QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,276 of 2,247
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,277 of 2,247
And since someone wants a comparison between Verum and Quad, I will take a go from my memories, cause I now are on the hamburgers all over an all-inclusive. I promise a proper comparison later when the cans have the stock pads on them. And remember, all statements about sound are deeply subjective - and perhaps especially now since I base this on memory only.

Verum is more transparent I think, they have a more open, voluminous and "flat" soundscape in a way, but they are also more intrusive in the whole midrange field, it can even be annoying at times when the music has a soundscape where the midst are emphasized and prominent.

Again the magic and mysterious x-component of the Quads arises, they are just much more entertaining, even almost similar midst and open soundscape as the Verum, they just have a more pleasant sound, without being coloured and "masked" with the "loudness-highs-bass"-tricks.

Both Verum and Quads have a well-defined bass, that goes deep. The Quads are performing better here I think, they have more defined, detailed (most notable when listen for example to all variations an acoustic bass or cello can produce) and "feelable" substance in the bass, and that substance/texture follows down to the very deep of the last roll off.

And, and, and – there is this, this… It is almost as if there is something that sounds “magical” with the Quads, the x-factor is just the indescribable, and exactly this x-factor, is the whole key and the "spot on point" here. And just the fact that this magic is indescribable, says it all for me. I mean they have something totally unique no other headset has, in a total magic way – I just don’t now what more to say.

They have a completely unique quality in really bringing out the best in ALLL KIND OF music you listen to, so simple and so ingenious. And what more than this do you need when listen to music?
Thanks you you did a good job of comparing those two :) It makes me a curious about the Verum (mainly for its transparency) but the things you say about its intrusive midrange put me off a little bit as well.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,278 of 2,247
I just have to say that the hamburger I made fore the Quads is so incredibly good that I just has to say it again. It's slammm, shhmakk, incredibly good treble, upper midrange, midrange, and when it goes down to infinite bass, with a subtle defined nuance, a fullbody powerful joy of real bass, that feels in the whole body and head, which never seems to roll off!

I'm completely put out! I have never in my life heard anything that can even com near to this crazy wired world of experiments! Those who have pads lying around must try this! it's fully possible to try without gluing. Try, you will be shocked!

Ham1.jpgHam3.jpgHam2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,279 of 2,247
I have received my Brainwavz hamburger pads for the Quad! Well they're more like a happy meal compared to your Big Mac @Anatman

Here they are sitting with the HD600, which has similar fenestrated leather pads from Dekoni.
PXL_20201006_224525128.jpg

So first the bad news: there's no way I can make them fit the Quad without reusing the plastic part from the stock pads, because they're smaller than I thought! I should have picked the XL round pads that are much wider as Chris suggested. I might do that later because the good news is that I like what I hear!

I didn't expect such a big difference in the top end. The Quad is now a much darker headphone than with either the stock velour or the leather pads. Gone is the bright top end, the focus is now on the bass and the full bodied midrange. The difference is even more spectacular than when I switched to the Dekoni pads on the HD600, and I like both headphones much more this way.

On top of that the bass is rumbling like crazy now, there's no comparison with the velour pads that sound thin in comparison. I think the transparency is not optimal because there is an additional foam layer that comes attached with the pads, but the sound is still quite clean and sharp overall, no complaint here.

In direct comparison with the HD600 which is a bit my benchmark tool at the moment, the Quad has a very similar tonal balance with much deeper bass and a livelier midrange that has a lot more presence and never feels hollow at all. Yes I said it, the midrange is better! At least on my setup (Fiio K5 pro). I think this says a lot about how well the drivers are tuned on the Quad once you find the proper pads.

These are early impressions so take it with a pinch of salt I'm definitely keeping those pads on the Quad and probably upgrading to the XL round version shortly to have a better fit.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,280 of 2,247
I have received my Brainwavz hamburger pads for the Quad! Well they're more like a happy meal compared to your Big Mac @Anatman

Here they are sitting with the HD600, which has similar fenestrated leather pads from Dekoni.
PXL_20201006_224525128.jpg

So first the bad news: there's no way I can make them fit the Quad without reusing the plastic part from the stock pads, because they're smaller than I thought! I should have picked the XL round pads that are much wider as Chris suggested. I might do that later because the good news is that I like what I hear!

