QLS QA360: Another DSD-capable DAP
Nov 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #137 of 751
My initials (vs dx90)
HP: NAD Viso HP50
Tracks: Mainly avant-garde metal (Diablo Swing Orchestra) and psychadelic rock (Camel)

Having had dx90 since its release you can guess how was I deeply accustomed to its sound q. Now using hp50, which a too revealing, and dx90's hiss at gain 2 and 3 became obvious.
Now comes the rough differences:

1. Obviously: SIZE. While dx90 has some old fashioned looks QA is not that large if encountered alone in the nature :)
2. Connectivity: Dx90 had many options. HP, Line, Coax were its -outs. QA has hp, analog, optical (3.5mm), IR out, 5v power out.
3. Sound: dx90 was almost bright and clear. QA is neutral to its bones. And clearer. Bonus: Tried dubstep: Fuller and more "realistic" as computer generated sound could be. And fiercier especially in the bass drop phases. Plus basses hit harder at chords. Bonus2: Röyksopp - Only This Moment: Backing vocal is obvious. Music got elevated into something else with QA :) Bonus3: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (FLAC - almost crystal clear now) Bonus4: Gorillaz - Feel Good INC (Flac): Wow. Was wondering how more this device could get better?! Now listening almost a brand new song than the same song I am listening for nearly a decade.

These recordings are done out of the QA. Will try using a hybrid Schiit Vali clone tomorrow. And a dedicated tube amp Monday.

ps: Couldnt get to vol 250 at dx90. Can never listen at 150 with this one. 70 does it.
ps2: QA is buttoned like ancient devices. No iphone class touch screen.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #139 of 751
Thanks for the interesting impression, Tamirci.

Am wondering if we can have more impressions to come?
Some earlier impressions mention by others says QA360 is preferred over the Hifiman HM901 and DX100, 2 of the most highly praised daps in headfi. While others couldn't agree with the vocal presentation.

Seems to have great potential, however, it's difficult to get a bearing of how the QA360 performs based on the available impressions so far.

Besides DX90, also hope to see more comparisons with Fiio X5, AK100ii, AK120ii and Calyx M, to have a better view of the QA360 performance

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #140 of 751
Thanks. Now laid mine to burnin (was at 50 hours) and will update at like 150 hours. And for that other daps, we'll have a local hp gathering this 23. Will surely drop a line or two if I find chance to audition them.

But first of all gonna copy and format my microsd that I was using with dx90 and hope for the best :) Would hate to buy a new sd card.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #143 of 751
FLAC is certainly supported. There's an alternative firmware that only plays WAV but that's totally optional.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #149 of 751
An interesting comparison..

QA360 is no slouch, keeping the price low, performance high. I seriously like that device. Also 901 needs to learn about how to be a durable and though from QA360
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back