QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #961 of 2,248
Hi, I've been lusting after a set of the Quads for a few months now but couldn't bring myself to shell out the 700euro price tag. Then I saw 47anLoken's post re them being on sale in Sweden @ 400euros so to cut a long story short I now have a lovely pair of ERA-1's sat on my head. They're an upgrade from my 20yr old HD600's and WOW what an upgrade, even to my old used & abused ears. I honestly thought my HD600's were great but these things are in a different league. I'm currently driving them with Modi3/Magni3 but am planning to upgrade to the Topping D90/A900( or P90 if its available) After the Holidays.

So a big thanks to 47anLoken for putting me on the trail of the cut price Quads. 👍

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #962 of 2,248
Hi, I've been lusting after a set of the Quads for a few months now but couldn't bring myself to shell out the 700euro price tag. Then I saw 47anLoken's post re them being on sale in Sweden @ 400euros so to cut a long story short I now have a lovely pair of ERA-1's sat on my head. They're an upgrade from my 20yr old HD600's and WOW what an upgrade, even to my old used & abused ears. I honestly thought my HD600's were great but these things are in a different league. I'm currently driving them with Modi3/Magni3 but am planning to upgrade to the Topping D90/A900( or P90 if its available) After the Holidays.

So a big thanks to 47anLoken for putting me on the trail of the cut price Quads. 👍

You're welcome! 👍🏼

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #963 of 2,248
Hello can someone please help me out. I am considering the Quad Era-1 but have never heard it. But I also have the Focal Clear and Hifiman Ananda as options as well. So could you tell me how the tonality, detail, clarity, soundstage and dynamics are on the Quad Era-1 compared to the other two? I do own a Focal Elegia that I absolutely love but I have been extremely curious about the Quad Era-1 for a long time. So Era-1, Ananda or Focal Clear. I want heaps of detail and dynamics, great soundstage, doesn't have to be crazy wide but nice open sounding with great imaging. And a nice tonality.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #964 of 2,248
I have no experience with the Ananda, but here are some points concerning ERA-1 vs Clears from the top of my head:

Clears are better in regards to imaging, have a more threedimensional soundstage, better dynamics, stronger bass. Disadvantages: Metallic timbre, less precise bass and they actually did sound less transparent and less resolving and less controled than the ERA-1 to me. In the end the timbre was the dealbraker with the Clears for me (but many people apparently don't have this problem), otherwise this is in my opinion mostly a matter of taste - do you want something that sounds extremely dynamic and lively (Clears) or a headphone with a more analytical bend (ERA-1)? As far as the build is concerned, i would prefer the Clears, but the ERA-1 are still pretty good in this regard for quite a bit less money.

Edit: One more thing, the sound of the ERA-1 imo much more depends on the rest of your chain than the Clears.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #965 of 2,248

Any chance you can provide a link to this offer? I can only find one swedish shop, and they're asking 8300 SKR, which is roughly 800 euro's.. Here in the Netherlands the regular price is 700 euro's..

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #966 of 2,248
Any chance you can provide a link to this offer? I can only find one swedish shop, and they're asking 8300 SKR, which is roughly 800 euro's.. Here in the Netherlands the regular price is 700 euro's..

Yes, it seems like the amazing offer is not available anymore. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if they lower the price again.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #967 of 2,248
Yes, it seems like the amazing offer is not available anymore. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if they lower the price again.
Thanks, just my bad luck.. It is the hifi-freaks.se site?

Edit: I'm answering my own questions here.. They offer a Quad Era-1 demo for almost half-price.. 410 euro's.. Was yours a demo as well ?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #969 of 2,248
No, it was spanking new. 😊 (no B-stock either).
Wow, I'm trying to chat with them as we speak. In their checkout page you have to select a country, but I can only choose Sweden or Norway.. Their chat-box isn't very responsive, besides "Hi ".. LOL

Edit : Wait for it...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #970 of 2,248
And I just received their conformation email ! I think they only advertised it as a demo, I could order 5 or 10, and I don't think they use that many demo's..

Really, really happy with this. I had just finished reading this entire thread... :o2smile:

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #971 of 2,248
And I just received their conformation email ! I think they only advertised it as a demo, I could order 5 or 10, and I don't think they use that many demo's..

Really, really happy with this. I had just finished reading this entire thread... :o2smile:

Awesome! When I ordered mine there were both new ones and what they call B-stock. But the new ones were actually cheaper, 3995 sek compared to a little bit over 4000 sek for the B-stock.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #972 of 2,248
Awesome! When I ordered mine there were both new ones and what they call B-stock. But the new ones were actually cheaper, 3995 sek compared to a little bit over 4000 sek for the B-stock.
Just for the fun of it ( and to make sure ) I put 10 of them in my cart and went to the checkout. No indication that you could not order ten demo's, so I'm confident it's gonna be a new one.

I am not new to the headphone scene, but I haven't had the possibility to try or use a lot of equipment. No fancy stores in the neighbourhood, no shows to visit..

Started out roughly ten years ago with the HD600 and a Darkvoice tube-amp. Loved tube-rolling..
When the HD600 lost one channel, and the Darkvoice started making all kinds of weird noises and getting very, very hot (not the tubes) I went three years without serious head-fi.

Then, don't know exactly how, I got on the Schiit track. Vali-2 and Modi-multibit. Tried a HD700, but didn't like it and ended up with the HD660S. Upgraded the Schitt stack recently via Asgard3 to Jotunheim and Modius..

Now adding the ERA-1 to the line-up. My first planar, I am very curious... I'll let you know.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #973 of 2,248
Just for the fun of it ( and to make sure ) I put 10 of them in my cart and went to the checkout. No indication that you could not order ten demo's, so I'm confident it's gonna be a new one.

I am not new to the headphone scene, but I haven't had the possibility to try or use a lot of equipment. No fancy stores in the neighbourhood, no shows to visit..

Started out roughly ten years ago with the HD600 and a Darkvoice tube-amp. Loved tube-rolling..
When the HD600 lost one channel, and the Darkvoice started making all kinds of weird noises and getting very, very hot (not the tubes) I went three years without serious head-fi.

Then, don't know exactly how, I got on the Schiit track. Vali-2 and Modi-multibit. Tried a HD700, but didn't like it and ended up with the HD660S. Upgraded the Schitt stack recently via Asgard3 to Jotunheim and Modius..

Now adding the ERA-1 to the line-up. My first planar, I am very curious... I'll let you know.

The hififreaks website is not very reliable. Didn't it say that both B-stock and new ones were out of stock? So, cross your fingers! By the way, did you get a confirmation that they ship to other countries than Sweden and Denmark? Good luck with the purchase!

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #974 of 2,248
The hififreaks website is not very reliable. Didn't it say that both B-stock and new ones were out of stock? So, cross your fingers! By the way, did you get a confirmation that they ship to other countries than Sweden and Denmark? Good luck with the purchase!
Yep, they confirmed that shipping to the Netherlands was not a problem, it even says so on the invoice. Both new and 'demos' were in stock. I already received a conformation from the postal service PostNord that they received the shipment-information.
I am an optimist who hasn't been proven wrong yet.. Fingers crossed and hoping I didn't jinx it indeed..

And nar53 got his ERA-1 in france...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #975 of 2,248

Personally I think the Quad is an upgrade to the HD600 series. Not too different in terms of tuning, but it just has more body and presence overall, especially in the lows, while providing a sharper/faster sound. I do still like the tuning of the HD600 a bit better, but planar just sounds more natural (at least on a solid state amp). I'm curious to read your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back