QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #2,626 of 2,715
Thank you for your reply. But QDC says there are four vent holes on both sides. Might be something blocking the holes of my V14.
Quick update. Seems like the vent holes are technically there, but mine were blocked up with something. I widened the hole a bit and blew some compressed air in gently to try to clear it up, and it vaguely worked... kind of. Not sure if the stuff in there is intentional for dampening purposes or if it's just gunk accidentally introduced, but it's likely the culprit.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #2,627 of 2,715
Anyone knows about the differences of the about-to-be-released Dmagic 3D-„S“ and the original version?

Attachments

• 035A79FD-09B1-42D9-BEFD-A4178681C91F.png
    035A79FD-09B1-42D9-BEFD-A4178681C91F.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #2,630 of 2,715
Hi, anyone can describe how is the qdc tiger?
Resolution, tuning, Soundstage, holographic, airyness
Thanks
The Tiger has its focus on sounding very clear and clean, like most QDC higher end earphones. Generally, it is on the brighter side of the spectrum and sounds really very detailed and has great instrument separation (more than any other earphone in my signature, that are all in the arround 1000 Dollar class). It has a slight accentuation to the mids, so voices sound euphoric. Still I would not consider it to sound particularly warm, it’s just a bit warmer than the other QDC high end earphones (for example Anole VX).
Bass isn`t super emphasized and more kind of "blends in" with the rest of the frequencies. It reaches quite low though, and to me is surprisingly satisfying for BA bass (usually I am a lover of dynamic driver bass and it`s been a while since I purchased a BA bass IEM). In addition, the Tiger is a "fast" IEM (meaning tones fade quickly).
Sound stage is quite holographic imo and definitely gives you an out of head feeling or the feeling of listening to your music from a slight distance (though voices are being pulled a bit to the front). I really like the Tiger! :)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #2,631 of 2,715
I would normally tell people to get a balanced cable for VX, but apparently the n6ii's balanced out sounds different from the SE and its worse than the SE? I have tried n6ii's 4.4mm out at e-e with my VX, didn't like that at all...
Hi, have you tried VX with the 3.5 out on hiby r6 gen 3? Will there be any noticeable diff if I were to swap out to a 4.4 cable?

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #2,632 of 2,715
Hi, have you tried VX with the 3.5 out on hiby r6 gen 3? Will there be any noticeable diff if I were to swap out to a 4.4 cable?
I don‘t have hiby DAP, but VX will have better sound stage especially when articulating stage borders of your sound image diffusion when balanced.

If you are considering VX check out Aur Audio Neon Pro, it’s a good rival of VX at 25% of the price.
Here is A-B test of VX vs NP
Aur Audio Neon Pro arrived…! 7weeks since the order but finally!

Basic Spec :
10BA 4 way cross over.
2Bass (Sonion AcuPass 38) + 2 Lower Mid (Sonion 37 ) + 2 Upper Mid (Sonion ) + 4 High (Knowles)
DB5A0D1D-2A03-424E-8C65-954DB57012B1.jpeg38CF81B4-07F5-4894-9157-89C7F8CE3F1E.jpeg

Price is $700-730USD depending on Singapore Dollar Fx Rate. Probably the lowest priced TOTL available for international market so far.

FR
D2082952-3B15-4654-8983-DE814868F5D4.png
07C811DD-D611-42D0-A6CF-1AB1CE0D3DD3.png

More FR analytics:

OOTB impression:
Extra ordinary amount of air!
Will Do a comparison with Qdc Anole Vx and Neon Pro’s tuning sibling See Audio Bravery later.

28518CA4-C655-4A8D-A4FD-2438CB00EBE8.jpegEE00847D-F35A-497D-BFDA-D7AB04487DC9.jpegCA704528-3F68-4966-85A9-4DAE86A12FFA.jpeg

▶︎Tuning Switch makes huge difference in bass amount. With all stock cables and ear tips, I like switch tuned off version.

▶︎OMG. Neon Pro is Bravery on steroid. Exactly I expected. Even with all stock and single ended 3.5mm, it is my Endgame for 2023 material… I can try my Bravery setting (PWA Legend II & TRI Clarion ) later to make it “transparent & fragile”.

▶︎TOTL performance without any doubt

qdc Anole VX vs Aur Audio Neon Pro
778B4B3F-250F-4806-A509-EAA117A5A02F.jpeg46CFFF29-3A89-454F-9AF7-6854EE1AB3C3.jpeg
▶︎They are White elf vs Dark Elf of ancient forest of qdc.

▶︎Bird’s eye view of grand scheme in tuning philosophy of both:

Timbre: VX ( Satin Audio Ares & H570) NP (PWA Copper 28 V2 & H570)
Top Note: Clairvoyant Finesse (VX) vs Ultra Clear Mid range (NP)
Middle Note: Beautiful & Euphoric main body (VX) vs Extraordinary Resolution (NP)
Bottom Note: Bass Impact (VX) vs Bass Impact + Bass Air moving( NP )

Top/Middle/Bottom is not referred to frequency band, it’s more of perception of what comes first and what’s left at the bottom. Borrowing analogy from perfume scent and wine tasting.