I didn't expect such a big difference in the top end. The Quad is now a much darker headphone than with either the stock velour or the leather pads. Gone is the bright top end, the focus is now on the bass and the full bodied midrange. The difference is even more spectacular than when I switched to the Dekoni pads on the HD600, and I like both headphones much more this way.

On top of that the bass is rumbling like crazy now, there's no comparison with the velour pads that sound thin in comparison. I think the transparency is not optimal because there is an additional foam layer that comes attached with the pads, but the sound is still quite clean and sharp overall, no complaint here.

In direct comparison with the HD600 which is a bit my benchmark tool at the moment, the Quad has a very similar tonal balance with much deeper bass and a livelier midrange that has a lot more presence and never feels hollow at all. Yes I said it, the midrange is better! At least on my setup (Fiio K5 pro). I think this says a lot about how well the drivers are tuned on the Quad once you find the proper pads.

These are early impressions so take it with a pinch of salt I'm definitely keeping those pads on the Quad and probably upgrading to the XL round version shortly to have a better fit.
I think it is exiting to read about your experience here! All over you really are satisfied with the sounding I see!

I'd tried to make the tunnel of love with my HD58xJubilee, but oh my god! The sound was awful! I was really surprised how different the hamburger of love can sound from a set to another. I also have to say that I don't like the Sennheisers anyway, so their hedding back to the dark where they live a shameful life... 😜

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,281 of 2,247
I think it is exiting to read about your experience here! All over you really are satisfied with the sounding I see!

I'd tried to make the tunnel of love with my HD58xJubilee, but oh my god! The sound was awful! I was really surprised how different the hamburger of love can sound from a set to another. I also have to say that I don't like the Sennheisers anyway, so their hedding back to the dark where they live a shameful life... 😜
A shameful life, you're funny man :smile:

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,283 of 2,247
Up for some big changes here..

Sold all my schiit stuff. I wanted to upgrade from Jotunheim / Modius, was thinking Bifrost2/Lyr3 or even Bifrost2/Mjolnir.. But the schiit-europe distributor is frustrating as h***, has absolutely zero stock for over six months now, gives no information about restocking, I mean.. It even says on their homepage that you are not allowed to ask... That is sooooo bad for business ( my very personal opinion, of course ).. Kind of sad to be schiit-less, but hey, my choices follow their choices..

Turning a new leaf now, awaiting a Quad Vena II Play, an integrated amp, headphone amp end wireless streamer all-in-one.. Also awaiting a pair of Elac Debut 5.2 speakers to use with the Quad amp.

The biggest question of course is how my Quad ERA-1 will sound on a Quad Vena II Play.. That should not go wrong, right ? Quad on Quad...

In the meantime ( only the next few days, I hope..) I am using an older Darkvoice 336 tube amp. Had it modded recently.. 6SN7 and 6080 tubes. Not perfect, now using my PC's analog out and some really flimsy wiring because there is no seperate DAC.. Bass is lacking, but otherwise... Yummie...

Keep you posted..

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,284 of 2,247
Up for some big changes here..

Sold all my schiit stuff. I wanted to upgrade from Jotunheim / Modius, was thinking Bifrost2/Lyr3 or even Bifrost2/Mjolnir.. But the schiit-europe distributor is frustrating as h***, has absolutely zero stock for over six months now, gives no information about restocking, I mean.. It even says on their homepage that you are not allowed to ask... That is sooooo bad for business ( my very personal opinion, of course ).. Kind of sad to be schiit-less, but hey, my choices follow their choices..

Turning a new leaf now however awaiting a Quad Vena II Play, an integrated amp, headphone amp end wireless streamer all-in-one.. Also awaiting a pair of Elac Debut 5.2 speakers to use with the Quad amp.

