Q701 impressions thread
Nov 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4,726 of 9,602
ThurstonX, Evshrug and koiloco,
Sorry, but in what weird language are u talking?
With such alien names, i bet u're from Pluto anyway... LOL
English translation? :wink:)

Koonta t'chuta, Solo?

Ev-shrug, Everett (Ev for short) and Shrug, cuz I try to stay casual... It's an ideal I work towards.
Don't worry about the local dialect, you'll pick it up. We're talking about tube amps, amplifiers with little glass lightbulb-y-things from the height of the old analogue sound days, and gifts we buy our little amps.

ThurstonX, since he didn't explain his name, is obviously the twin of the Human Torch (instead of "Flame On!" you'll hear "Thurston!").

Stock Q701 with pads swapped for K712 = beer

Sounds like a job for me! Can I get a hard cider instead? Angry orchard is niiice...

I think that's definitely the beauty and strong point of tube amps: the personalization of the sound through tube. That helps to mask the flaws of the headphones and reach the sound you like the most. With solid state you are set on the sound or you need software equalizer in most cases.

Definitely, there is more differences in character between different tubes than you get from one modern-day solid state amp to another. That's why I have one SS amp, and a bunch of tubes... basically I only use the (nice) SS amp (FiiO E12) when I'm too impatient. And while an EQ is easy and will make certain frequencies more or less prominent... different tubes affect soundstage and sweeten the sound, I find tubes to be (usually) less fatiguing to listen to and genuinely give me moments of euphoria.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #4,727 of 9,602

Thanks for the response. I'm going to see if I can audition a modded Q701 with the previously mentioned amps, as while I don't own the Q701, I know someone who would probably be interested in modding it (the only thing he complains about is the bass response), to see what each sounds like. It'll probably end up turning into a night of headphone listening/tinkering if we can get a mini mini meet going. Hopefully the whole four other people interested in audio I know would bring their amps. But if it doesn't happen, I'll probably go with Q701 + Aune T1, as an amp/DAC together would fit my needs better, and I'm not sure they would get out enough to be transportable. The Hifiman EF-2, another tube amp/DAC combo, didn't really impress me as much as the T1.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #4,728 of 9,602
Koonta t'chuta, Solo?
I googled that, as I know where it comes from, but have no idea what it means.  And I found this.  That is some seriously geeky Schiit.  But I'm afraid I have to correct your spelling:  Koona t'chuta, Solo?
As a matter of fact, I am going somewhere :wink:
Ev-shrug, Everett (Ev for short) and Shrug, cuz I try to stay casual... It's an ideal I work towards.
Don't worry about the local dialect, you'll pick it up. We're talking about tube amps, amplifiers with little glass lightbulb-y-things from the height of the old analogue sound days, and gifts we buy our little amps.
Nice to meet you, Everett.  Stay cool.
ThurstonX, since he didn't explain his name, is obviously the twin of the Human Torch (instead of "Flame On!" you'll hear "Thurston!").
X = mysterious...  OK, so years and years ago I needed an online nick.  I was listening to Sonic Youth, so Thurston came to mind.  The 'X'?  Dunno.  Maybe I always subconsciously liked the sound of Malcom X.  Shouldn't it be, "Thirst On!" though?
Sounds like a job for me! Can I get a hard cider instead? Angry orchard is niiice...Definitely, there is more differences in character between different tubes than you get from one modern-day solid state amp to another. That's why I have one SS amp, and a bunch of tubes... basically I only use the (nice) SS amp (FiiO E12) when I'm too impatient. And while an EQ is easy and will make certain frequencies more or less prominent... different tubes affect soundstage and sweeten the sound, I find tubes to be (usually) less fatiguing to listen to and genuinely give me moments of euphoria.
I'll have to try Angry Orchard.  Used to be a huge fan of cider.  Thanks for the tip.
I had a euphoric headphone moment last night listening to a Spiritualized mix I concocted four years ago (The Gospel According to Spiritualized; yeah, I'm old enough to have made many a mixed tape in my day. The habit translated well into the digital age) on my newly re-modded HE-500 w/the Lyr + Matsu****as, and a glass of VA's finest native-grape vino (Horton's Norton).  Gonna have to do that again with different tubes 
darthsmile.gif

Oh look! White space!  I still love my Q701 
k701smile.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #4,729 of 9,602
  Thanks for the response. I'm going to see if I can audition a modded Q701 with the previously mentioned amps, as while I don't own the Q701, I know someone who would probably be interested in modding it (the only thing he complains about is the bass response), to see what each sounds like. It'll probably end up turning into a night of headphone listening/tinkering if we can get a mini mini meet going. Hopefully the whole four other people interested in audio I know would bring their amps. But if it doesn't happen, I'll probably go with Q701 + Aune T1, as an amp/DAC together would fit my needs better, and I'm not sure they would get out enough to be transportable. The Hifiman EF-2, another tube amp/DAC combo, didn't really impress me as much as the T1.

