QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #526 of 2,715
Here is a slightly alternative take on the Anole VX. Actually not that much of an alternative take, but another data point for anyone interested in the VX.

VX is a neutral IEM with respect to its overall signature. But it does carry some brightness in its signature due to a slightly bright upper-mids and treble. But calling the IEM bright would not be correct. I guess you could say the tone of the IEM is neutral-bright. So if you are like me, who prefers a neutral-warm sound, VX may be a bit bright for you and fatigue might settle in sooner or later, as it is not a very forgiving IEM. While at the same time, it is not adamantly unforgiving either. Meaning, with well recorded tracks and a smooth sounding source, it’s going to sound quite forgiving. Also, don’t confuse brightness with leanness, as VX is not lean sounding. If anything, VX’s midrange is full bodied with a touch of brightness in the upper registers. It is tuned with clarity in mind than emotion. As result, the transparency and realism in the midrange is extremely high and noteworthy. This makes the VX an excellent reference monitor. If I was a recording engineer, I would pick the Anole VX over many TOTL IEMs I have tried so far (U10, U12, U18t, Fourte, Layla, Zeus, Phantom, Legend X, Andro, W900, K10, Katana, NT6, Samba), as it is the most correct and accurate sounding IEM in my books, except for that slight brightness.

Bass is a typical well-done BA type bass, with a priority on technicalities than impact. But flipping the bass switch tilts the scale on to the impact side. As you would expect with a BA bass, it is taut and quick in decay. But the increase in impact makes up for it. I like to leave the bass switch in the ON position, as it adds a certain fun factor. Which reminds me, VX is also very versatile with the genres. For genres like pop and electronic, the bass switch helps add a healthy, yet clean bass boost. I tried the Mid and Treble switch and it makes the IEM even more aggressive. People who love an energetic or aggressive sound would really love the VX. But people who prefer a laidback sound, VX would be a bit overwhelming even with all switches in the down/Off position. As for the soundstage, it’s a cube shaped stage with the priority for depth over width. So the soundstage may not come across as super spacious. But it is quite large stage that is adequately airy. As the resolution of the IEM is quite high, instrument separation, layering and imaging precision are effortless. The placement of instruments is a bit forward, which contributes to the IEM having the energetic/aggressive character.

While the VX is very versatile of music genres and mightn’t also work for movies, it’s not an IEM I would pick for gaming. It’s not that it won’t work for games, but I’d rather go for something like the IE80. Compared to the LCD2C, VX is going to be a bit more aggressive, softer in the bass, less warm in the midrange and may be just a hair brighter in the treble. VX might come across as having more details. But 2C has a more natural presentation. I would pick the 2C any day over the VX, if it weren’t for the hefty weight of the headphone.

I would say that's an accurate assessment. Are you happy with the purchase? Sounds like you are a bit on the fence. I like a more forward energetic sound so I have been using mine w/ treble/mid switches on and bass off. It sounds great to me! :)

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #528 of 2,715
I would say that's an accurate assessment. Are you happy with the purchase? Sounds like you are a bit on the fence. I like a more forward energetic sound so I have been using mine w/ treble/mid switches on and bass off. It sounds great to me! :)

Yea, I am torn. I have been looking for a neutral IEM, which the Anole VX is. So I want to make it work. But the aggressive sound is not working out for me. The Oslo cable from Dita, which has a laidback sound and a smooth upper-mids & treble, should pair well with the VX. But I am unable to try the pairing, as my Oslo is the standard 0.78mm 2-pin version. Apparently Dita offers the Oslo with QDC connectors on special request. But then, I have been in this hobby long enough to know that if an IEM doesn’t work with the stock cable, then high chance a DAP or cable won’t be able to change that.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #530 of 2,715
The difference between the qdc flagships are somewhat minor, 8SS is the most neutral, 8SH got a bit more bass than 8SS but less treble. 8SL has even more bass boost that 8SH. Gemini is like 8SS with more treble, and VX is like Gemini with better resolution

So with this in mind then it's either 8SH or 8SL, so the jump in quality is not that big between 8/gemini/vx ? Vx is 1k$ more than 8, the question would be if is it's worth it for the genres I listen to go from 8 to gemini?
Also how is the treble in the 8SL compared to the rest of the lineup?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #531 of 2,715
So with this in mind then it's either 8SH or 8SL, so the jump in quality is not that big between 8/gemini/vx ? Vx is 1k$ more than 8, the question would be if is it's worth it for the genres I listen to go from 8 to gemini?
Also how is the treble in the 8SL compared to the rest of the lineup?

Thanks

8SH and 8SL are neutral warm, gemini and VX are neutral V, so you have to decide what you want. VX is about 20% more expensive than the gemini and its also about 20% better than the gemini in terms of resolution/soundstage. I had the gemini before VX, and now i have VX, so i would say its worth paying the extra for VX.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #532 of 2,715
Yea, I am torn. I have been looking for a neutral IEM, which the Anole VX is. So I want to make it work. But the aggressive sound is not working out for me. The Oslo cable from Dita, which has a laidback sound and a smooth upper-mids & treble, should pair well with the VX. But I am unable to try the pairing, as my Oslo is the standard 0.78mm 2-pin version. Apparently Dita offers the Oslo with QDC connectors on special request. But then, I have been in this hobby long enough to know that if an IEM doesn’t work with the stock cable, then high chance a DAP or cable won’t be able to change that.

I agree, no cable or DAP is going to significantly alter the signature. And yes it's unfortunate QDC does not use the standard .78 pins. Sadly might need to cut your losses and move on. What else is on your potential list to try? Maybe the Flamenco, based on your preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #533 of 2,715
I'm extremely happy rn. 20190415_205811_1555383115825.jpg 20190415_205909_1555383090052.jpg 20190415_205546_1555383182906.jpg 20190415_205618_1555383164215.jpg 20190415_205704_1555383143988.jpg 20190415_210110_1555383063888.jpg 20190415_210146_1555383004276.jpg 20190415_210329_1555382976423.jpg

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #536 of 2,715
So the 2 pin isn't the standard .78? Or just needs angled plugs?

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #537 of 2,715
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #538 of 2,715
welcome to the VX club, now throw away the stock cables and get better tips :ksc75smile:
ya these tips are meh.

so far I'm using the spiral dots, haven't tried anything else. any suggestions?

share to us your impressions.
Are you blown away by the sound?

oh man.. the switches... I know there's a novelty in collecting iems, i bet it feels awesome to have a piece of something great from each of the IEM audio monsters, but being a broke boi, having 8 signatures in 1 is all I can ask for

impressions: after hearing that this was neutral, I was quite scared since I just came from the Solaris which had a very "balanced" bass, and an in-your-face midrange, both which were respectively not enough and too much for me. this is great in both. bass can be turned up when I want it, even the default setting was such a good signature I was surprised I liked it. best fit I've had so far, my fits ranging from worst to best being:

noble k10ua
shure se846
Solaris
legend x
vx

i kinda get what a previous user said about the soundstage. it's more left/right separation than reaching far. I can't describe it well, but it's enough for me. maybe it's a bit of air it's missing? but the details are immense.

I'm in love and extremely happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back