qls mub 1
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #61 of 176
Btw II what you don't read in the manual, only on Chinese forums: the MUB1 has 4 gain settings that have a huge impact on the sound. Forget about L(ow), sounds flat. M(edium) seems to be for line-out (as mentioned in the manual). The magic starts at H(igh), as it sounds way bigger/bolder. S(uper) sounds even bigger, but with a tiny bit of background noise (I have pretty sensitive IEMs).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #62 of 176
Tip/note for iPhone users: MFi certified cables, such as the ddHifi MFi07S, do NOT seem to work. The supplied 4-core lighting cable however does. Probably because the MUB1 does not take its power from the USB-C connection (and thus cannot negotiate power requirements with the iPhone). Thing of the past...after tomorrow's Apple event :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #63 of 176
The MUB1 is here !
PXL_20230911_175226196.jpg

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #64 of 176
thanks
If you compare mub1 only with cayin ru7 which of the two have less shouty mids and more bold dense warm sound and more veiled highs if you need to choose for this type of signature? I search maximum bold dense sound with little veiled highs and more behind mids i don t like mids oin my face and shouty sound. I have now ifi go bar for my zmf atticus and i like the sound...but i ask myself if maybe this mub1 or ru7 can give me little more dense warmer sound becouse i m a little dark like person i prefer darker like sound with good depth in soundstage...i m temted now which to try ru7 or mub1 hehe

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #66 of 176
Sep 11, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #67 of 176
thanks
If you compare mub1 only with cayin ru7 which of the two have less shouty mids and more bold dense warm sound and more veiled highs if you need to choose for this type of signature? I search maximum bold dense sound with little veiled highs and more behind mids i don t like mids oin my face and shouty sound. I have now ifi go bar for my zmf atticus and i like the sound...but i ask myself if maybe this mub1 or ru7 can give me little more dense warmer sound becouse i m a little dark like person i prefer darker like sound with good depth in soundstage...i m temted now which to try ru7 or mub1 hehe
With only 8 hours on the clock, it would be too early to come to such a conclusion. And I am not a reviewer. We may not even share the same vocabulary. To my knowledge dark normally means rolled-off highs (contrary to warm, meaning slightly elevated mid-bass). And so far it does not sound dark (nor bright for that matter), even though the sound has changed significantly in recent hours. Would not recommend anyone to judge this device without proper burn-in. But what I can say already is that the RU7 and MUB1 play in different leagues...MUB1 leaning towards desktop class performance.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #69 of 176
Qls 361 or mub 1?
Depends on your requirements. The QA361 is a stand-alone device that relies on music on an SD Card. The MUB1 requires and external source, or it's just a pretty paperweight. In terms of sound quality, I really rate the MUB1 but haven't heard the 361 so can't comment directly on that.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #70 of 176
Qls 361 or mub 1?
From memory and after just a couple of hours with the MUB1, I'd say that the 361 was slightly brighter sounding. Very crystal clear from what I remember and the MUB1 doesn't give this impression out of the box. More weight on the notes and treble seems less aggressive.
But again, it's very early stage and tested today with different earphones so hard to really tell. I'll test the MUB1 with the U12T later this week. I had them with the 361 so the comparison will probably make more sense then.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #71 of 176
Some quick impressions after ±30 hours: I continue to be a fan of the CS43131 DAC chip. Same neutral (not bright), yet musical sound as I experienced from the DX170 and L&P W4. But - as mentioned previously - the amp section is the differentiator. The sound is full bodied, and sounds much "meatier" than any other dongle I tried/owned. Deep, but not overwhelming (sub-)bass, not too forward mids, and the soundstage is impressive, even wider and taller than my Cayin N7 (depth is marginally smaller, though). For the first time, I am able to really hear differences between the 4/5 DAC filters. I know (Phase-compensated) Fast is technically the "right" one, but for now I prefer LL Fast, sounds slightly airier to my ears. NOS (not really a filter) smoothens the sound (more "analog"). However, it comes with a tiny bit of noise/hiss. Never understood how this is possible, but noticed the same in the past with the CS43131 chip. Most listening was done with gain set to H(high), as this sounds much better than L & M. S(uper) is way louder, so requires the volume to be set much lower. I like the sound in S-mode, but - being allergic to hiss - miss the quiet background. Also compared the MUB1 to my RU7: the MUB1 is a significant step-up in almost all areas. The N7 on the other hand seems to play music a little bit more effortless (if that makes sense) and airier. But I tend to prefer the soundstage and quieter background of the MUB1. For now I am really happy with this purchase. But...other cool stuff is just around the corner, as always :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #72 of 176
Some 30 hours later: what an impressive little device. Only returned to mobile listening recently. But of all the dongles & DAPs I have tried so far (DX170, HC3, KA5, RU6, W4, RU7, N7), this one really sounds the best. I am not necessarily a believer of burn-in, but the sound improved significantly over time. Soundstage depth fully expanded only after some 50 hours. Also tried running the MUB1 from an external power supply (iFi iPower X, charging disabled): has a small, but noticeable impact on low-end and staging. Anyways, highly recommended!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #73 of 176
Owners of MUB1, tell me, can the device work via optics/coaxial only for output or can it also work for reception?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #74 of 176
Owners of MUB1, tell me, can the device work via optics/coaxial only for output or can it also work for reception?
The S/PDIF port is for digital output only. Inputs are USB and Bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back