QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #992 of 2,269
Damn I can feel your pain. I read somewhere that some units had problems on one side but not the other. Hope you get sorted as I'm loving my Quads.

Yeah, then you'll be able to feel the pain! If I manage to overhear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, then I hear the absolutely amazing sound these cans make! New is that it's now also appears randomly, oh how exciting!

Fortunately, the phenomena occurs especially in the lower frequencies and/or when I play a little loud. If I play whisperly low, and just over mid-bass, I'm fine... (Almost)

EDIT: Good news is that the other side-sound - the metallic sound that's probably came from the metal or similar, has diminished, if I'm lucky it maybe completely disappears?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #994 of 2,269
The metallic sound was discussed on the thread a few pages ago. I don't remember if it was considered to be an issue or a normal behavior. I'm not even sure I hear it on mine... But you should be able to find the posts.

Thank you! I will look into it!

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #995 of 2,269
Hello All

After the summer I want to buy a new headphone amp (with remote volume minimum) I was thinking the Topping DX7 or the Topping D90 + R90 (although the R90 doesn't exist yet) The RME ADI Dac looks intersting But I can't seem to find much reference to it being used with the Era-1's . The soundnews YT review of the DX7 suggests its not a good choice for the Quads so I'm wondering if the same will apply to the D90 & R90 when it comes along. I'm loving the Quads & don't want to go backwards with them in anyway. Having said that I currently use them with a Schiit Modi3/Magni3 stack & am loving the sound they give me. I've actually got a Quad Vena II on the way which I will use with the Quads but ultimately that is for use in another room, so when that moves on I'll be wanting something new around the 1k mark. All suggestions taken seriously. 👍

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #996 of 2,269
I'm posting this since I earlier in this tread wrote that i had problems with bi sound in bass etc, and that I posted a concern on it on Saturday in email to Hifi-Freaks.

Since many people have complained about HiFi-Freak's customer service etc, I must say that I have again found that customer service is very good!

Got answers from them now, they say I'll get new ERA-1 when they get them in stock, and hope I can live with the ones I have until then, and for the irony/humor the last sentence came with a smile, I really like that attitude!

So - for me and my experience - they're absolutely helpful all the way.

But for now I either get to play with low volume level on the ERA-1, and avoid sub-bass, or use any of the other headphones that have been laying and collecting dust since I got these ...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #997 of 2,269
I can't find a thread about this, so I'm trying to figure out something about the following: I mainly use iFi micro iDSD Black Label on laptops for the ERA-1.

Does anyone here have experience with the settings on the dac it self, while use iFi micro iDSD Black Label?

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #999 of 2,269
I'm posting this since I earlier in this tread wrote that i had problems with bi sound in bass etc, and that I posted a concern on it on Saturday in email to Hifi-Freaks.

Since many people have complained about HiFi-Freak's customer service etc, I must say that I have again found that customer service is very good!

Got answers from them now, they say I'll get new ERA-1 when they get them in stock, and hope I can live with the ones I have until then, and for the irony/humor the last sentence came with a smile, I really like that attitude!

So - for me and my experience - they're absolutely helpful all the way.

But for now I either get to play with low volume level on the ERA-1, and avoid sub-bass, or use any of the other headphones that have been laying and collecting dust since I got these ...

I've had only positive experiences with hififreaks although their website is kind of a mess. Really great prices, fast delivery and 30 days try at home service. Never had to deal with their customer service but they also offer 3 years warranty on everything.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,000 of 2,269
Yes. That's why i still use a Geekria Headband cover with foam inserted. :wink:
Works pretty well. ^^

Hi, I've been following this thread after being directed here watching a bit of a negative review of the era-1's. However, based on the positivity around these cans written here and other positive reviews I took the plunge. They arrived today. They are beauties.

I havnt plugged them in yet, I'm waiting for the wife to dissappear so I get peace lol. Trying them on though and on the smallest headband setting there is about a 1.5cm gap between the head band and my baldy head.

I have quoted a post further back in the thread that mentions using a Geekria headphone cover with foam inserted. Can you give any further details on specifically what cover and foam or do any other owners have any suggestions on which geekria pads to use as there are none specific to these cans. Plenty on amazon for other cans though.

Thanks, Neil.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,001 of 2,269
Hi, I've been following this thread after being directed here watching a bit of a negative review of the era-1's. However, based on the positivity around these cans written here and other positive reviews I took the plunge. They arrived today. They are beauties.

I havnt plugged them in yet, I'm waiting for the wife to dissappear so I get peace lol. Trying them on though and on the smallest headband setting there is about a 1.5cm gap between the head band and my baldy head.

I have quoted a post further back in the thread that mentions using a Geekria headphone cover with foam inserted. Can you give any further details on specifically what cover and foam or do any other owners have any suggestions on which geekria pads to use as there are none specific to these cans. Plenty on amazon for other cans though.

Thanks, Neil.
I use this one
The foam is from an old protective layer, but you can use every soft piece of foam that fits the size of the headband. :wink:

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,003 of 2,269
Hi all.

Thinking about getting these.
Read through this thread and seem to remember someone who owned B & W P7's posting - was wondering how the p7s compare to the Quad. I would hope there's a dramatic difference in terms of treble air and 'openness', as that's what I find most frustrating about the otherwise solid P7's.

In general, or posing a more general question to anyone who can answer - how is the airiness and openness on these? I've read some contrasting opinions on the treble of the Quad, some say detail could be better, some say it's great etc.

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,005 of 2,269
Hi all.

Thinking about getting these.
Read through this thread and seem to remember someone who owned B & W P7's posting - was wondering how the p7s compare to the Quad. I would hope there's a dramatic difference in terms of treble air and 'openness', as that's what I find most frustrating about the otherwise solid P7's.

In general, or posing a more general question to anyone who can answer - how is the airiness and openness on these? I've read some contrasting opinions on the treble of the Quad, some say detail could be better, some say it's great etc.
I would say treble is actually one of the strengths of the Quad. I also have an old version of the Stax Lambdas which excel at treble and the Quad compares very well. It has a good energy/extension in the top end without ever being aggressive like dynamics can be sometimes. The only thing is that it's not 100% open like the Stax or like my HD600, it sounds more like a semi open headphone. It doesn't mean that it sounds closed in or anything, but you still get the feeling of having a headphone on your head and being isolated from the outside environnement. Which can be enjoyable depending on the perspective.

I'm not sure about ambient but for anything like trance, dance, etc, the Quad is crazy good with its combination of deep bass, sharp treble and speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back