinion. Very scalable phone.
Plug it to Dcs Bartok or Chord Dave, Benchmark dac3-hpa4, and this phone will sit next to the big boys. Seriously.
Those are all TOTL product that can make the Quad’s sing. I’d like to add the TT2, Hugo 2, and RME ADi-2 FS also makes them come alive. The Quads are definitely flying under the radar for being the best headphones under $1k.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,301 of 2,247
Anyone had some headtime with DCA Ether 2 vs Era-1 ?

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,302 of 2,247
Those are all TOTL product that can make the Quad’s sing. I’d like to add the TT2, Hugo 2, and RME ADi-2 FS also makes them come alive. The Quads are definitely flying under the radar for being the best headphones under $1k.

The Quad sounds pleasently good with an average mobile phone as well. Not really gear dependent. That is its huge strength.
But if you put more and more under, you get more and more from this phone.
I didn't find any priced source gear that is overkill to the Quad.
If you take forexample the Lcd2 classic, that has same price, for that overkill even your rig.
I could say here the Hifimans in this pricerange too.
They are just not in the same class with the Quad. They can't give more with more massive gears, like the Quad can.
This phone can work well with cheap sources, not like the Abyss or Lcd4.
Theye are request massive gears for showing they sabretooth. But if you have chance to listen together these phones from a same correct stuff, you will be surprised, guaranteed.
Only the personal preferences will make differences.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,303 of 2,247
I think I read somewhere the brainwavz alara used the same planars units as these..that can't be right, can it ?

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,304 of 2,247
I think I read somewhere the brainwavz alara used the same planars units as these..that can't be right, can it ?
It’s actually likely, although the ERA-1 does seem to be tuned a little differently

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,305 of 2,247

It’s actually likely, although the ERA-1 does seem to be tuned a little differently

When you consider how many IEMs use off the shelf balanced armatures from Knowles, Sonion, or Bellsing, yet still manage to craft a unique sound, well, I'm not too worried. Granted, the mixing and matching of parts there helps, but so much goes into the tuning the end sound besides just the transducer that I would doubt you'd get much more than a strong family resemblance out of two different headphones using the same OEM drivers. That's the case with the same planars that Sendy, Sivga, and Monoprice use in their respective headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back