QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,246 of 2,255
Finally, I decided that I take the glue out of the glue, the two-component glue that glues everything known to man. So, this is the no return to the one set of velour-pads, they’re now eternally attached to the two components hamburger of love, this consists of a Beyerdynamic on the outside, and a Grado in the middle.

Due to mobbaddict, that I am totally agreed with in his belief that the pads should have leather on the outside, I chose this setup of three different pads. And after experiment with the Grados, I did left them as stock, because then they give the most of everything when not hazzled with.

I am just stunned, there is no more to say, the sound is unbelievable, I am totally blown away – not just because the crazy never-ending depth of the bass, but also how wonderful the midst and the tops are, It is just unbelievable, in that words deepest meaning.
20200929_222108 (2).jpg20200929_222125 (2).jpg

1.jpg
20200929_215636.jpg20200929_215647.jpg20200929_215704.jpg
Lol I have a hard time following your experimentations :beyersmile: that is the same set up you posted a few pages ago, right? Do you think those Beyer pads can be used directly on the Quad, without any other pads? They look like they could work nicely alone.

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,247 of 2,255
Lol I have a hard time following your experimentations :beyersmile: that is the same set up you posted a few pages ago, right? Do you think those Beyer pads can be used directly on the Quad, without any other pads? They look like they could work nicely alone.
Last question, I then think you mean by "without no other pads", that one of the stock pads-set are on the set? Let us say that, ok. But, first I went for the Frankenstein All Exclusive! The heaviest and most crazy of all setups. And yes to your question "without no other pads", I tested the Bayers leather+Quad leather, and the Bayer leather+Quad velour. It was really difficult to say if one was different to the other, but the leather+leather I think was the best. Have in mind that none of this experiment was with the glue that mankind never ever has glued before. Just clamping force onley.

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,248 of 2,255
Last question, I then think you mean by "without no other pads", that one of the stock pads-set are on the set? Let us say that, ok. But, first I went for the Frankenstein All Exclusive! The heaviest and most crazy of all setups. And yes to your question "without no other pads", I tested the Bayers leather+Quad leather, and the Bayer leather+Quad velour. It was really difficult to say if one was different to the other, but the leather+leather I think was the best. Have in mind that none of this experiment was with the glue that mankind never ever has glued before. Just clamping force onley.
The next few days, i got a little amount of time to make some tests by myself.
First will be
Quad->leather->pleather of the SEM5
Quad->leather->leather of the D7200

Same with the velour pads of the Quads.

Hopefully, i'll not drowning in the music to be able to judge the upcoming differences. :deadhorse:

You know it yourself, it's gonna be a tough ride. ^^

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,249 of 2,255
The next few days, i got a little amount of time to make some tests by myself.
First will be
Quad->leather->pleather of the SEM5
Quad->leather->leather of the D7200

Same with the velour pads of the Quads.

Hopefully, i'll not drowning in the music to be able to judge the upcoming differences. :deadhorse:

You know it yourself, it's gonna be a tough ride. ^^
I was seconds away from the deep, deep, deep hole. I was so tired in my hands also from as quickly as possible change sets etc. And, I already hate my test-songs... 😜

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,250 of 2,255
No I'm wondering if the Beyer pads alone would fit the Quad, without the stock pads. Maybe using tape to attach the Beyer pads to the Quad earcups. I can't really try that with my Sennheiser pads since they have some additional plastic part below.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,251 of 2,255
I have some other amps that I use with the Quads, but I'm a big fan of Burson amps. I owned the 3XR when it was released but recently sold in favor of the FA-10. I didn't get a chance to try the Quads with the 3XR before I sold it, but I'm sure it would've paired great with the Quads. The 3XR was great with all my headphones but it was missing a little something with my Susvara's that the FA-10 brings. But the Soloist seems to be something different and it's only amp. So I'm interested in it.

Thanks for your reply Slim.
I had a chat with someone from Burson and they feel that the new Soloist significantly outperforms the built in amp that is found in the 3XR. That's partly why I was very tempted to order one, but now the early bird special offer has passed, I have to say that the Flux amps seem like a better deal.

