QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #946 of 2,247
What dac/amp are you using? Just curious. I would love to test my Quads against other headphones like for example LCD-4 and Hifiman Arya. Just for fun, won't upgrade for a long time.

I have a MSB Analog Dac with quad rate usb and a audio gd master 9 amp.

Im really surprised the Era seems to be like a hidden gem and not very talked about, especially since it comes from legendary Quad. If this thing is at 700 euros and blows overpriced LCD 4 out of the water, wonder what they can come up in the future for 1500 euros

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #948 of 2,247
Which pads are you using, people in this thread often do not mention that. I love the angled pleather pads myself, feel like it puts out the proper amount of bass and very open speaker like presentation.
Afaik, the oem pads are sheepskin leather pads. :wink:
But yes, i for my find them better than the velour pads.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #949 of 2,247
Just received my set today.Just as i imagined(hoped) on first listening, a really good set of middle ground headphones.Nothing too overpowering from the bass through to the treble.I have a set of Beyer Dt990 pro's and Audioquest nighthawks so the era's fit in the middle of the sound spectrum.I have just upgraded my Audeze Deckard to a Moon Sim Audio 320 had headphone amp, so plenty of listening ahead with this combo.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #954 of 2,247
Yes. That's why i still use a Geekria Headband cover with foam inserted. :wink:
Works pretty well. ^^

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #956 of 2,247
As previously mentioned who did Quad get to model this headphone"SHREK"?. It just fits me on the lowest setting thankfully, but i can see if you had a smaller than average skull these would fall off easily.
Did i mentioned that you can mod them with the headband of the T1? :ksc75smile: :o2smile:
The size of the suspension should fit perfectly.

But i don't want to screw up the T1. ^^

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #957 of 2,247
I have been trying to decide in the past 2 weeks if i should let go of the ERA-1- The answer is a resounding "No". Although the HEDDPhone is comparable in regards to tuning and imo better in regards to technicalities and soundstage, the ERA-1 is just such a good overall headphone and much less of a hassle as a very high quality 'daily beater'. Sometimes i almost wonder a bit if i should sell the HEDDphone instead considering that money does matter for me (but i almost certainly won't!).

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #958 of 2,247
Yeah.
The (only) greatest downside with the Era-1 could be that you haven't bought it. :sunglasses:

It's just great.
Even if something like the Empyrian will be on my side, i'll never part with the Era-1.

Hopefully sooner than later, this pandemic disaster will be over, i want to go to some audio stores in Munich to audition something different.
Let's hope Rauch&Schall, Hifi-Concept and all others aren't closed due to this lottery. :wink:

Otherwise, i've to audition your hedd, @Uebelkraehe . :dt880smile:

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #959 of 2,247
I have been trying to decide in the past 2 weeks if i should let go of the ERA-1- The answer is a resounding "No". Although the HEDDPhone is comparable in regards to tuning and imo better in regards to technicalities and soundstage, the ERA-1 is just such a good overall headphone and much less of a hassle as a very high quality 'daily beater'. Sometimes i almost wonder a bit if i should sell the HEDDphone instead considering that money does matter for me (but i almost certainly won't!).
I'm having similar considerations about my Stax. The Lambda is definitely going away since it doesn't manage to beat the Quad technically and it's less engaging for what I listen to. But I still have the SR-007 which is completely underpowered at the moment and yet still manages to wow me in terms of transparency and musicality and make the Quad sound slightly congested and brighter in comparison. I'm tempted to keep it and get a better electrostat amp. But the practical/financial factor of the Quad is hard to ignore, it's so compact and quite easy to power.

@Chris Kaoss did you hear/compare the Empyrean with the Quad?

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #960 of 2,247
Only from memory.
Had a brief listening @ Rauch und Schall in Munich. Not a serious one, sadly.
That's why i have to have another audition with Empy and Quad side by side. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back