QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 13, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,037 of 2,273
No I've never indulged in a headphone amp so far... I have an LG V30 which should be able to handle them though, at least until I get a feel for their sound quality, and then maybe I'll think about adding an amp.
This should give you a good glimpse of what the Quad is capable. Just keep in mind their transients might improve with better amping.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,038 of 2,273
Lol I tried the Quad straight out my new pixel 3a and it doesn't sound as muddy as I remember the iPhone did... Actually I think I prefer it to my fiio k5 pro which tries too hard to make the Quad sound like an electrostat with a somewhat unnatural timbre and ethereal image. It makes me wonder if we really need that much power for this headphone... I might as well sell everything and just keep the Quad with my smartphone.

I also tested treble sine sweeps for our friend @Pinkus and I can hear a strong signal until 10khz, then a progressive roll off until 15khz. I can't hear anything after 15khz. This is very similar to what I hear on the Stax SR007. So nothing too bad.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,039 of 2,273
Nice.
But I prefer the Quads with some (real) meat to the bones. :L3000:
On the other hand, I could be that the R2R dac on my R28 (balanced output) change the sound to my pleasure compared to the ESS dacs on the V30 and Btr5. :wink:
For a more (to me) neutral sound with a higher articulation on the highs, I have the SEM5 on hand.
But for my musical enjoyment, I always do pick the Quad, period.

Will heading for a cheap 2.5 balanced cable to try the Quads on the Btr5 seriously, bc the 3.5 se output on the Btr5 is known for its weakness.
The great 2.5 cable delivered with the SEM5 sadly has a different wiring on the headphone side and doesn't support the Era-1. :frowning2:

I hope for a cheap one for testing purposes.
Era-1 has Tip and Ring for positive on each side.
A cable with tip or ring positive and sleeve negative will suit also. (like a T1 cable)
Maybe someone can point me to the right direction. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #1,040 of 2,273
Lol I tried the Quad straight out my new pixel 3a and it doesn't sound as muddy as I remember the iPhone did... Actually I think I prefer it to my fiio k5 pro which tries too hard to make the Quad sound like an electrostat with a somewhat unnatural timbre and ethereal image. It makes me wonder if we really need that much power for this headphone... I might as well sell everything and just keep the Quad with my smartphone.

I also tested treble sine sweeps for our friend @Pinkus and I can hear a strong signal until 10khz, then a progressive roll off until 15khz. I can't hear anything after 15khz. This is very similar to what I hear on the Stax SR007. So nothing too bad.

Thanks @mobbaddict . Bit of a strange situation with the delivery, when I check my delivery status it says 'delivered and received' but then late yesterday evening I got an email from ebay saying they were being held at customs for 'possible prohibited item'. Then at 2 in the morning (??) got another email saying they'd cleared customs and are on their way.
Don't mind the wait but any time there's a SNAFU with delivery I get very nervous, I live in a rural area and delivery folk can sometimes get a bit lazy.

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,041 of 2,273
Hey guys, did someone got the opportunity to pair the Quad with the iFi Pro iCan?
I'm very intrigued by this amp and going to connect it to my R28. :ksc75smile:
Especially since i'll be able to drive nearlyall headphones and connect my active speakers with.

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,042 of 2,273
Hey guys, did someone got the opportunity to pair the Quad with the iFi Pro iCan?
I'm very intrigued by this amp and going to connect it to my R28. :ksc75smile:
Especially since i'll be able to drive nearlyall headphones and connect my active speakers with.

I'd also like to know how they'd pair with a tube/hybrid amp such as the Xduoo TA-10!

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,043 of 2,273
Thanks @mobbaddict . Bit of a strange situation with the delivery, when I check my delivery status it says 'delivered and received' but then late yesterday evening I got an email from ebay saying they were being held at customs for 'possible prohibited item'. Then at 2 in the morning (??) got another email saying they'd cleared customs and are on their way.
Don't mind the wait but any time there's a SNAFU with delivery I get very nervous, I live in a rural area and delivery folk can sometimes get a bit lazy.
I know what it is. Even here in Paris post often makes mistakes, I got my Quad delivered at the reception of my building, just in front of the doorkeeper. Any of my neighbors could have stolen it :grimacing: i hope it will go smoothly for you.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,044 of 2,273
Thanks @mobbaddict .

OMG, I'm feeling like the kid in the back seat..

Are we there yet

Are we there yet..

Are we there yet..

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #1,045 of 2,273
OMG, I'm feeling like the kid in the back seat..

Are we there yet

Are we there yet..

Are we there yet..

I feel your pain :L3000:

I had the pleasure of hearing this combo at one show (good old days when we actually attend these...) and I enjoyed it, especially in solid-state mode.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #1,046 of 2,273

Any news yet ?

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,047 of 2,273
Any news yet ?

Yeah I got them...a bit wary of posting early impressions and want to wait and get accustomed to them. However...

The only thing i have noticed that could be an issue, is a slight "pinging" in my right headphone, a metallic "ping" sound as if something is clicking against the cup.

I'm getting this too and it's doing my head in. Slightest head movement causes it. Maybe it'll settle down with use?

It's like there's tension on the right ear-piece or something, but moving it around or loosening the clamp doesn't help.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,048 of 2,273
Yeah I got them...a bit wary of posting early impressions and want to wait and get accustomed to them. However...

I'm getting this too and it's doing my head in. Slightest head movement causes it. Maybe it'll settle down with use?

It's like there's tension on the right ear-piece or something, but moving it around or loosening the clamp doesn't help.

On man, so sorry to hear that.. I have been using them for a couple of weeks now, an I am so glad I don't hear anything apart from the music.. (Yet, yikes)
I am bummed by your experience.

Have you tried switching the cable around ( See if the problem changes sides ) ?

Good luck, whatever the outcome.

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,049 of 2,273

Nooooo.
Hope it'll fix itself.
This "problem" didn't show up very often, but it did.

Mine is still working flawless for over 1 year now.

All the best.
Chris

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,050 of 2,273
On man, so sorry to hear that.. I have been using them for a couple of weeks now, an I am so glad I don't hear anything apart from the music.. (Yet, yikes)
I am bummed by your experience.

Have you tried switching the cable around ( See if the problem changes sides ) ?

Good luck, whatever the outcome.

Yeah tried switching the cable, no change. It's sort of a creaking sound, it's incredibly distracting - definitely feels like it's external, probably some hinge somewhere on the clamp-adjuster (I'm not very technical). Anyway have the warranty so might get in touch with Quad if it keeps up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back