For Anole VX, the listening will be “woah!! What is this resolution! very euphoric tonality. And also great Bass as a BA

For Neon Pro, it will be
OMG, Amazing Mid Imaging! Also extra ordinary resolution. Sonion Bass heaven.

There are many TOTLs focused on upper range or lower range, but most of them play safe on mid tuning.

Neon Pro is from qdc woods but certainly has lively mid range than original qdc, which brings the magic to NP with TOTL class upper registers and actually best sounding BA bass backing up that mid.

Technical aspect: Tentative ( with PWA Ignis)
Resolution: VX (S+), Neon Pro (S)
Image Focus : VX (S-), Neon Pro (S)
Image Positioning : VX (S), Neon Pro (A+)
Image Depth & Layering : VS (S+), Neon Pro (S-)
Diffusion Field : VX (A+), Neon Pro (A-)
Note Mass: VX ( Slightly heavy), Neon Pro (Heavy)

raison de’tre:
VX = Penultimate Finesse x versatile tuning x scalability (it performs the 100% of what original source / player is able to throw into IEM)

NP = Extraordinary Midrange performance x Best BA Lower Range (Bass~Mid) x Spine Chilling Resolution x scalability

VX or NP? It’s too quick to jump to conclusion, so this is just a tentative note:

After 2 hours of listening to NP, I can still see the orthodox White Elf has better technicality especially in amount of information and spatial expressions. The Dark Elf NP is mean while more mid-range focused so I can hear more emotional nuances from the vocals of NP. Considering NP is 25% of what VX costs, The technical gap is forgivable. Also this is only 60 minutes of first impression, I may find a best pair of cable and ear tips later that may bring NP to par with VX and surpasses in some areas.

NP has better bass and vocal imaging over VX at current state, no need to mention DUNU SA6 the mini-VX.
The “Spine Chilling Resolution⚡ “of NP is a unique speciality. It is resolving but not edgy or harsh. It just chills your spine and very breathtaking.
You get the “deadly resolving but not offensive feeling.

See Audio Bravery vs Aur Audio Neon Pro
D3EE7ED8-08F6-4F2E-B35D-47BF7698CEA3.jpeg
▶︎able to simulate my Bravery tuning on Neon Pro with PWA Ignis at 90% for “transparent & fragile” style presentation. Bravery is still better hand on this category. Bravery is good at Thin sounds.

Cable Roll:
PWA Ignis : U-tuning, add mid bass weight, warmth, and more breathable air

PWA Copper 28 V2: Best Balanced Match, natural gain level increase, current pair.

PWA Copper M2: Natural and slight hint on bass weight addituon.

PWA Legend II: mid boosted fun and engaging

Softears Cable: similar cable to PWA, single ended, actually quite good pair! Natural and hint of upper mid boost, may lack some air though.

Linsoul LSC08: U-tuning, good pair too.

Hakugei x See Audio cable : Similar response to Softears cable but it comes with more treble

Hakugei Sea-Elf cable (Kuro?): One of weird tuning, very very hard to explain. It sucks distance between vocal and will put vocal in your head, but it also generates diffusing field, making you feel vocals are singing in your head while you standing on concert hall. Weird! But nothing else does this… Maybe a keeper.

KBEAR Limpid Pro: Ok. upper mid and treble emphasis

KBEAR Hazy : Quite good, natural gain level increase with some bass weight addition

XINHS Graphene 8 core: slight bright emphasis, similar to Softears Cable

XINHS Graphene 16 core: Bright emphasis. Borderline sibilance.

Moondrop Line V: Bright U tuning, Upper 10khz and 20hz sub bass emphasis, nice pair.

Tripowin Mele Stock cable: Not a good pair, I noticed NP’s stock 3.5 cable uses similar cable with Mele, and out of curiosity I A-B tested, they sound night and day, NP stock is one of best matching high visibility with well balanced one, but Mele’s stock cable sound utterly rubbish on NP, it‘s muddy.

Left (NP Stock) Right (Mele Stock)
39F731C5-E40B-4F8E-8744-97881228F6B5.jpeg
149314B7-B07B-43CA-8396-F629DDB5EE3A.jpegC376BF26-3F4E-4B77-913F-9B821EEA23F8.jpeg
Even the connectors are similar ones. How come they sound so different? Only difference is the plug🤔 Plug does look high-end finish on NP‘s stock, hmmmm very interesting.

Moondrop Coax Single 6N Crystal OCC: upper mid emphasis with calmer treble and bass, wow vocal booster. For treble sensitive group, this may be a good match. I desire more 15khz+ with NP, if not this would be a good balance, similar to Monarch stock tuning level of treble extension. Excels at spatial expression. I may come back to this cable eventually.

XENNS Cable (Tea stock): It was a bad matching with Tea as it pushes down the already calmer mid Of Tea, it does also pushes down Neon Pro’s mid as an anchoring point, bright tilt from mid. Actually a nice match. Closer to what I’m seeking for NP, a dark elf specialized in forbidden magic (bright neutral with accent in sub-bass and slight scoped lower mid)

Cable roll conclusion.

