QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,081 of 2,247
I am comparing my Quads to Verum One these days, even if I really like the Verums, the Quad is just much more "MORE" of it all? Don't know how to put it...

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,082 of 2,247
You will have to tell us how they compare with the rest of your little collection :wink:
Oh boy, that can be a tall task. So far I’m finding the bass to be outstanding on the Quads. The sub bass on these are insane in quantity and quality. It’s just as big sounding as the Z1R’s which has some of the best bass I’ve heard on a headphone. The Quads might have more bass extension. It rumbles down low like my HEKse’s. That’s already very good company to be mentioned with as the Quads cost a fraction of these two headphones.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,083 of 2,247
Oh boy, that can be a tall task. So far I’m finding the bass to be outstanding on the Quads. The sub bass on these are insane in quantity and quality. It’s just as big sounding as the Z1R’s which has some of the best bass I’ve heard on a headphone. The Quads might have more bass extension. It rumbles down low like my HEKse’s. That’s already very good company to be mentioned with as the Quads cost a fraction of these two headphones.
Do you think the Quad belongs to the top tier planars in terms of speed and resolution?

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,084 of 2,247
Do you think the Quad belongs to the top tier planars in terms of speed and resolution?
The Quads fall short when it comes to those two attributes compared to the best out there in those categories. The Diana Phi‘s are much faster and much more resolving. The Susvara’s have estat like speed and resolution. The HEKse’s are right behind the Susvara’s when it comes to speed, resolution and detail delivery. The Quad’s sounds like an upper mid tier headphone when placed up against those headphones. The Quads definitely outclass a good number of headphones in and around their price point though.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,085 of 2,247
The Quads fall short when it comes to those two attributes compared to the best out there in those categories. The Diana Phi‘s are much faster and much more resolving. The Susvara’s have estat like speed and resolution. The HEKse’s are right behind the Susvara’s when it comes to speed, resolution and detail delivery. The Quad’s sounds like an upper mid tier headphone when placed up against those headphones. The Quads definitely outclass a good number of headphones in and around their price point though.
Thanks, that's what I thought based on distant memories.

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,087 of 2,247
@Slim1970 Btw, you DAC and AMP you are using with Quads?
I’m listening to them with the Chord TT2 at the moment and it’s a superb pairing. The RME ADi-2 FS is just as good with them and might be preferable. I setup a PEQ profile for them and the Quads sound even better. I also enjoy them with my Liquid Platinum with Hugo 2 as the DAC. They sound so full bodied and detailed with combo. Especially with the upgrades I have on the LP.

With that said, I think they sound the best with solid state gear rather than tubes. They need the control that solid state amps have on its drivers to get them most out of them. I would like to get a balanced cable for them. What is everyone using as an upgrade cable option? I’m not sure rather to go with an all silver or all copper cable. But I’m interested in know what other head-fiers are using.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,089 of 2,247
I’m listening to them with the Chord TT2 at the moment and it’s a superb pairing. The RME ADi-2 FS is just as good with them and might be preferable. I setup a PEQ profile for them and the Quads sound even better. I also enjoy them with my Liquid Platinum with Hugo 2 as the DAC. They sound so full bodied and detailed with combo. Especially with the upgrades I have on the LP.

With that said, I think they sound the best with solid state gear rather than tubes. They need the control that solid state amps have on its drivers to get them most out of them. I would like to get a balanced cable for them. What is everyone using as an upgrade cable option? I’m not sure rather to go with an all silver or all copper cable. But I’m interested in know what other head-fiers are using.
I'm with the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC . Its a 4x silver and 4x copper cable. Awesome work from @Matez and my highest recommendation for the Quads. :)
You don't need an eq anymore with. :wink:

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,090 of 2,247
@Slim1970 All silver will make them brighter with better microdetails, airy. Silver coated copper could be nice option, with for example rhodium coated plug.
Thanks, I do like the LQi silver plated cables. They sound great with my LCD-XC’s when I had it.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,091 of 2,247
I'm with the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC . Its a 4x silver and 4x copper cable. Awesome work from @Matez and my highest recommendation for the Quads. :)
You don't need an eq anymore with. :wink:
I was thinking that this would be a good match for the Quads. I have one on my LCD-XC’s and it’s a great match for that headphone.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,092 of 2,247
Wow, all these comparings, I'm now ready to buy a used set of Hifiman Ananda, I have also ordered a second set of the Era-1.

I'm in doubt, can anyone here, who had compeared those two mentioned cans, give me some reasons to NOT give up on the Anandas? Will it be better in any way, to also buy the Anandas?

Edit: Don't matter, I will not buy the Ananda. :ksc75smile:

Attachments

• ANANDA.jpg
    ANANDA.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,093 of 2,247
I'm now up to about 100 hours with the quads. I've been using only the leather pads and I thought I was complete. Just sounds so good.

I was thinking last night that with the leather pads being quite big/thick, they were pushing into my head. Wasn't sore but was getting heavy going wearing them. I've got dekoni nuggets under the head band cause of my pea head but my sides are wide. Not quite stewie Griffin but that idea ha.

I like a bit of bass and all comments point towards these being the basier of the two supplied.

I thought I'd give the other ones a go tonight. Velour is it? Well, anyway these are really comfy for me and that sound. It's just so good. Vocals are amazingly clear, there is just enough bass and each instrument seems spaced out a bit wider. It's not a massive difference but noticeable. How can two slightly different pads on the same head set do this?

I've also noticed that my vinyl has to be tip top condition through these cans to get the best from them. Old and worn vinyl is better left for the speakers.

It's taken me ages to write this because I keep stopping to savour the tunes 😁🤘

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,094 of 2,247
I'm now up to about 100 hours with the quads. I've been using only the leather pads and I thought I was complete. Just sounds so good.

I was thinking last night that with the leather pads being quite big/thick, they were pushing into my head. Wasn't sore but was getting heavy going wearing them. I've got dekoni nuggets under the head band cause of my pea head but my sides are wide. Not quite stewie Griffin but that idea ha.

I like a bit of bass and all comments point towards these being the basier of the two supplied.

I thought I'd give the other ones a go tonight. Velour is it? Well, anyway these are really comfy for me and that sound. It's just so good. Vocals are amazingly clear, there is just enough bass and each instrument seems spaced out a bit wider. It's not a massive difference but noticeable. How can two slightly different pads on the same head set do this?

I've also noticed that my vinyl has to be tip top condition through these cans to get the best from them. Old and worn vinyl is better left for the speakers.

It's taken me ages to write this because I keep stopping to savour the tunes 😁🤘
Yup I think leather + thicker pads usually add presence and slight boominess to the bass. Last time I checked I was missing some lower midrange presence with the velour pads. But they do sound super clean and sharp. It's a trade-off I guess.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,095 of 2,247
Yup I think leather + thicker pads usually add presence and slight boominess to the bass. Last time I checked I was missing some lower midrange presence with the velour pads. But they do sound super clean and sharp. It's a trade-off I guess.
I'm a bit jealous you're able to use the velour pads. :sunglasses:
Can't stand with longer than a few minutes because of their size/ the size of my ears. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back