QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #91 of 2,715
My 8 CH‘s are on their way after just a week with shipping included! These guys are amazing at maintaining quality while providing fast turnarounds.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #93 of 2,715
I just got the QDC Neptune and i got to say, its mighty impressive for a single BA IEM.

Im still listening to it and have yet to burn-in them so consider these my early impressions.

Using my Cayin N3, the resolution and the clarity of the Neptune is simply incredible. It is highly detailed and has a very revealing tuning.

Personally i would disagree with Bina's review about the Neptune. I wouldnt consider the Neptune warm at all. In fact, the amount of treble might cause some who are more sensitive to find it fatiguing for long listening sessions. High quality songs (FLAC) are preferable for the Neptune as it will reveal the lower quality of low bitrate mp3s (192-128kbps).

The bass is very mildly boosted above neutral so bass lovers would reach for the EQ slider. Otherwise, the bass is very accurate and it has just adequate sub-bass rumble when the song calls for it. Personally i would like a tiny bit more bass. (And GOD do i miss the increadible subwoofer-like rumble of the CKR-9)

The mids and highs again are where the iem really shines. It is very crisp, revealing and has superb instrument separation. I have heard the ER4-XR and frankly I find the Neptune slightly more revealing (possibly due to the slightly boosted mids). Highs are also very well handled, cymbal crashes come out crisp and clear without being ear piercing. The higher end of the spectrum is rolled off but in a way that doesnt affect the detail retrieval and airiness of the IEM.

The differences between our impressions may be due to the differences in player usage and the type of music we listen to. I listen to more instrumental music (Game, Movie, Series, Anime Soundtracks) than i do pop music.

Thats my 2 cents so far.

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #94 of 2,715
Ok, after some more extensive listening, i think the Neptune could do with a more high-end sparkle. Some songs with the "magic" tinkling sound do sound a bit recessed.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #95 of 2,715
Hi All,

I just bought the qdc neptune last week (from the amazing Starspicker Audio). Being my first BA iem, it does sound more transparent and less pressure between the ears without losing that bass.
Sadly, when I pair it with LG G6 quad dac, something wrong happened. Whenever I pause the music, there is white noise.
Yes, it is the white noise you heard from bad signal old tv set and this is something never happened to my other iem and headphone.
First I thought maybe because of the in mic that causes the problem but when I tried with my friend's earbud, it doesn't have the issues.
It becomes more peculiar when tried with my old iPhone and laptop. None of those devices have this white noise...
Had anyone this white noise issues? Or it just the neptune is too sensitive?

Cheers,
Kevin from Malaysia

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #96 of 2,715
Hi All,

I just bought the qdc neptune last week (from the amazing Starspicker Audio). Being my first BA iem, it does sound more transparent and less pressure between the ears without losing that bass.
Sadly, when I pair it with LG G6 quad dac, something wrong happened. Whenever I pause the music, there is white noise.
Yes, it is the white noise you heard from bad signal old tv set and this is something never happened to my other iem and headphone.
First I thought maybe because of the in mic that causes the problem but when I tried with my friend's earbud, it doesn't have the issues.
It becomes more peculiar when tried with my old iPhone and laptop. None of those devices have this white noise...

Cheers,
Kevin from Malaysia
Ayyy, I bought my Neptunes from there last Saturday as well.

Anyways, this white noise is likely because the neptunes have a very low impedance and high sensitivity. This makes them especially vulnerable to noise.

FYI, all sources have some background noise with sony's DAPs having the blackest background due to their digital amp. All other analogue amps have varying levels of background noise and it seems that your g6 is on the noisier end of the spectrum.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #97 of 2,715
Hi All,

Cheers,
Kevin from Malaysia
Try asking opinion from the shop. Or else, try checking iFi iEMatch but I don't think you need one.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #99 of 2,715
Ayyy, I bought my Neptunes from there last Saturday as well.

Anyways, this white noise is likely because the neptunes have a very low impedance and high sensitivity. This makes them especially vulnerable to noise.

FYI, all sources have some background noise with sony's DAPs having the blackest background due to their digital amp. All other analogue amps have varying levels of background noise and it seems that your g6 is on the noisier end of the spectrum.

Well, that is what the seller told me about. But then again the white noise is quite loud to extend is like sitting next to a bad signal old tv set >< I don't know if I upgrade the cable will help...

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #100 of 2,715
Well, that is what the seller told me about. But then again the white noise is quite loud to extend is like sitting next to a bad signal old tv set >< I don't know if I upgrade the cable will help...
Sorry to say but you could have gotten Ibasso IT03 with the amount you spent for Neptune and new upgrade cable. Didn't detect noise when demo before buying?

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #101 of 2,715
Sorry to say but you could have gotten Ibasso IT03 with the amount you spent for Neptune and new upgrade cable. Didn't detect noise when demo before buying?
How much does the ibasso IT03 cost? I got the Neptune for about 220 dollars.

Anyways, I think the main problem is Kevin's source. As he said before, the noise is only present when he is using his lg g6. His laptop and old iphone do not have this problem.

It is extremely unlikely that a cable upgrade will help.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #102 of 2,715
Yeah, I did try it for 20 minutes but I didn't notice the problem with the demo. I even tested it with Shure se846 and some other ba iems but they just sound fine.
I only noticed will my new unit when I disable my "hifi" mode on the phone and receives calls with the included in mic control...
Anyway I may meet the seller this weekend (if time allow, CNY is near @@) and I will update it here.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #103 of 2,715
and Allen, the seller didn't carry the iBasso iem but I did compared with the Acoustic Research ARE10,
the neptune's bass is deeper and the sound is more transparent. (to my ear)
Plus I like the neptune design better...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #104 of 2,715
Just now when I do further testing I found the source of the problem is the driver.
When I disconnect the left driver, the right driver works out just fine (receive calls, hifi mode on-off with my G6). Whenever the connector of the left driver connects, the white noise appears.

Hopefully can get my replacement unit before Chinese New Year and I can write a review ><

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #105 of 2,715
Is anyone able to provide a comparison between the 8sh and the Gemini?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back