QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,066 of 2,268
Nice to hear your problem is solved. Did you contact hififreaks or Quad themselves?

I emailed both, Rob Flain at Quad, and Allen at HiFi-freaks - Rob told me to contact the freaks, cause I bought them there.

HiFi-freaks has been fantastic in this process. At first, they're really was caring about the fact that they had defects, second, they had kept me updated all the time when new replacements were in stock. As soon they arrived in stock, they sent them to me.

So now I listen to a set flawless can, yes - they're going to mature, to bloom in full potential both on an in my head, then we will become one... :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,067 of 2,268
I emailed both, Rob Flain at Quad, and Allen at HiFi-freaks - Rob told me to contact the freaks, cause I bought them there.

HiFi-freaks has been fantastic in this prosess. At first they're really was caring about the fact that they had defects, second they hav kept me update all the time when new replacements where in stock. As soon they're they arrives in stock, they send them.

So now i listen to a set flawless cans, yes - they're going to mature, to bloom in full potensial both on an in my head, then we will become one... :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Did Quad tell you what might have happened with the older set? Dust in the driver maybe like an electrostat?

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,068 of 2,268
Did Quad tell you what might have happened with the older set? Dust in the driver maybe like an electrostat?

No, I didn't get in the details with that Rob, first, he seems not interested at all, then I think just to get rid of me/the problem, he was also referring to a Norwegian workshop that he had a "very good experience, etc etc". The leader at the workshop just shook his head and said that that was a misunderstanding, and when I told the Rob-fellow about that, he didn't even comment on it, maybe cause I also then said I had an ongoing and very good dialog with the freaks.

EDIT: But it had been really nice to know what caused this brrrrrrr-sound in low frequencies, really!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,069 of 2,268
But it had been really nice to know what caused this brrrrrrr-sound in low frequencies, really!

Every time I hear a strange sound in a song or a youtube clip, I immediately go back to see if it's in there at the same time.. Always relieved when it is..

So, thanks 😂

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,070 of 2,268
Every time I hear a strange sound in a song or a youtube clip, I immediately go back to see if it's in there at the same time.. Always relieved when it is..

So, thanks 😂

Yeah, I'm deep into that my self, and, those holy makers of holy "directly-into-the-holy-ear-that-can-hear-those-sounds-that-domestic-earthly-ears-can't-hear", should really appreciate our holy ears!

It's our ears that are co-creators of all those high-end headphones, and I wonder when we'll be sent all new-made headphones from 300 USD and over, free of any charge home to us? When? Hmm... 😜

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,072 of 2,268
Every cable that fits, i guess.
I use a FAW Noir Hybrid MK2 (4x copper, 4x silver ), sounds a bit different to me compared to the oem cable.
Could be the material or the balanced connection to my fully balanced dac/amp.
But my FAW Claire Hybrid ( 4x Copper, 4x silver ), i use with my V30, sounds different too.

20200107_190925.jpg

20190908_152010.jpg

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #1,073 of 2,268
Wasn't there something about the 3.5mm plugs that is different?
I think I read that you can not use just every cable because Quad uses the tip and ring as live and the sleeve as ground ? Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,074 of 2,268
Wasn't there something about the 3.5mm plugs that is different?
I think I read that you can not use just every cable because Quad uses the tip and ring as live and the sleeve as ground ? Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Yes, you're right.
Wrote this a while ago.
The wiring is a bit different than the T1.2.
Tip and ring on the Era is "+" on each side.:beerchug::thumbsup:

That's why i've said "every that fits". ^^

On my SEM5, while having 3.5 too, tip is +, ring is - and sleeve is unused. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,075 of 2,268
Every cable that fits, i guess.
I use a FAW Noir Hybrid MK2 (4x copper, 4x silver ), sounds a bit different to me compared to the oem cable.
Could be the material or the balanced connection to my fully balanced dac/amp.
But my FAW Claire Hybrid ( 4x Copper, 4x silver ), i use with my V30, sounds different too.

20200107_190925.jpg
20190908_152010.jpg
Do you mean sounds different in a good way? Can you describe some of the sound differences you’re hearing between the Forza Noir Hybrid and stock cable, thanks?

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,076 of 2,268
Yes, a good way, always.

As i said, that wouldn't be a fair comparison bc of the balanced vs se cable.
The A-GD is mainly build to use balanced connection, so you'll have a slightly lower sound quality out of the 6.3mm se output, despite the rough power out of the xlr. :wink:

Well, by comparing the 3.5 Claire Hybrid with the stock cable, the mids are not as forward as with the stock cable.
And that's a good move, imo.
It's like a wired eq to the Quads. ^^

With the XLR Noir Hybrid, the Era-1 has more rumble without losing anything of it's sound signature with the Claire Hybrid.

For me, it's hard to describe the differences bc i am still lost in the music rather than focusing on several single aspects. :smile: ^^

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,078 of 2,268
Mine arrived today and they are awesome sounding. The stock cable is quite good. I switched it with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and stock cable had more bass energy minor detail loss in comparison. The Silver Dragon did improve dynamics with a slight lose of sub bass extension. Now I'm curious to see if the Noir Hybrid HPC would be the perfect pairing for the Quads. I like what the silver brings to the table and the copper should maintain bass punch.

IMG_0507.jpg

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,079 of 2,268
Mine arrived today and they are awesome sounding. The stock cable is quite good. I switched it with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and stock cable had more bass energy minor detail loss in comparison. The Silver Dragon did improve dynamics with a slight lose of sub bass extension. Now I'm curious to see if the Noir Hybrid HPC would be the perfect pairing for the Quads. I like what the silver brings to the table and the copper should maintain bass punch.

You will have to tell us how they compare with the rest of your little collection :wink:

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,080 of 2,268
You will have to tell us how they compare with the rest of your little collection :wink:

Yeah - it will be really exciting to hear your comparison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back