QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #797 of 2,247
Thanks. I tried pulling and heard something like glue... Hope I didn’t rip anything. The problem is I’m not sure where the headphone ends and where the pads begin. I also see a small tab on the top side, is that part of the headphone or the pads? Thanks for your help.
The tab is on the housing. Don't so worries about removing the earpad. Grab around the pad and pull down. Several pins hold the pad.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #799 of 2,247
I've heard the PA-One, or the Plus?? can't remember exactly, with the Era-1 on a hifi-shop in munich at the end of 2018.
At this moment, and after using my V30 to listen to the Era-1, i was falling in love with this headphone. :)
Half a year after this experience i've bought the Era-1.
Now with the R 28, the love keeps growing.

Btw., they've to adjust their spec sheet, i guess. :ksc75smile:
The Era is 20 ohm. ^^

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #800 of 2,247
I'm finally getting a decent amp for the Quad this week, I had to cancel my previous order for the K5 pro and find a more reliable reseller for it (which is hard to find since the Fiio plant was closed because of coronavirus). So much time lost in the process :slight_frown: but i really wanted an affordable all in one solution.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #801 of 2,247
I got a Audio GD NFB 10.33 for sale. ^^
Bought used for a good friend from the sales forum a week ago.
But he needs rca connection from his avr to the audio gd, which isn't available on this device.

Sadly, i've to sell it again.
It sounds amazing feed from usb and optical with the T1, Era-1, Monitor 5 and at least with the PM-3.
Didn't try the coax connection.
There's enough headroom for every headphone on the planet. :)

PM me if interested. :wink:

Meanwhile i'll enjoy listen to my R 28. :L3000:

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #802 of 2,247
I got a Audio GD NFB 10.33 for sale. ^^
Bought used for a good friend from the sales forum a week ago.
But he needs rca connection from his avr to the audio gd, which isn't available on this device.

Sadly, i've to sell it again.
It sounds amazing feed from usb and optical with the T1, Era-1, Monitor 5 and at least with the PM-3.
Didn't try the coax connection.
There's enough headroom for every headphone on the planet. :)

PM me if interested. :wink:

Meanwhile i'll enjoy listen to my R 28. :L3000:
It looks nice indeed! I checked the dimensions but it's a bit big for my needs, I'd rather keep it compact and discrete on my bedside table. The Fiio will just fit the size of my Stax amp, this way I will just... stack them :wink: But thanks for the kind proposition, I hope it will find a good owner :)

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #803 of 2,247
Feb 25, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #804 of 2,247
I hate that site. They have a comments section but refuse to post comments, and their reviews are vague and non-informative. Why it continues to exist is beyond me. I miss the old Tyll version.
I agree that the old version was much better. To be honest I've become wary with bloggers in general since they seem more interested in hyping new stuff and promoting tons of affiliate links. Having said that, the review might be helpful for some.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #806 of 2,247
Are these fully open back? Leaks in and out, but how much?

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #807 of 2,247
Are these fully open back? Leaks in and out, but how much?
Yes, they are.
The leakage is like every fully open headphone.

Wait, the K812 by AKG leaks a lot more then this one, in my experience.
In case your're familiar with.

These headphones are made for diving into the music,imo.
Leakage doesn't matter in case you really enjoy listening to music.
If you don't want to disturb anyone, have a look at some closed backs like Ether C(X) or the DCA Aeon 2 Closed on the planar side.

For dynamics i'd recommend something like the Pioneer Monitor 5, which i own, or something like Denon D7200, which got a bit raised mid highs in comparison.

My recommentations are based on the Audio GD R28, which is a R2R Dac/Amp.
The sound could change drastically with an sabre amp or a device without proper amplification capabilities. :wink:

Have a great listening.

Chris

Edit.
Something to add about this headphone.
Without music playing, they'll enforce the outside noise by a bit.
Don't know if that happens to other open back headphones. :wink:
Never discovered this by the Beyerdynamic T1 (half open back)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #808 of 2,247
Just got the K5 pro today and started testing my two headphones on it (the Quad and the HD600). I don't think the Sennheiser sound changed drastically compared to the little E5 I was using previously, it's just a bit more refined technically, but the Quad oh my... I think I just woke up the beast :dt880smile: They actually sound very similar to each other now, the Quad just has a bit more energy on the bottom and top ends. And sounds more effortless overall. I would say they're so close it's becoming a matter of taste between planar and dynamic. These are just first impressions for now.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #809 of 2,247
Just got the K5 pro today and started testing my two headphones on it (the Quad and the HD600). I don't think the Sennheiser sound changed drastically compared to the little E5 I was using previously, it's just a bit more refined technically, but the Quad oh my... I think I just woke up the beast :dt880smile: They actually sound very similar to each other now, the Quad just has a bit more energy on the bottom and top ends. And sounds more effortless overall. I would say they're so close it's becoming a matter of taste between planar and dynamic. These are just first impressions for now.
Happy listening. :)

Feb 27, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #810 of 2,247
Maybe "waking up the beast" was one of those overstatements I'm used to do though... I would say the Quad just sounds a bit more refined on the K5 versus out of the iPhone, but not that dissimilar. The Chromecast audio is a very convenient tool to do AB testing with a smartphone hehe :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back