QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #107 of 2,715
Is anyone able to provide a comparison between the 8sh and the Gemini?

I mostly agree with what 4Fan said. The difference is very slight to almost negligible. I think you get slightly more rounded highs with Gemini but it's obvious that the Gemini's low bass mode is designed to sound very similar to 8 Hifi.

Gemini basically adds a punchy, low-mid emphasizing, stage monitoring type of sound with the bass switch. I'm not a big fan of that mode so I went with the 8CH.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #109 of 2,715
QDC 8 Hifi with custom wood faceplates :ksc75smile: The build quality is absolutely impeccable!

UbkgtoG.jpg

SsQlIl9.jpg

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #110 of 2,715
Hi all, I've go through all pages in this post but can't see much review about the qdc4. Based on my budget, I'm considering between qdc4 and 5. Could anyone write a little impression or review about these two? Thanks!

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #111 of 2,715
Hi all, I've go through all pages in this post but can't see much review about the qdc4. Based on my budget, I'm considering between qdc4 and 5. Could anyone write a little impression or review about these two? Thanks!

The QDC 4 is very clean and lean and rather neutral. Tight bass and uncolored highs. Very roughly it's the 8 studio with a smaller soundstage and less resolution. The QDC 5 is more musical, a tiny bit less detailed, highs are rounded off, mids lean slightly forward, and bass is more punchy. IMO you can't go wrong with either, but I would probably pick the 5 for vocals.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #112 of 2,715
The QDC 4 is very clean and lean and rather neutral. Tight bass and uncolored highs. Very roughly it's the 8 studio with a smaller soundstage and less resolution. The QDC 5 is more musical, a tiny bit less detailed, highs are rounded off, mids lean slightly forward, and bass is more punchy. IMO you can't go wrong with either, but I would probably pick the 5 for vocals.
I mainly listen to pop, then some rock and edm. Is the 5 hifi the best fit for these genre than the 4 studio and 5 live?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #113 of 2,715
I mainly listen to pop, then some rock and edm. Is the 5 hifi the best fit for these genre than the 4 studio and 5 live?

Hmmm...it's difficult to say. I have good things to say about both the 5 HiFi and live. The Live is very vocal forward but also more stage-monitor-ish not unsimilar to the old Westone ES customs.

The 5 HiFi is again more musical with rounded highs. My take is that Live will sound more punchy and mid-foward with more bass presence, but you'll get cleaner highs with smoother vocal tonality with the 5 Hifi. Hard decision to make.

After a lot of demo'ing with the 8 live and HiFi I went with the HiFi, but I did also enjoy the 8 Live and would still love to own one in the future.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #114 of 2,715
Hmmm...it's difficult to say. I have good things to say about both the 5 HiFi and live. The Live is very vocal forward but also more stage-monitor-ish not unsimilar to the old Westone ES customs.

The 5 HiFi is again more musical with rounded highs. My take is that Live will sound more punchy and mid-foward with more bass presence, but you'll get cleaner highs with smoother vocal tonality with the 5 Hifi. Hard decision to make.

After a lot of demo'ing with the 8 live and HiFi I went with the HiFi, but I did also enjoy the 8 Live and would still love to own one in the future.
Thanks for the summary, so I think I have to try it out myself to decide! Also try out the 4.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #115 of 2,715
Thanks for the summary, so I think I have to try it out myself to decide! Also try out the 4.
You should also try the line-up from Jomo Audio. Build quality for both Jomo and QDC is very good. Sound-wise depends on you. Tried the Gemini and Flamenco before.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #117 of 2,715
How small is the soundstage of the 4S though? Is it as small as the 3SH?

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #120 of 2,715
Has anyone tried the anole v6?
6 BA drivers w/ 4 sound signatures

I spent less time with those than the other qdc universal molds. My quick impression is that the non boosted mode (neither low or high boost) was nice, clean and balanced, and I really enjoyed the high boost for female vocals and strings. But the low boost was a bit too strong for me. I had same issue with the Gemini's low boost mode so this may just be me being sensitive to bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back