QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,006 of 2,270
I would say treble is actually one of the strengths of the Quad. I also have an old version of the Stax Lambdas which excel at treble and the Quad compares very well. It has a good energy/extension in the top end without ever being aggressive like dynamics can be sometimes. The only thing is that it's not 100% open like the Stax or like my HD600, it sounds more like a semi open headphone. It doesn't mean that it sounds closed in or anything, but you still get the feeling of having a headphone on your head and being isolated from the outside environnement. Which can be enjoyable depending on the perspective.

I'm not sure about ambient but for anything like trance, dance, etc, the Quad is crazy good with its combination of deep bass, sharp treble and speed.

Thanks, this is really encouraging. I listen to a lot of dance music as well.

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #1,007 of 2,270
...the Quad is crazy good with its combination of deep bass, sharp treble and speed.

I can emphasise every word you write here "mobbaddict"! And at the same time they creates a heavenly feeling of softness - paradoxically enough a softness that is still precise, fast and open, slamming, vibrant and hard-hitting, and also an very important detalj - that without for example, the bass, bleeding out between other frequencies - all frequencies are heavenly separate.
The ERA-1 have a kind of indescribable character - which I simply love - and they're still growing on me! :gs1000smile::L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,008 of 2,270
Thanks, this is really encouraging. I listen to a lot of dance music as well.
I think it is yes. The only issue would be if you expect a super open soundstage with a more forward treble, a la HD800. I think the Quad is pretty well balanced overall so the treble range doesn't overcome midrange and bass.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,009 of 2,270
I think it is yes. The only issue would be if you expect a super open soundstage with a more forward treble, a la HD800. I think the Quad is pretty well balanced overall so the treble range doesn't overcome midrange and bass.

Well this is the thing...I'm still working things out and it feels like a bit of a balancing act. I know that I'm sensitive to certain areas of treble frequency (say around 6k?)(and this is very dependent on the recording or the genre of music). I think my current headphones (P7) are good for that, in that they're not harsh in any way (unless it's a really harsh recording). But it's up above near 10k and above where I feel like there's no openness. I think it's most evident with ambient or drone music or minimal soundtrack music, it sounds very dull and closed in. I think HD800 would be much too bright for me, but I've never tested it out so I can't say for sure.
I used to think 'dark' headphones were for me, but no clearly not.

It does seem like I haven't got much to lose by at least trying these out, anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,010 of 2,270
Well this is the thing...I'm still working things out and it feels like a bit of a balancing act. I know that I'm sensitive to certain areas of treble frequency (say around 6k?)(and this is very dependent on the recording or the genre of music). I think my current headphones (P7) are good for that, in that they're not harsh in any way (unless it's a really harsh recording). But it's up above near 10k and above where I feel like there's no openness. I think it's most evident with ambient or drone music or minimal soundtrack music, it sounds very dull and closed in. I think HD800 would be much too bright for me, but I've never tested it out so I can't say for sure.
I used to think 'dark' headphones were for me, but no clearly not.

It does seem like I haven't got much to lose by at least trying these out, anyway.
Maybe others can chime in on this, I must say I don't really pay attention to treble beyond 10Khz. Upper midrange and lower treble are the parts that often annoy me with some headphones and this is where I think the Quad is well balanced, with good/reasonable energy. Beyond that I'm not sure, but you can find more measurements here:
https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-q-t-quad-era-1
The HD800 would certainly be a far strech from the P7 on the other hand! Something like the HD6** series would be closer.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,011 of 2,270
Maybe others can chime in on this, I must say I don't really pay attention to treble beyond 10Khz. Upper midrange and lower treble are the parts that often annoy me with some headphones and this is where I think the Quad is well balanced, with good/reasonable energy. Beyond that I'm not sure, but you can find more measurements here:
https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-q-t-quad-era-1
The HD800 would certainly be a far strech from the P7 on the other hand! Something like the HD6** series would be closer.

No idea how to read those!
This is interesting...
"As the leakage responses show, this is one of the few headphones that are largely unaffected by compromised earpad sealing, which means that a broad range of listeners are likely to experience similar tonal balance from it. This is reflected in the relatively small changes in the Harman PPR rating to 43/53 ≡ 38%/47% and 33/55 ≡ 29%/48% respectively in our spectacles and 'hair' tests."

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,012 of 2,270
No idea how to read those!
This is interesting...
"As the leakage responses show, this is one of the few headphones that are largely unaffected by compromised earpad sealing, which means that a broad range of listeners are likely to experience similar tonal balance from it. This is reflected in the relatively small changes in the Harman PPR rating to 43/53 ≡ 38%/47% and 33/55 ≡ 29%/48% respectively in our spectacles and 'hair' tests."
Basically you can see a drop over the 10k mark in the first charts. But to be fair this is common with many headphones. I think there's still plenty of air in relative terms. I'm just not sure if we can say the Quad is best in class here.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,013 of 2,270
Basically you can see a drop over the 10k mark in the first charts. But to be fair this is common with many headphones. I think there's still plenty of air in relative terms. I'm just not sure if we can say the Quad is best in class here.

With leather pads it seems to rise back up again inbetween 10 and 20k, am I reading that right? Drop seems less severe too. (Leather is in blue)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 20.38.49.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 20.38.49.png
    999.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,014 of 2,270
With leather pads it seems to rise back up again inbetween 10 and 20k, am I reading that right? Drop seems less severe too. (Leather is in blue)
Yeah. The velour pads seems to reach deeper with a roll off on the (very) highs.
Interesting how less roll off the velours have in the lows.
Wished their openings were a bit taller, like the leather ones.
But they're a bit small to my ears, sadly.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,015 of 2,270
Yes the leather pads sound a bit brighter to my ears. On the other hand they also sound much more bass-oriented than what the chart suggests. I've been using them for the past few days and they add a nice flavour. Not a very neutral approach because of the enhanced bass but I like the added presence in the lows (I keep changing my mind about those pads :beyersmile:)

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,017 of 2,270
I'm not very good at describing things with trebles and lows and what not but what I do know after only 20 hours listening time with these is that they are awesome. I've never heard music so good, and so clear. I'm using them with the leather pads connected to the Quad Vena 11 and playing vinyl on the project x1. I just need to sort the headband gap but otherwise I'm over the moon with them.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #1,019 of 2,270
I saw a comment elsewhere on Head-fi, a rather dismissive one, which said the Quad is more or less 70% closed. Exaggeration?

I can't comment on percentages, but...

Would it be a good thing or a bad thing ?

I own one, been listening to it for the last two weeks. If it is 70%, to me it's spot on.

It is a magnificent headphone, and frankly I don't care whether it is because of, or despite of the percentage of it being open or closed..

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,020 of 2,270
I can't comment on percentages, but...

Would it be a good thing or a bad thing ?

I own one, been listening to it for the last two weeks. If it is 70%, to me it's spot on.

It is a magnificent headphone, and frankly I don't care whether it is because of, or despite of the percentage of it being open or closed..

It'd put me off, yeah. I feel like a lot of the frustrations of my current headphones are down to them being closed cans. Having auditioned the ZMF Eikon (another not-entirely closed/not-entirely open model), the sound still felt closed-in.

Or maybe the Eikon is completely closed? Can't really remember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back