The biggest question of course is how my Quad ERA-1 will sound on a Quad Vena !! Play.. That should not go wrong, right ? Quad on Quad...

In the meantime ( only the next few days, I hope..) I am using an older Darkvoice 336 tube amp. Had it modded recently.. 6SN7 and 6080 tubes. Not perfect, now using my PC's analog out and some really flimsy wiring because there is no seperate DAC.. Bass is lacking, but otherwise... Yummie...

Keep you posted..

I am using the quad Vena 11. I love it, I'd say you'll be impressed. Although it's the only amp I've ran my era-1 thru so can't compare to how it sounds thru others.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,285 of 2,247
I am using the quad Vena 11
I have been circling around that one for a while. The HiFi-freaks has it for sale for 7400NOK, normal price is 9500NOK. 100NOK is similar to 10£. I have now Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, and wonder if its worth it to upgrade. Anyone that have any experience?

I have also been looking at a QUAD PA-ONE+, witch is also on sale at the Freaks. It now cost 12000NOK, against normal price in Norway that is 15000NOK.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,286 of 2,247
Seriously looking to pick up a set of these.

Do they pair well with a Moly+Poly? I mostly use my Focal Elegia’s and as much as i love them, they do get fatiguing both from their sound and high clamping force.

I’m looking for something open back that still has detail similar to my Elegia’s but are a bit more laid back that i can use all day (i work from home). I want something with slightly more bass presence, these sound like they are just what I’m looking for.

Can anyone compare how these sound to the Elegia’s?

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,287 of 2,247
Seriously looking to pick up a set of these.

Do they pair well with a Moly+Poly? I mostly use my Focal Elegia’s and as much as i love them, they do get fatiguing both from their sound and high clamping force.

I’m looking for something open back that still has detail similar to my Elegia’s but are a bit more laid back that i can use all day (i work from home). I want something with slightly more bass presence, these sound like they are just what I’m looking for.

The Quads are much better than the Elegia's to my ears. They are smoother, less peaky, better bass and more musical. I might add that they sound a lot better with a silver cable. Details improve and so does overall clarity. Bass response is more taunt and the midrange is clearer, cleaner. I've sense moved on from my Elegia's. Not that they are bad headphones, just not for me.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,288 of 2,247

Maybe its just my personal perception or the gear I use, but I find the Elegia scale very well with the DAC/amp you pair them with and that also affects the bass pressence in particular.
I dont know the Moly+Poly combo, but with my Violectric v281 (and even my RME/Erish combo) my Elegia surpasses the Era-1 in that regard in direct comparison by a good amount. The Quad might have slightly more detail and balance tho. With the 2 different pad options of the Era-1 you can tweak the sound to your liking to some extend: with the velour pad the tuning resembles the Elegia, with the leather pads you get a more defined and more laid back sound.
Regarding the clamping force I don't have any issue with both of them, but the Era-1 might be a bit less clampy. Overall I personally slighly prefer the Elegia over the Quads.
Since you use different DAC and amp you might get different results and you should definitely try the Quads with your system.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #1,289 of 2,247
One thing with the Elegia’s is that i find i always want to turn the volume up, i love them when they’re cranked up but I don’t realise when i go too far and my ears are ringing after i take them off.

If the Quads are smoother and lets peaky then i hope that I wouldn’t feel that urge to keep hitting that volume up button.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,290 of 2,247
One thing with the Elegia’s is that i find i always want to turn the volume up, i love them when they’re cranked up but I don’t realise when i go too far and my ears are ringing after i take them off.

If the Quads are smoother and lets peaky then i hope that I wouldn’t feel that urge to keep hitting that volume up button.
Can't speak for your listening habits, but i for my never got the feeling to crank them up for listening pleasure.
Due the fact everyone has its own hearing and different audio chains, it's hard to agree or decline, i think.
Have fun with whatever you got and keep listening. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back