QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #811 of 2,247
I'm having a lot of fun comparing the Quad with the Stax through the K5 pro, since it can also feed my Stax amp at the same time with its line out and let me switch between the two easily :)

And I'll say this: with the velour pads you get a strikingly similar sound to a Stax Lambda. Depending on what you're looking for (transparency, body, depth) you might end up preferring one of them. But it's really close.

3B6255FA-5D35-4A71-ACF1-3A0447D9FBC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #812 of 2,247
So by the way, last week I connected the good old Nightowl for comparison.
This one had me a relatively long time, also excited. But with the listening lessons, I missed something.
I could not put into words what. My guess was: too much v-shape.The midtone is missing! But no, that was not it.

The quad has shown me what I missed on Nightowl, namely energy, dynamics.
Especially in the bass range.
Anyway, the quad had completely turned my world upside down. Over the years I got the impression that only closed headphones in the bass area can make me happy.
Because only they can reproduce powerful and punchy basses. So my thinking ...
The Era-1 has proven to me that this is nonsense!
These headphones unfold an incredible power and dynamics, giving the impression as if, somewhat exaggerated, a subwoofer is playing along.
Tracks like Slow Feelings by Mood Wrap, or See Beyond by Nadja Lind are wonderful to clarify the bass quality of the quad. And there we are already at the difference to my beloved Ebony: Quality instead of quantity!

Enough of the bass raved.

In the past, I often had the problem that the midrange sound, at 1-3kHz, was too present for me, or rather, too sharp.
I am very sensitive. For this reason, also the Denon ah d7200 had to go.
In any case, convinced the Quad also in this regard, right down the line.
The midrange is there, and without restraint, at the same time this is never intrusive.
The stage is large. Details are there. The highs are skilfully dosed.

(My Era-1 is connected to the Audioquest Cobalt)

Thank you Quad

Same here! Coming from NightOwls to Era, oh!, how much more is the sound detailed and lovely in tone! :D

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #814 of 2,247
I love my ERA-1s, too. Actually so much that i sold my Focal Clears as they were rarely used at all. The Quads don't have the lively bubble of extremely dynamic sound the Clears provide, but as far as control, transparency and timbre are concerned, i prefer them by a lot. At least since i got the SMSL SP200 which pushed them to another level compared to the Arcam rHead.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #815 of 2,247
Hi!
Did it help? The cable from Forza? In separation or warmth? I am considering one myself too, but only the Claire series, many thanks! :)
It's not only the cable.
What i mean is the Era-1 with the Audio GD R28.
This dac/amp is designed for use with balanced for the best performance.
For comparison, i got the Claire Hybrid in a short version and 3.5mm.

20190908_151538.jpg20190908_151712.jpg

This cable is so much better than the stock one connected to my V30.

But for mobile use, i'd recommend the kimber braid of the Noir for full convenience.
This cable is perfect in flexibility and comfort.
Maybe you can ask Matt about the kimber braid for the Claire.
It's much better than the 3d braiding of the standard Claire, imo.

Soundwise, i can't compare a balanced with a single ended connection because of there differences in power output. :wink:
Keep in mind that the balanced output of the R28 is far superior to the SE-output.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #816 of 2,247
@Chris Kaoss
It looks like we have a very similar taste.
I used to have R2R 1 dac so I know how it sounds :) and now I have LG V30 :D
But I use Eras only at home with my Burson amp and have experience with Forzas Copper mk2 cable with other headphones.
So when you use this claire cable with your R28 single ended, do you hear improvement? over the stock cable
What I remember, the copper series cable gave me better separation and clarity with my previous headphones.
THX! :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #817 of 2,247
@TiborM

Haha. Didn't recognized your sig. :)

Yeah, the Claire Hybrid MK2 opens up the sound in both directions.
While the Era-1 is a more mid-centric sounding headphone with really good extensions in the bottom and top, the Claire Hybrid forces the top and bottom by a bit.
But i've to mention that with the brighter sounding V30, it could change the top end of the Era-1 in a negative way at higher volumes.
So the Claire "standard" cable is the best way pairing with a neutral/ bright dac.

The Noir hybrid with the R28 is on another level and raises the bar easily on balanced connection.
I don't have a balanced cable for pairing the Era-1 with the BTR5 so there's no comparison on that.
For mobile use, my main setup is the PM-3 or the Monitor 5 out of the V30 or BTR5 while working on cars.

I'd like to say that the Era isn't a headphone for very high volume listening.
On normal listening volumes, it outperforms all other headphones i've had listen to.

Of course ymmv. :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #818 of 2,247
@Chris Kaoss
Yes! I noticed that lately and have been listening on a bit lower volumes since then and love it! The separation and control is amazing. I will go with the standard Claire then probably, I´d like to add come warmth and body to the sound! :D :D :D Hey, by the way, what option did you order, for what headphones I mean? Focal Clear or Hifiman Arya or did you just send an email?

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #820 of 2,247
@Chris Kaoss
Yes! I noticed that lately and have been listening on a bit lower volumes since then and love it! The separation and control is amazing. I will go with the standard Claire then probably, I´d like to add come warmth and body to the sound! :D :D :D Hey, by the way, what option did you order, for what headphones I mean? Focal Clear or Hifiman Arya or did you just send an email?
I was writing many e-mails with @Matez in order to get the right termination for the Era-1.
In the order process you've to choose Beyerdynamic T1/T5, just write in the comment box that the Era-1 got "+" at tip and ring.
This is important bc the T1s termination is another one while the plugs are the same. :wink:

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #821 of 2,247
Been switching back and forth between the two types of pads for a few days and I feel like the velour pads are a bit unfairly disregarded. To me they provide better overall transparency and timbre while sacrificing a bit of soundstage and bass presence/impact (more Stax-like in other words). To my ears it's a fair trade.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #822 of 2,247
I don't think the velour pads are "bad" in that way.
But for me the angled leather pads shows a better presentation overall. :)
Thank you for your thoughts in regards to the Stax.
Maybe i schould try some in the near future to raise my knowledge. :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #823 of 2,247
I don't think the velour pads are "bad" in that way.
But for me the angled leather pads shows a better presentation overall. :)
Thank you for your thoughts in regards to the Stax.
Maybe i schould try some in the near future to raise my knowledge. :)
If you like more the sound with the leather pads I'm not sure you will like Stax, it's quite different :) This kind of 3D presentation is more reminiscent of Audeze I believe, with a bit more energy in the top end maybe. I also love the presentation with the leather pads but something about the timbre feels off to my ears after a while. The velour pads seem more adapted for critical listening.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #824 of 2,247
If you like more the sound with the leather pads I'm not sure you will like Stax, it's quite different :) This kind of 3D presentation is more reminiscent of Audeze I believe, with a bit more energy in the top end maybe. I also love the presentation with the leather pads but something about the timbre feels off to my ears after a while. The velour pads seem more adapted for critical listening.
+1 for me
I´ve been listening to them with velour pads for last 2 weeks as well and also like them more. I got better bass slam and more detail, sound is more narrower but more intimate :)
- the picture I posted is a bit older ...

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #825 of 2,247
@mobbaddict @TiborM

Know what you mean.
I'll give it a shot and take some hours with the velours again.
But mostly i don't do critical listening, just listening to music and enjoy the staging and space of the leather ones. :)

Will report later.

Have a great day. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back