Q701's and xonar STX or creative ZX sound card
Dec 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sharp-Shooter

New Head-Fier
Hello im looking to purchase the Q701's for myself, i just have a question with the Xonar STX or the creative ZX sound card be enough to power these headphones to a point where i would be able to enjoy the sound quality coming out for gaming, the reason why i ask is because when i read about these headphones some are saying Xonar STX work GREAT with these headphones alone, and some are saying i will need a dedicated amp to enjoy it, i dont wanna shell out 500 bucks to have the headphones unproperly powered and get poor sound...

so to make things simple, will a xonar work straight with Q701's? or should i get the Q701's with an E9K(or similar) amp instead

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 11
thank you zal, so just to be sure getting one of these sound cards will power th Q701 alone without any external amp what so ever and i will be able to really enjoy the sound in games, i really hope so!

i will post again when i pick them up some time, not just to look into whether to get an STX, titanium, or a ZX-ZXR

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 11
i have a xonar st- it has a headphone amp which can power up to 600 ohm headphones. i use it for gaming daily

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 11
I am always baffled on how people seem to think the software distortions make for a better gaming experience. 

Get the magni and modi. Your headphones are 2.1. Get the best 2.1 experience and leave it at that. That is what I have done, and I can hear things around me in game just fine.

Dolby and all the fancy positioning software just adds echo to give you the impression of a really big sound stage, and from that the software tires to introduce surround sound. (at least that is how the asus essence cards would work).

Look, I have the STX card, and a dedicated dac/amp. I can game on both just fine, and the amp/dac (no part number since they are custom built) sound a lot better.

Stick with the magni/modi and never look back.  

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
ourfpshero what headphones do you use with your sound card? the ST and the STX is almost the same, one is PCI, other is PCI-E

Just get the Essence STX (PCI-E), it's cheaper.
My Essence STX can drive my 600-Ohm headphones and the Q701' are 62-Ohms(?).

Try asking at this link about amping the Q701.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
ourfpshero what headphones do you use with your sound card? the ST and the STX is almost the same, one is PCI, other is PCI-E

i have used many different headphones with the xonar st. currently using a hifiman he-300 and an audio technica ath-a900x

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 11
My set is Xonar STX+ Q701/HD650 and I can say that they are running very well. I do not have any external amps to compare but I am very satisfied with the sound quality coming from my sound card.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 11
In my personal experience, I would go for the Creative Zx.
X-Fi has some great technologies. As you now know, the new technology used in this is SBX. However I must point out, this is still new(ish). By what I've been reading it's a really good.

Both the STX and Zx produce enough power to drive up to 600 Ohm Impedance Headsets and are both great, but I do think that the STX is pointed more towards true Music Lovers and not really gamers.

At the end of the day it's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back