QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #1,141 of 2,715
Yeah I had a similar experience. At the meet two weeks ago where I met Ant I demoed VX, Verite C, Andro Gold, Raal...and for the week that followed it was the sound of the VX that haunted me until I bought one. It's something special.
Interesting to see different experiences. I've had the qdc 8sl for awhile, and loved it. Went to the HK Audio Show to try to decide between the VX and the IER-Z1R. Also tried the Wraith, and some others, as they were available. Expectation wise going into it, I was leaning towards the VX. End result was that the Z1R was the one I liked overall, and spent more time on, starting with it, and coming back to it after trying the others. I have since got a Z1R.

Seeing these different conclusions, I'll have to try the VX again when I get the chance, and after living with the Z1R for awhile. My setup does have differences, though, as I have a heavily modded WM1Z, I guess everything comes down to synergy within a system.

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,142 of 2,715
I really dig the VX still. Got to demo a variety of other TOTL or near TOTL IEMS today at the Rainier Mountain Audio Festival (i.e. Seattle Head-Fi meet) and I still think the VX is the best for me. The Z1R and KSE1200 both sound really, really good, but I found the treble to be a tad hot for me (sensitive area i guess). Otherwise, they are quite nice IEMs. Not sure if I could wear either one for a long period of time though, Shure mostly due to having to carry another amp. I tried a few others from Noble and Empire Ears and didnt find them to meet my liking either.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,143 of 2,715
I really dig the VX still. Got to demo a variety of other TOTL or near TOTL IEMS today at the Rainier Mountain Audio Festival (i.e. Seattle Head-Fi meet) and I still think the VX is the best for me. The Z1R and KSE1200 both sound really, really good, but I found the treble to be a tad hot for me (sensitive area i guess). Otherwise, they are quite nice IEMs. Not sure if I could wear either one for a long period of time though, Shure mostly due to having to carry another amp. I tried a few others from Noble and Empire Ears and didnt find them to meet my liking either.

did u try the EE Valkyrie?

many favs now are: Z1R, VX, TE-5 & Valkyrie along with Trinity but it’s too expensive compared to the others

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,144 of 2,715
Interesting to see different experiences. I've had the qdc 8sl for awhile, and loved it. Went to the HK Audio Show to try to decide between the VX and the IER-Z1R. Also tried the Wraith, and some others, as they were available. Expectation wise going into it, I was leaning towards the VX. End result was that the Z1R was the one I liked overall, and spent more time on, starting with it, and coming back to it after trying the others. I have since got a Z1R.

Seeing these different conclusions, I'll have to try the VX again when I get the chance, and after living with the Z1R for awhile. My setup does have differences, though, as I have a heavily modded WM1Z, I guess everything comes down to synergy within a system.

Have you updated to firmware 3.02......it’s super with the IER-Z1R.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,146 of 2,715
Have you updated to firmware 3.02......it’s super with the IER-Z1R.
Yes, I'm on 3.02. Was on 3.01 with the Z1R for just a short time, and updated to 3.02, a little wary of the experiences of people who found the highs to be too harsh. I liked 3.02, possibly because my modded 1Z has tried to address that area, so the 3.02 suits it very well. For the moment, I haven't worried too much about testing with the older firmware. Maybe I'll get the urge someday, but for now, I'll just enjoy the Z1R with 3.02.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,147 of 2,715

Seeing these different conclusions, I'll have to try the VX again when I get the chance, and after living with the Z1R for awhile. My setup does have differences, though, as I have a heavily modded WM1Z, I guess everything comes down to synergy within a

