QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #556 of 2,715
The Anole VX is on sale right now at Musicteck for $2099. The 8SH is also on sale for $1399, and if you have an email coupon it comes down to $1119.20 (not applicable to VX). Anyone have the 8SH and can compare to the 8SL/Gemini/VX? I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the SL had more bass than the SH but didn't know if there were any other significant differences.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #557 of 2,715
The Anole VX is on sale right now at Musicteck for $2099. The 8SH is also on sale for $1399, and if you have an email coupon it comes down to $1119.20 (not applicable to VX). Anyone have the 8SH and can compare to the 8SL/Gemini/VX? I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the SL had more bass than the SH but didn't know if there were any other significant differences.

all of the 8 series in somewhat neutral, the 8ss is the most neutral and the 8SL and SH are warm neutral, and if you can get 8SH for 1.1k that's very good deal

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #558 of 2,715
seriously I just bought the vx LOL

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #559 of 2,715
Yayyy

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #562 of 2,715
I'm quite impressed by the sound. I was expecting detailed but boring / sterile sound signature to be honest. But this thing is quite musical as well, and resolution - details are top notch. (all switches are down) Oh, it is so beautiful too.
Do you find it to ever be sibilant? I keep struggling with that.. because someone's S sounds are really accentuated but not necessarily sharp. Some music that is recorded or mastered brightly does sound too trebly though, such as some old music.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #563 of 2,715
W900 does have a very wide soundstage. But not massive like U18. Almost in the same ballpark as Layla's stage. But the depth is not great. The only issue is, the treble has the tendency to sound etched. Apparently, it went through a revision and the revised version's treble sounds even worse. But overall, I kind of like that IEM. It's also a bit laidback. Except for the treble issue, it didn't do anything wrong.

Btw, I tried the VX with Bass and Mid switches in the On position. You were right, it does reduce the aggressiveness. But still not laidback enough for me to use it continuously for more than an hour.

Hmm.. Now I wish I'd spent more time with it when I went to 64 audio. I was in a bit of a rush though.

So you don't agree with most people saying that the Layla is overpriced? I hear so many mixed things. That, combined with the fact that they are getting a bit aged makes me a bit hesitant to get anything else from JH.

Sorry that didn't work out for you with the VX. I've always been a bit curious about the 8SS, but there's almost no info about it anywhere.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #564 of 2,715
Do you find it to ever be sibilant? I keep struggling with that.. because someone's S sounds are really accentuated but not necessarily sharp. Some music that is recorded or mastered brightly does sound too trebly though, such as some old music.

I haven't listened too much yet, but I didn't noticed any sibilant with my LPG. (all switches are down)
Trebles are not sharp or unnecessarily peaky to me, but I need more time.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #565 of 2,715
Hmm.. Now I wish I'd spent more time with it when I went to 64 audio. I was in a bit of a rush though.

So you don't agree with most people saying that the Layla is overpriced? I hear so many mixed things. That, combined with the fact that they are getting a bit aged makes me a bit hesitant to get anything else from JH.

Sorry that didn't work out for you with the VX. I've always been a bit curious about the 8SS, but there's almost no info about it anywhere.

Layla is definitely over priced, just like many other TOTLs. At the time it was launched, the price was simply ridiculous, as back then, the next expensive IEM was only $1750. They definitely need to update it soon without increasing the price much. A lot of TOTLs have either surpassed or matched its sound quality. You can find pre-owned universals for a good deal these days. But the fit of the uni can be a hit or a miss. So I wouldn’t recommend buying one now.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #566 of 2,715
Layla is definitely over priced, just like many other TOTLs. At the time it was launched, the price was simply ridiculous, as back then, the next expensive IEM was only $1750. They definitely need to update it soon without increasing the price much. A lot of TOTLs have either surpassed or matched its sound quality. You can find pre-owned universals for a good deal these days. But the fit of the uni can be a hit or a miss. So I wouldn’t recommend buying one now.
I just realized that you're probably looking for a closed back equivalent of the LCD i4 huh? That's gonna be tough lol. I'm kinda curious to try it, but I could probably only use it at home. I could probably even sell my Eikons, though, since I hardly ever use them. I also need to sell my u12t and Rhapsodio Solar since the Anole makes them both lines redundant.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #567 of 2,715
8SH for $1.1k? Man just snatch that s**t. Just do it.
Don't have the money? Just do it.
Doesn't seem like the sound sig would suit your taste? Just do it.
You're allergic to music? Just do it.
Just do it. Today.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #568 of 2,715
67087816-27D6-4260-8F7D-E3D1FFC2B18B.png
8SH for $1.1k? Man just snatch that s**t. Just do it.
Don't have the money? Just do it.
Doesn't seem like the sound sig would suit your taste? Just do it.
You're allergic to music? Just do it.
Just do it. Today.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #569 of 2,715
Man the VX is so darn good. I just found a tip that opens up the sound even more... I bought some UE900 tips with the color cores, and wow do those allow the very best of the VX to come through. Love this IEM.... wish I'd have bought during the Easter sale, but oh well. Worth every penny at full retail

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #570 of 2,715
I just realized that you're probably looking for a closed back equivalent of the LCD i4 huh? That's gonna be tough lol. I'm kinda curious to try it, but I could probably only use it at home. I could probably even sell my Eikons, though, since I hardly ever use them. I also need to sell my u12t and Rhapsodio Solar since the Anole makes them both lines redundant.

Yea, you are kinda spot-on. I am not expecting i4 kind of sound quality. Just something that sounds tonally correct without EQ, but being a touch laidback. VX checks all boxes except the laidback aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back