Qdoba/Chipotle
May 31, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 31
Love Qdoba. It's a lot like Chipotle but the burritos aren't as spicy and there is quite a bit more variety on the menu in the form of salads, gumbos, quesadillas , etc.

I usually get a stack of nachos with steak, 3-cheese sauce, black beans, corn, sour cream and pico de gallo, or a burrito with pretty much the same thing.

May 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it authentic Mexican when Mexicans are microwaving preassembled faux Mexican food?
biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, Taco Bell is not bad when you're in a pinch. You can certainly do much better if you're residing in California though.

I agree....MUCH better out there than TB & Chipotle. But that's only if you like real mexican food. Keep in mind...McDonald's owns and operates Chipotle, 'nuff said.

May 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree....MUCH better out there than TB & Chipotle. But that's only if you like real mexican food...

Yeah, I agree with this. For those living in California or the south west I would rather eat burritos at "real" mexican places.
the best burritos I have had are from small, dimly lit, guys drinking at the bar 2pm weekday afternoon, tables are slightly greasy. Of course in New York though or other places without great mexican restaurants Chipotle is relatively good.

And even though Chipotle is a huge corporation they aren't evil. Apparently they take good, healthy food seriously. When I was at Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin's farm... mentioned in Michael Pollan's work) a year ago a bunch of people from Chipotle had just visited to learn more about sustainable farming. I respect that.

May 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #20 of 31
The burrito place of choice where I'm from is and always has been Anna's Taqueria. No other burrito places in the area come close.

May 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 31
I remember eating at both places quite a bit when I lived in Denver... Chipotle has better burritos (I like em spicy) and Qdoba has better nachos IMHO. I actually liked Chipotle more in its earlier days (as a startup), as the quality of the food and the customer service just all around seemed to be better. Once things get too commercial, they just lose that "thing" that makes them so special in the first place. Both restaurants are fast food chains now, and still 100 times better than Taco Hell. If you think Taco Bell is mexican food, you need serious help...

May 31, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought that ended a couple years ago

Chipotle Mexican Grill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
if wikipedia doesn't lie

I stand corrected. I hadn't kept up on them for awhile now.

Nonetheless, anyone who lives in the Bay Area, and I see people on this thread from there, should be going to Mountain View for their burrito's, not Chipotle. MV has the best burrito places around.

This site is great for the bay Area. Restaurant Reviews - Jason and Terrys Bay Area Reviews - jatbar

May 31, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 31
My favorite of the chain mex places, at least the ones I have eaten at, is Baja Fresh. IMO it slays Qdoba and Chipotle. The nearest Qdoba to me at work closed here, and they were in a busy lunch area.

May 31, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #24 of 31
Is this seriously only the first Chipotle thread on Head-Fi?

Anyway yeah it is the bomb.

May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this seriously only the first Chipotle thread on Head-Fi?

Anyway yeah it is the bomb.

my reaction as well...which is why this thread is started
biggrin.gif

all your talk of these other restaurants makes me want to try them. not too much variety hear in the suburbs of Baltimore.

May 31, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #26 of 31
There are no Qdoba's here in Orange County so I've never tried it.

The first time I had Chipotle, I thought it was awesome. But it gets old pretty fast. Not to mention, from Yahoo's 20 Worst Foods in America article:

"Worst Mexican Entree
Chipotle Mexican Grilled Chicken Burrito
1,179 calories
47 g fat
125 g carbs
2,656 mg sodium

Despite a reputation for using healthy, fresh ingredients, Chipotle's menu is limited to football-size burritos, overstuffed tacos, and gigantic salads — all of which contribute to a humongous waistline.
"

My favorite chain taco/burrito place is Wahoo's Fish Taco. It slays Baja Fresh, Chipotle, Rubio's, etc. It's also a lot healthier than those places. Wahoo's has an interesting background. It was started by three Asians who were raised in Brazil and later moved to Orange County, California. So the food is not traditional Mexican, but a blend of Mexican, Brazilian, and Hawaiian/Japanese flavor. It's really tasty.

May 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no Qdoba's here in Orange County so I've never tried it.

The first time I had Chipotle, I thought it was awesome. But it gets old pretty fast. Not to mention, from Yahoo's 20 Worst Foods in America article:

"Worst Mexican Entree
Chipotle Mexican Grilled Chicken Burrito
1,179 calories
47 g fat
125 g carbs
2,656 mg sodium

Despite a reputation for using healthy, fresh ingredients, Chipotle's menu is limited to football-size burritos, overstuffed tacos, and gigantic salads — all of which contribute to a humongous waistline.
"

I actually eat Chipotle every day in order to lose weight.

HOW?

I'm on a ketogenic diet (low carb). I'm in ketosis, like on the Atkins Diet.

I get the following Burrito Bol: Barbacoa (any meat is fine), Lettuce, Sour Cream, Cheese, and Tomato Salsa.

Total Damage: 425 calories, 7 grams of carbs, 26 grams of fat, 35 grams of protein. Tastes GREAT!

FYI...Chipotle's grilled chicken has the SAME AMOUNT OF FAT as any of the other meats except carnitas. If you think you're saving fat grams by opting for the grilled chicken instead of the steak or barbacoa YOU ARE NOT!

Chipotle Nutrition Facts Calculator 2.0 - How healthy is your Chipotle?

May 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #29 of 31
Chipotle never gets old for me, great food.

The calorie count doesn't mean much, because a normal person that eats a burrito there won't be hungry for the rest of the day.

This thread has tempted me; I'll be on my way to chipotle in a few minutes!

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #30 of 31
That style of those thick burritos are actually classified as Mission Burritos because they originated or became popular in the Mission District of San Francisco.

I first tried one of the burritos back in the 1990s in San Francisco and was blown away! Loved it. I was also able to find that style of burrito in New York also in the 90s at a restaurant called Burritoville (which no longer exists in New York now)

The frustrating thing was that those types of burritos were extremely difficult to find since they were not in the mainstream. I tried to tell some people about these great burritos but no one understood.

Things changed after 2000 when the Chipotle restaurant chain became a big company and became widespread. Now just about every food enthusiast college student in America knows of those types of burritos since they tend to attract a younger generation crowd.

I kind of feel like a pioneer in a way since I discovered those types of burritos back in the 90s before they became mainstream.

Lastly, keep in mind that Chipotle did not invent those burritos. Here’s a bit of history of those burritos.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back