Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,351 of 2,153
Is anyone having an issue with Qobuz that when playing a track or album via Roon (or skipping to a track that's NOT the next track) it takes FOREVER to start playing? I'm seeing a huge increase in latency to start a track. Seems OK once playing, but a minimum of 15 seconds before a track plays. (and that on a symmetrical 1Gbps, and yes, I have logged out and back on again)

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,352 of 2,153
Is anyone having an issue with Qobuz that when playing a track or album via Roon (or skipping to a track that's NOT the next track) it takes FOREVER to start playing? I'm seeing a huge increase in latency to start a track. Seems OK once playing, but a minimum of 15 seconds before a track plays. (and that on a symmetrical 1Gbps, and yes, I have logged out and back on again)
Try the Qobuz app (mobile or desktop). If no problem, then the issue is with your Roon system. I don't have Roon but I'm not having any Qobuz issues on my Mac or Pi2AES streamer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,353 of 2,153
I am referring to the download in both cases, I am saying I can buy the hirez cheaper than cd quality download
I guess it's because the hires is counterfit :wink:

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #1,354 of 2,153
Try with Native Qobuz app and see the performance there as well. Also are you doing some upsampling or EQ etc, in that case the machine config of the roon core will matter as well.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,356 of 2,153
I guess it's because the hires is counterfit :wink:
It appears to be so!

I wanted to have a Hi-res version of some of the titles I have in my CD collection. But after this experience, I am reconsidering the whole idea :sweat_smile:

I have another update on my experience of buying hi-res music from Qobuz. I decided to run tests on the files that I purchased and discovered that Lossless Audio Checker (https://losslessaudiochecker.com/) flags one of the albums as 'upsampled.' I contacted Qobuz. They have a procedure to raise a complaint with the record labels. I had to provide the log from the software (that, in this case, doesn't explain much) and the hash5 keys from the files to ensure that I am testing the files that they provided.

2020-10-24_18-48-30.png

So far, I can't get a refund, because:
"Please note. There are no refunds on purchased music in any circumstance. We strongly recommend listing to the music in the streaming service before making your purchase if you doubt you will be happy with your purchase. The record labels do not allow for returns. There are no exceptions to this rule. I am very sorry."

This makes sense because they have no way to enforce that I will not keep the files if I get my money back. That is another problem with the music industry; we get punished because of those who engage in piracy.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,357 of 2,153
It's a real pity that it is so hard to rip SACD. I have some friends who helped me out but it is quite difficult. For me it's been the best source of hires.

Other than that just ripped CDs sound excellent if you get good masters.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,358 of 2,153
It's a real pity that it is so hard to rip SACD. I have some friends who helped me out but it is quite difficult. For me it's been the best source of hires.

Other than that just ripped CDs sound excellent if you get good masters.
I saw a 'service' (Golden Ear) while I was looking to get my SACDs into my DAP, in which you mail your SACDs, convert it to DSD files and send you the disk back. The cost was $5 per SACD, and honestly, after my experience buying Hi-res, it started to sound like a good deal.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,359 of 2,153
I cancelled my subscriptions to Tidal and Qobuz. With the pandemic the amount of compelling new classical music recordings featuring orchestras has slowed down to a trickle.
I suppose you use new releases as your primary means to discover recordings. I also look at new releases but there are many other ways to explore the catalog, which for all practical purposes is limitless. I continually discover new (to me) recordings that I want to listen to — really I can't keep up.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,360 of 2,153
I suppose you use new releases as your primary means to discover recordings. I also look at new releases but there are many other ways to explore the catalog, which for all practical purposes is limitless. I continually discover new (to me) recordings that I want to listen to — really I can't keep up.

I've pretty much exhausted the back-catalog for classical music over the past 15 years of collecting CDs and downloading music. So I have an extensive personal collection spanning terabytes of storage. The main draw for me with a streaming service is to keep up with new recordings or new transfers/remasterings of historical classical music recordings. The latter hasn't been as impacted by the pandemic as the former. However, the past few years my interests have tilted more towards new recordings, particularly those offered in 24bit format, because they sound superior and towards more contemporary music.

Most large ensembles and orchestras are expected to remain sidelined until there's a vaccine. That could be as long as next summer.

The active classical labels typically release an album a few months to a year after a recording is made. When Covid hit in the Spring I didn't notice much of an impact because the labels were still working through their 2019 pipeline but by mid summer the number of quality releases noticably slowed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,361 of 2,153
I saw a 'service' (Golden Ear) while I was looking to get my SACDs into my DAP, in which you mail your SACDs, convert it to DSD files and send you the disk back. The cost was $5 per SACD, and honestly, after my experience buying Hi-res, it started to sound like a good deal.

I have some SACDs that I would like to rip but I doubt I'd risk shipping my collection to someone. I lost a headphone amplifier I was shipping to a repair person through the mail 3 years ago. Some of my SACDs are from Japan and now difficult or impossible to obtain replacements for if they were to get lost.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,362 of 2,153
It appears to be so!

I have another update on my experience of buying hi-res music from Qobuz. I decided to run tests on the files that I purchased and discovered that Lossless Audio Checker (https://losslessaudiochecker.com/) flags one of the albums as 'upsampled.' I contacted Qobuz. They have a procedure to raise a complaint with the record labels. I had to provide the log from the software (that, in this case, doesn't explain much) and the hash5 keys from the files to ensure that I am testing the files that they provided.

2020-10-24_18-48-30.png

So far, I can't get a refund, because:
"Please note. There are no refunds on purchased music in any circumstance. We strongly recommend listing to the music in the streaming service before making your purchase if you doubt you will be happy with your purchase. The record labels do not allow for returns. There are no exceptions to this rule. I am very sorry."

This makes sense because they have no way to enforce that I will not keep the files if I get my money back. That is another problem with the music industry; we get punished because of those who engage in piracy.

I've used similar programs for checking the legitimacy of lossless downloaded music files. They're not always reliable and can produce false positives for fake lossless. But I don't think I've used this particular program.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,363 of 2,153
Hi, can anyone help explain how to use Quobuz offline on a micro SD card. My phone (LG V30) doesn't allow setting the micro SD as internal storage. I can't seem to find a way to move the Quobuz app to external storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,364 of 2,153
Hi, can anyone help explain how to use Quobuz offline on a micro SD card. My phone (LG V30) doesn't allow setting the micro SD as internal storage. I can't seem to find a way to move the Quobuz app to external storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Open the My Qobuz tab, then Settings (gear icon at top right). Under Storage you can select the location for imported (offline) and downloaded (purchased) music.

Screenshot_20201029-143547_Qobuz.jpg
Screenshot_20201029-143537_Qobuz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back