PW Audio Copper 28 V2, a not excessively overpriced one $89, actually handled Mussorgsky’s heavy brass harmony the best.

https://tidal.com/track/77611296

It handled better than higher end models of PWAs. Great synergy and most natural sounding.

here are some other qdc tuning family
From my experience with qdc families they have different purposes:

qdc Anole VX
▶︎ Easily highest resolving among all, nicely versatile with 3 tuning switches

DUNU SA6
▶︎More all rounder tuned VX, with less versatile but very pleasant timbre that never exhaust audiences (VX on harsh settings may cause “hmmm too resolving!” Type of too much feeling.
▶︎Vented Sonion 38 woofer is very nice and dynamic feeling on SA6

See Audio Bravery = Neon Pro
▶︎more younger generation oriented qdc tuning = U-shape, specialized in coloration for female vocals and high transparenc. On a hot summer day, rainy and cloudy sky, you may want Bravery instead of warmer SA6.

TRI Starsea
▶︎A baby VX, with a little off gain spots and more U-tuned signature, it still has 2 tuning switches which comes in handy, very good IEM around $100, if the bass DD updated to modern LCP ones.

So keeping SA6 is an insurance that if you want more warmth and more all-purpose usage with less technicalities.

Still, SA6‘s technicality is pretty satisfactory for many playing format unless you are going for hi-res class, of which VX and possibly Neon Pro when amped properly will show their real potentials of which SA6 I feel is a regular Porsche class sports car when compared hypercar class (like Lamborghini) VX/possibly Neon Pro

I do see a redundancy at some level, so it’s whether you would afford that redundancy or simply trading SA6 away for maybe upcoming new Aur Products🤔

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #2,634 of 2,715
Quick update. Seems like the vent holes are technically there, but mine were blocked up with something. I widened the hole a bit and blew some compressed air in gently to try to clear it up, and it vaguely worked... kind of. Not sure if the stuff in there is intentional for dampening purposes or if it's just gunk accidentally introduced, but it's likely the culprit.
How did you widen the hole?:astonished:

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #2,635 of 2,715
I tried accessing the link but it says that they dnt have any products on sale though, would be interested to demo :)
It’s a small singaporean hout couture brand, operates by two people, they are not taking any new order due to excessive new orders at this moment.

They will start takimg orders from mid April.

There is an Aur Audio thread where you can find more info.

Anole VX is amazing but Neon Pro has very close performance, so it‘s worth a try.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #2,637 of 2,715
Well, I have high hopes for Neon Pro now. Going to demo at Nicholas place tmr and hopefully it wows me enuf to buy. Nt reli a big fan of vx price tag haha ...
Ah!! Didn’t know you are from Sigapore😄 You should be surprised😄👍 As many hardcore head-fi members also got shocked how well tuned Neon Pro is.

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #2,638 of 2,715
How did you widen the hole?:astonished:
The resin forming the cross in the middle of the vent hole is extremely fragile. I wasn't really intending to remove them at first, but they broke right off and left a more conventional looking vent hole. I just did the same to the other unit and cleaned out a bit of what looked like dust from inside. It vents now, just very slowly. Not sure if the blockage was bad QC or intentional...

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #2,639 of 2,715
It's amazing how how pricing affects one's perception of a product - (at least for me)

I tried the Folk today, didn't know the price, no clue at all. Before trying out the Folk, I tried the 3D and Tiger, both whose prices were tagged in front of me (the Folk doesn't)

After listening to the Folk - I was convined that it was priced slightly above the 3D and below the Tiger. Then after a few hours, I checked the price, was honestly surprised that I have over estimated it's pricing! Talk about punching WWAAYYYYY over it's asking price! Plus some CanJam special pricing even pulled the pricing down (a bit)...I'm one happy camper! :beerchug::beyersmile::ksc75smile:

20230326_202423.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #2,640 of 2,715
It's amazing how how pricing affects one's perception of a product - (at least for me)

I tried the Folk today, didn't know the price, no clue at all. Before trying out the Folk, I tried the 3D and Tiger, both whose prices were tagged in front of me (the Folk doesn't)

After listening to the Folk - I was convined that it was priced slightly above the 3D and below the Tiger. Then after a few hours, I checked the price, was honestly surprised that I have over estimated it's pricing! Talk about punching WWAAYYYYY over it's asking price! Plus some CanJam special pricing even pulled the pricing down (a bit)...I'm one happy camper! :beerchug::beyersmile::ksc75smile:

How IS it priced and what were your impressions of the sound of the three in comparison?

I have compared the Tiger and Dmagic 3D and found the biggest difference in Mids and Treble. The Tiger definitely has a better resolution and extends further....and also a quite noticeable lift in the mids. The Dmagic sounds flatter in comparison. I wouldn`t say is has more bass quantity than the Tiger, but because the mids are not lifted, the perception of bass of the Dmagic is different and it feels like it has more mid bass. Though both are definitely not bass focussed IEMs.
How does the Folk sound like?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back