Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,336 of 2,130
Offline download tracks play without internet.

Yes, I know.

But I think this is not forever. At some point it will require an Internet connection. Otherwise I could cancel my subscription and just listen to offline music for years, keeping my phone's WiFi off and mobile data disabled! I remember reading about this a while ago. Happy to be corrected though.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,337 of 2,130
Why buy anything nowadays when you can offline download the hi res files? Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon music HD all offer this.
I wanted to have a Hi-res version of some of the titles I have in my CD collection. But after this experience, I am reconsidering the whole idea :sweat_smile:

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,338 of 2,130
But I think this is not forever. At some point it will require an Internet connection. Otherwise I could cancel my subscription and just listen to offline music for years, keeping my phone's WiFi off and mobile data disabled! I remember reading about this a while ago. Happy to be corrected though.
This is correct. The license agreements with music labels require that the offline file must "expire" after some time limit if the app can't verify that your subscription is still active. Since you can only play encrypted offline music through the app anyway, it shouldn't be an issue for most people unless you keep your device completely offline for long periods of time when you play music.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,339 of 2,130
I wanted to have a Hi-res version of some of the titles I have in my CD collection. But after this experience, I am reconsidering the whole idea :sweat_smile:
Yeah for a short while I thought I was going to amas a large collection of baroque classical hi res flack files - but I didn't realise how vast the availabile selection was. I wanted it all! Thank God for streaming and offline downloads! Otherwise I would be dirt poor by now.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,340 of 2,130
This is correct. The license agreements with music labels require that the offline file must "expire" after some time limit if the app can't verify that your subscription is still active. Since you can only play encrypted offline music through the app anyway, it shouldn't be an issue for most people unless you keep your device completely offline for long periods of time when you play music.
Yeah for a short while I thought I was going to amas a large collection of baroque classical hi res flack files - but I didn't realise how vast the availabile selection was. I wanted it all! Thank God for streaming and offline downloads! Otherwise I would be dirt poor by now.
Yeah. Also, the CDs at least I had 'something' to hold in my hands after spending money.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,341 of 2,130
Long story short, before moving into Hi-Fi and all the related investment, I was perfectly happy listening to Apple Music. I noticed that songs would disappear from my playlists (see picture) without warning (probably due to changes in licensing agreements). After a while, I had enough, and I switched to Qobuz.
In Qobuz, my music hasn't disappeared so far, but I noticed other issues. For example: Go to Pomme (https://open.qobuz.com/artist/1243427), where the "most popular" tracks are from an album not available in the US. Her album "À peu près (Deluxe)" although advertised in Hi-Res, will only play at CD quality. According to Qobuz's support, this is a problem related to the 'rights holder.' I ended buying the Hi-Res album in a Japanese store because it is simply not available in the US.
screw geographical restrictions :zipper_mouth:

IMG_5498.png

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,342 of 2,130
Hello,
I recently purchased "Beethoven: 9 Symphonies (1963)" in HiRes after upgrading to Sublime+, which was actually my reason to upgrade.
(https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/b...lharmoniker-herbert-von-karajan/0002894793782)

As soon as I started to listen on my DAP, I discovered a problem with the audio, some kind of jump or gap. I noticed this on the very first track that I played. The mentioned problem is present in the FLAC and AIFF files (I downloaded both).

I just wrote to customer support to request a refund. I have been using Qobuz for a while for streaming, but this is the first time I buy from them, mostly because of Sublime+'s discount. I will update this as soon as I hear back from them.
Update: Last night, I decided to check if the Qobuz version of Beethoven 7th was the problem or not. I happen to have the other two versions of the same recording on CD (as part of two different box sets... I know :darthsmile:). I checked both, and I realized that the same 'detail' is on both of the other recordings!!
I am referring to a 1962 (or 61) recording, so I guess that the Deutsche Grammophone master is the issue here. :sob:
Finally, Qobuz is not to blame, I checked the other albums that I bought, and those are flawless.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,343 of 2,130
Update: Last night, I decided to check if the Qobuz version of Beethoven 7th was the problem or not. I happen to have the other two versions of the same recording on CD (as part of two different box sets... I know :darthsmile:). I checked both, and I realized that the same 'detail' is on both of the other recordings!!
I am referring to a 1962 (or 61) recording, so I guess that the Deutsche Grammophone master is the issue here. :sob:
Finally, Qobuz is not to blame, I checked the other albums that I bought, and those are flawless.
I was just about to ask exactly that (whether the streaming version had the same artifact). It would be interesting to see if it's on the original LP as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,344 of 2,130
Qobuz allows downloading of purchased music in so many file formats lol! I could be wrong, but I don't think Tidal has this feature. I visited their download store website and there only 2 options: Mp3 & FLAC. I am not an audiophile, but WAV & AIFF are true uncompressed audio formats, right? Because I downloaded the same Prince song in AIFF and the file size went up to 62.5 MB :grin: Anyway, being able to download music in so many formats is a very convenient feature to have. Especially for mobile users. Onkyo player on iOS supports both AIFF & WAV. ^__^

IMG_6633.JPG
the amazing thing is it costs less in most cases to buy hirez than it does to buy cd quality if you have the proper plan...it is a great option I make use of quite often

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,345 of 2,130
the amazing thing is it costs less in most cases to buy hirez than it does to buy cd quality if you have the proper plan...it is a great option I make use of quite often
Why amazing? There's nothing to ship, no packaging, no media. They should all cost 50 cents!

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #1,346 of 2,130
Why amazing? There's nothing to ship, no packaging, no media. They should all cost 50 cents!
At the end is not the cost of the media (CD) versus the file. A significant component in the price is 'rights' or who gets what percentage of the pie. Take, for example, Amazon and digital books. The kindle version can be more expensive than the paperback sometimes.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,347 of 2,130
I am referring to the download in both cases, I am saying I can buy the hirez cheaper than cd quality download

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,348 of 2,130
I am referring to the download in both cases, I am saying I can buy the hirez cheaper than cd quality download
Yes, they got me there for the upgrade to Sublime+ :sweat_smile:

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,350 of 2,130
Sorry if this has been covered but I am having a consistent and regular problem with Qobuz plus various DAPS. I will import various playlists, albums, tracks, etc to use offline. They download fine and I can then listen to them. Then, mysteriously they vanish. This has occurred with a variety of DAPS from different manufacturers and has also occurred when importing to internal memory or an SD card. This is annoying to the point of cancelling Qobuz. Has anyone experienced this and come up with a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back