(From speaking with owners of both Burson products and Flux amps it seems like I will likely find both to be smooth and musical but the Flux will probably edge out the Burson in terms of resolution)

For my sound preferences, I am leaning towards the Flux FA-12. I think the FA-10's power will go to waste on my QUAD's whilst the FA-12's fully balanced design will bring more layering and separation.

Would love to know what amps people are finding work well with the QUAD's. I found they really came to life on my hybrid tube amp.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,252 of 2,255
No I'm wondering if the Beyer pads alone would fit the Quad, without the stock pads. Maybe using tape to attach the Beyer pads to the Quad earcups. I can't really try that with my Sennheiser pads since they have some additional plastic part below.
Sweet power of love! Dear mobbaddict, I hope you can take it to the make it! But those damn "cactus-fittings", I don't know... 😜

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,253 of 2,255
Thanks for your reply Slim.
I had a chat with someone from Burson and they feel that the new Soloist significantly outperforms the built in amp that is found in the 3XR. That's partly why I was very tempted to order one, but now the early bird special offer has passed, I have to say that the Flux amps seem like a better deal.

(From speaking with owners of both Burson products and Flux amps it seems like I will likely find both to be smooth and musical but the Flux will probably edge out the Burson in terms of resolution)

For my sound preferences, I am leaning towards the Flux FA-12. I think the FA-10's power will go to waste on my QUAD's whilst the FA-12's fully balanced design will bring more layering and separation.

Would love to know what amps people are finding work well with the QUAD's. I found they really came to life on my hybrid tube amp.
The FA-10 powers them effortlessly. I use low gain and it‘s the most musical amp I’ve heard them on so far. I’ve listened to them on my TT2, Hugo2, and straight out of the RME ADi-2 FS as well. The FA-10 amp section bests them all to my ears. Straight out of the RME with PEQ adjustments is second in my opinion. Followed up by the TT2, then Hugo 2.

Don’t get me wrong, the Chord offerings work very well with the Quad’s especially the TT2. I didn’t pick the TT2 first because of budgetary reasons. You don’t have to spend and exuberant amount of money to get the best out of the Quad’s. The Flux offerings are a tremendous valve and cost versus performance are hard to beat. The FA-10 can drive anything. The FA-12 would’ve been my choice since it’s fully balanced if I didn’t have the Susvara’s or TC’s. It just doesn’t have the power to drive those two headphones. It should perform great with the Quad’s on the other hand.

With that said, I still want to get a listen to the Burson Soloist 3XP

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #1,254 of 2,255
This is a bit off-topic, but now the Verums have (almost, except the inner pads) the same tunnel of love as the beloved Quads.

20201001_073956.jpg20201001_074034.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,256 of 2,255
Would you care to give your impressions about the Quad versus the Verum? I think you're one of the only guys here to have both :)
I will - must have a break cause my arms hurts in the mind of all testing when choosing pads for both this sets. One pad, two pad, leather here or there, what about..., you can image. :muscle: :robot: :innocent:

Give me a day or two, then it will be done. :flag_no::beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,257 of 2,255
I will - must have a break cause my arms hurts in the mind of all testing when choosing pads for both this sets. One pad, two pad, leather here or there, what about..., you can image. :muscle: :robot: :innocent:

Give me a day or two, then it will be done. :flag_no::beerchug:
Haha yes of course! Maybe your impressions of both cans using stock leather pads will be most useful.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,258 of 2,255
Haha yes of course! Maybe your impressions of both cans using stock leather pads will be most useful.
I second that.
Very curious to hear how they differ. :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #1,259 of 2,255
I second that.
Very curious to hear how they differ. :)
Of ****ing course you both will hear the compare with the stock pads! Aaaaayauay! Beware! The Verums have a metallic flat ring that I have to thoroughly take out, then insert stock pads, and THEN AGAIN that process for the second time! Huh? What about the comparison with the lovehamburgers? Ah, OK? They are the unspeakable! 😱🥶🤯😎😜😂😂😂

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,260 of 2,255
Of ****ing course you wil hers the compare with the stock pads! Aaaaayauay! Beware! The Verums have a metallic flat ring that I have to thoroughly take out, then insert stock pads, and THEN AGAIN that process for the second time! Huh? What about the comparison with the lovehamburgers? Ah, OK? They are the unspeakable! 😱🥶🤯😎😜😂😂😂
I think you are the only person in the world using the hamburger pads and I admire you for that :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back