Looks like a fun little amp, and only having to buy one tube will save you $$$.  The only negative I read about it was some "interference" (might be the wrong word) after the unit has run for a while and gets quite hot.  Tube amps do get hot.  Maybe you could test that.  No idea how long you'd have to run it.

Any idea what DAC it uses?

Hope your mini-mini meet works out 
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #4,730 of 9,602
Here are a few shots of my headband mod.  The bandana is perfect, in spite of the way it's wrapped.  It doesn't feel uneven at all sitting on my mostly bald head.  Didn't take photos of what's underneath, but basically the underside of the headband lacks the bumps, those having been replaced by a piece of thin, relatively dense, white/translucent foam (not the squishable kind I used in the foam mod; squishable foam is certainly an option, and I might try it, if I have a thin enough piece).  I put some carpet tape on both sides of that foam to adhere it to the headband, and to keep the bandana in place.  Can't beat carpet tape for stickiness, and it's quite thin.

Because the full bandana folded into its final shape was too think, I cut it in half and folded that.

I found the musical notes bandana at Michaels the other day and couldn't resist getting it.  It's a simplistic mod to be sure, but it accomplishes my two main goals: 1) it's far more comfortable than the bumps; 2) I like the way it looks 
k701smile.gif
  Now I don't think about the Q701 sitting on my head, I just enjoy them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4,731 of 9,602
^ try the crisp apple. I really liked it. And was reminded that I am a light weight, which can be a benefit.

I'm testing my new Creative Sound Blaster Z, with my Q701 out of familiarity. In short sessions, my wrapped and padded Q701 might be MORE comfortable than the bare K712. Maybe about equal :p

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,734 of 9,602

Hmmm, your post won't quote, but thanks.  And yes, Made on Pluto, but it's printed with a special ink only visible when rays of reflected Plutonian light strike it.  I plan to be cryogenically preserved and awoken when those rays will arrive at Earth.  Then I'll post a pic!  No doubt Head-Fi will still be going strong in that far distant future.

Confused yet?  :wink:
China FTW!!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,735 of 9,602
Ooh. OOOOOh!
Thirst On!
Go to my journal thread (linked in my sig), watch the TrueAudio video I just posted there with your Q701. Trust me!

Pretty cool.  I recall helping a niece set up her new laptop several years ago (an Acer, IIRC), and showing her how the sound control panel could be used.  I switched it to 3D mode, and we were both pretty surprised at how well it worked from just laptop speakers.  The demo sound really did seem to circle around behind us.  If I were a gamer, I can see how this would be beneficial.  The Qs do show off their soundstage.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,736 of 9,602
amp recommendations for the q701 with the xfi titanium hd sound card? i was originally going to go with the magni but i've heard opinions that together they sound too bright, which i want to stay away from. i'd like something that could be strong enough to power future headphones i might buy (he400, dt770). dont care much for portability.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,737 of 9,602
  amp recommendations for the q701 with the xfi titanium hd sound card? i was originally going to go with the magni but i've heard opinions that together they sound too bright, which i want to stay away from. i'd like something that could be strong enough to power future headphones i might buy (he400, dt770). dont care much for portability.

Q701 with Magni is a bit bright at first, but after more than 400 hours of burn-in, I can assure you, you would have a first hand experience of Stockholm Syndrome..

The Q701 would be much warmer after burned-in, and while you would really enjoy it, I dare say you would actually miss that 'bright' sound sig, I know I did
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4,738 of 9,602
^ pretty much any amp that's good with the Q701 will work well. For a reasonable budget around $100, most people recommend the Shiit Magni or FiiO E09k. "Too" much or anything is a matter of opinion among these choices. The Magni is a bit more refined and clear, while the FiiO E09k is warmer and more forgiving of bad recordings. They're both pretty close and very good. I found the character of the E12 sits between those two amps, it has enough power for the headphones you listed (and almost any), and the portability is just a bonus (clean power supply too).

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,739 of 9,602
I think that's definitely the beauty and strong point of tube amps: the personalization of the sound through tube. That helps to mask the flaws of the headphones and reach the sound you like the most. With solid state you are set on the sound or you need software equalizer in most cases.

Except my Laconic tube amp is made in Russia and can't easily find alternative tubes for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back