QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,262 of 2,255
So I asked the fellows from Dekoni for a pad that could fit the Quad and they suggested trying the M50x pads. I need to check the pad measurements but I might give it a shot if they look similar.

Interestingly I just noticed that Brainwavz, which sells aftermarket earpads, was supplying the Alara with a set of hybrid velour pads (like the Quad) but also a set of perforated leather pads. This is the kind of leather pads I'm looking forward to testing with the Quad (similar to the stock leather pads but hopefully much thinner).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,263 of 2,255
So I asked the fellows from Dekoni for a pad that could fit the Quad and they suggested trying the M50x pads. I need to check the pad measurements but I might give it a shot if they look similar.

Interestingly I just noticed that Brainwavz, which sells aftermarket earpads, was supplying the Alara with a set of hybrid velour pads (like the Quad) but also a set of perforated leather pads. This is the kind of leather pads I'm looking forward to testing with the Quad (similar to the stock leather pads but hopefully much thinner).

I have a pair of these for my Fostex TR-X00 PHs and they seem to be a nice replacement pad for the Quads as well, at least size wise.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin-leather-angled

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,264 of 2,255
So I asked the fellows from Dekoni for a pad that could fit the Quad and they suggested trying the M50x pads.
I have a set of these cans. If you want to, I can measure them, and check fitting etc?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #1,266 of 2,255
That would be so nice, you're the man Anatman:relaxed: I was ready to buy the Brainwavz pads, they're 1 cm taller and exactly the same width as the Quad earcups.
I fix tonight. 😊

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,267 of 2,255
That would be so nice
All pads in pictures are the stock ones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio, and The Beloved Ones as you see is the leather ones. All A to B are in mm, couldn't write the number there with my mouse, all measurement from where the red lines are (no red lines in thickness tho)... So I hope you will understand by the pictures.

The height is A=105mm, B=100mm. Thickness A=30mm, B=20mm The width is A=90mm, and B=84mm

Hope it make sense? Ask if there is something missing.

ma1.jpgma2.jpgma4.jpg

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,268 of 2,255
All pads in pictures are the stock ones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio, and The Beloved Ones as you see is the leather ones. All A to B are in mm, couldn't write the number there with my mouse, all measurement from where the red lines are (no red lines in thickness tho)... So I hope you will understand by the pictures.

The height is A=105mm, B=100mm. Thickness A=30mm, B=20mm The width is A=90mm, and B=84mm

Hope it make sense? Ask if there is something missing.

Many thanks :) those ATH stock pads seem a little small for the Quads, aren't they? The Brainwavz are a bit bigger (110x90mm) so they should fit since the leather is easy to stretch. They're 20€ so I'll give it a shot anyway

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,269 of 2,255
those ATH stock pads seem a little small for the Quads, aren't they?
Yes, they are stretchable in some degree, but the limits are near here I would say.

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,270 of 2,255
Take a look at the dekoni fenestrated sheep skin pads for the TH900 or similar.
While the oem leather pads of the Era-1 are clued to the platic ring, you've to unglue them first. Than you can strap the new pads over the ring, cut off the leather and simply clip them on the housing of the cups.

Should be the most suitable way not destroying the look of the Quads. 😊

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,271 of 2,255
Take a look at the dekoni fenestrated sheep skin pads for the TH900 or similar.
While the oem leather pads of the Era-1 are clued to the platic ring, you've to unglue them first. Than you can strap the new pads over the ring, cut off the leather and simply clip them on the housing of the cups.

Should be the most suitable way not destroying the look of the Quads. 😊
I was thinking of doing that! I might do that if the new pads transform the sound signature of the Quad the way I want it (smooth and transparent). If not I'll keep the stock pads intact because I will probably sell it eventually. Thanks for the TH900 suggestion. The only thing is that the inner part of those pads look a bit small (58mm versus 65mm for the stock pads) and I don't want to introduce any additional reflection. Let's see how the Brainwavz oval pads work in a few days...

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #1,272 of 2,255
While the oem leather pads of the Era-1 are clued to the platic ring, you've to unglue them first.