Everyone hears a bit different. Both are TOTL and this it will be the nuances that make the difference. I chose the VX and went the custom route which I feel makes them sound a bit better than the universal due to the seal (a bit tighter and more powerful bass). I also use them with the Cayin N8 and iPhone (with and without the Dragonfly Red). When you can try the VX again to be sure. Either way you have an excellent IEM.
I would like to compare the VX to the Vision Ears VE8 and Elysium, but they are not in the NY area in the US. If you get the chance to try them please let me know your thoughts compared to the Z1R and VX. Tks.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,148 of 2,715
Everyone hears a bit different. Both are TOTL and this it will be the nuances that make the difference. I chose the VX and went the custom route which I feel makes them sound a bit better than the universal due to the seal (a bit tighter and more powerful bass). I also use them with the Cayin N8 and iPhone (with and without the Dragonfly Red). When you can try the VX again to be sure. Either way you have an excellent IEM.
I would like to compare the VX to the Vision Ears VE8 and Elysium, but they are not in the NY area in the US. If you get the chance to try them please let me know your thoughts compared to the Z1R and VX. Tks.

The Empire Wraith and VE were in the booth next to the Sony booth. I did try the VE, I think the VE8 and the Elysium. Just a quick try, though. I was focused on the VX and the Z1R, and anything that did not outperform them, or my current 8sl, I did not spend any more time on. What I was looking for was mainly if the music was involving. An integration of the sound, a transparency, fluidity. In that regard, none of them bettered the Z1R. Take this with a grain of salt, as it was only a quick listen in a noisy environment, and my personal, subjective, and biased opinion. I did try them all with my own DAP, and with selections that I was familiar with, so the IEM was the only difference in each tryout. Also, I should note that the Z1R was with a 4.4mm Sony cable, the VX was with a 3.5, which was not a fair test, but I thought the VX would show what it could do even through the 3.5mm. The VEs was with a 2.5 to 3.5, and then 2.5 to 4.4 when it became avaliable. The Wraith was with a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,149 of 2,715
The Empire Wraith and VE were in the booth next to the Sony booth. I did try the VE, I think the VE8 and the Elysium. Just a quick try, though. I was focused on the VX and the Z1R, and anything that did not outperform them, or my current 8sl, I did not spend any more time on. What I was looking for was mainly if the music was involving. An integration of the sound, a transparency, fluidity. In that regard, none of them bettered the Z1R. Take this with a grain of salt, as it was only a quick listen in a noisy environment, and my personal, subjective, and biased opinion. I did try them all with my own DAP, and with selections that I was familiar with, so the IEM was the only difference in each tryout. Also, I should note that the Z1R was with a 4.4mm Sony cable, the VX was with a 3.5, which was not a fair test, but I thought the VX would show what it could do even through the 3.5mm. The VEs was with a 2.5 to 3.5, and then 2.5 to 4.4 when it became avaliable. The Wraith was with a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter.
Thanks for your thoughts. Tks.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,150 of 2,715
The VX takes a bit of time to really appreciate. Took me an hour or so after I bought it to realize "holy schiit this is a keeper." Still amazes me every day.

Already shared this on the R5 thread, but here ya go!
IMG_20190909_153020-01-02.jpeg

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,151 of 2,715
The VX takes a bit of time to really appreciate. Took me an hour or so after I bought it to realize "holy schiit this is a keeper." Still amazes me every day.

Already shared this on the R5 thread, but here ya go!

How are you liking the R5 compared to the ZX300?

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,152 of 2,715
How are you liking the R5 compared to the ZX300?
I love it! It's exactly what I've been waiting for in a dap. Compact, good battery life, and has streaming. I decided to go single ended and it's supposed to get 18 hrs battery life. Idle drain is miniscule. It's got enough power, as well as a pmeq for my lcd-i4, which sounds amazing on it.

The sound quality is on par with the zx300 and I haven't touched it since I opened the R5 packaging. Been too lazy to put it up for sale.

If you need something compact with lots of power, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,153 of 2,715
Daily reminder that the VX rocks and if you haven't heard it but have the opportunity and means you owe it to yourself to do so.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #1,154 of 2,715
Daily reminder that the VX rocks and if you haven't heard it but have the opportunity and means you owe it to yourself to do so.
On the Rockwell Scale of Rockness, how much would you say it rocks?

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,155 of 2,715
On the Rockwell Scale of Rockness, how much would you say it rocks?

Confusing. There's a real test and scale called the Rockwell Hardness Test and Scale.

I dont recommend doing this on your VX though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back