O ye of little faith, why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he glued the pads into a genius hamburger-style and beware of the winds and the sea; all the people raised their headsets over their deadheads, and there was a great calm! The birth of the head-fi-burger was now revealed for them all – and the search for something better than that, is of no meaning at all.

Just pointing out the obvious when reading your concern about de-gluing the stock pads. :L3000::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::sunglasses:

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,273 of 2,255
And since someone wants a comparison between Verum and Quad, I will take a go from my memories, cause I now are on the hamburgers all over an all-inclusive. I promise a proper comparison later when the cans have the stock pads on them. And remember, all statements about sound are deeply subjective - and perhaps especially now since I base this on memory only.

Verum is more transparent I think, they have a more open, voluminous and "flat" soundscape in a way, but they are also more intrusive in the whole midrange field, it can even be annoying at times when the music has a soundscape where the midst are emphasized and prominent.

Again the magic and mysterious x-component of the Quads arises, they are just much more entertaining, even almost similar midst and open soundscape as the Verum, they just have a more pleasant sound, without being coloured and "masked" with the "loudness-highs-bass"-tricks.

Both Verum and Quads have a well-defined bass, that goes deep. The Quads are performing better here I think, they have more defined, detailed (most notable when listen for example to all variations an acoustic bass or cello can produce) and "feelable" substance in the bass, and that substance/texture follows down to the very deep of the last roll off.

And, and, and – there is this, this… It is almost as if there is something that sounds “magical” with the Quads, the x-factor is just the indescribable, and exactly this x-factor, is the whole key and the "spot on point" here. And just the fact that this magic is indescribable, says it all for me. I mean they have something totally unique no other headset has, in a total magic way – I just don’t now what more to say.

They have a completely unique quality in really bringing out the best in ALLL KIND OF music you listen to, so simple and so ingenious. And what more than this do you need when listen to music?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,274 of 2,255
And since someone wants a comparison between Verum and Quad, I will take a go from my memories, cause I now are on the hamburgers all over an all-inclusive. I promise a proper comparison later when the cans have the stock pads on them. And remember, all statements about sound are deeply subjective - and perhaps especially now since I base this on memory only.

Verum is more transparent I think, they have a more open, voluminous and "flat" soundscape in a way, but they are also more intrusive in the whole midrange field, it can even be annoying at times when the music has a soundscape where the midst are emphasized and prominent.

Again the magic and mysterious x-component of the Quads arises, they are just much more entertaining, even almost similar midst and open soundscape as the Verum, they just have a more pleasant sound, without being coloured and "masked" with the "loudness-highs-bass"-tricks.

Both Verum and Quads have a well-defined bass, that goes deep. The Quads are performing better here I think, they have more defined, detailed (most notable when listen for example to all variations an acoustic bass or cello can produce) and "feelable" substance in the bass, and that substance/texture follows down to the very deep of the last roll off.

And, and, and – there is this, this… It is almost as if there is something that sounds “magical” with the Quads, the x-factor is just the indescribable, and exactly this x-factor, is the whole key and the "spot on point" here. And just the fact that this magic is indescribable, says it all for me. I mean they have something totally unique no other headset has, in a total magic way – I just don’t now what more to say.

They have a completely unique quality in really bringing out the best in ALLL KIND OF music you listen to, so simple and so ingenious. And what more than this do you need when listen to music?
Can't agree more.
From my memories, the Era-1 is, out of all of my autitioned headphone, the one that is/was the closest to a good pair of speakers.
Don't know what makes this so special to me, but the frequencies are all well placed in the spectrum when comparing with my Air-X407.
Sure, there're aspects a headphone can't do it like a good speaker setup, but the Quads are memorable in that regard.
There's nothing to add nor to take.

Of course my opinion, ymmv. :wink:

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,275 of 2,255
Of course my opinion, ymmv.
Your opinion is the reference in our world. In the early stages of the love of the Quads,

I read different reviews that I remember also highlighting the sound-x-perspective of these cans, no i can feel what they're talking about. And mentioning this make me want to go down the memory lane already tonight, as a kind of Saturdays-happy-camper activity. 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back